No music

revrob

No music
« on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:52 am »
My integrated amp developed a problem and I had to send it back to the manufacturer under warranty right after Christmas. I'm having some real withdrawal pains as I can not listen to my HT3s. They are just sitting there not making beautiful music.

I thought about going to therapy but what I need is my amp back. I don't know how long it will take for it to come back but what am I supposed to do. Every time I hear music I know if I had my Salks working the depression would go away.

Someone help me, oh the agony!

srb

Re: No music
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 02:07 am »
Everyone should have something like the Scythe Kama Bay Kro SDA-1100 amplifier in their audio toolbox for situations such as these.

http://www.platinummicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=SPSCSDA1100

Steve

Meicheng

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:03 am »
Never heard of it, but at 10 watts a channel it is not going to adequately power his speakers anyway.  But, the price is right! 

srb

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:33 am »
I have used it to power 86dB speakers to workable listening levels.  Ideal?  Not at all, but it sounded so much better than no sound at all.

Steve

mchuckp

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:48 am »
I get the withdrawl when my wife is home for an exteneded period of time.  She always wants me to "Turn it down".  Why can't they get it? 

Sorry 'bout your amp. :(

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2010, 07:48 am »
We should start a Rent-A-Amp company that sends out loaners when customer's are getting fixed.  We can charge per day.  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2010, 09:58 am »
We should start a Rent-A-Amp company that sends out loaners when customer's are getting fixed.  We can charge per day.  :D
Better yet....always have a spare handy.... :wink:

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2010, 10:16 am »
Hi,

How do you think I feel I bought an amplifier shipped it from the US to Australia which cost me in the vicinity of $7000au and I've been able to play it for about 30 minutes.  I have had it since November and it is currently in Melbourne (I live 2000 miles away) trying to figure out why it keeps blowing multiple fuses and tripping my safety electrical switch.

I bought this amplifier in anticipation of purchasing a pair of ht3 or ht4's which require a lot of power  :duh:.

Luckily I do have a backup amplifier but I do feel your pain.

Regards

Rod

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2010, 10:52 am »
You could try this to occupy the hours -  :banghead:

or this -  :duh:

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2010, 12:43 pm »
Somebody drop this man off an old amp or receiver.
If I were an amp mfg. I'd send you a loaner...but I'm not  :)

revrob

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2010, 12:55 pm »
Thanks for you replies. I get the wife thing too, its too loud. There is no such thing honey, I only have it on 3. When she goes out I really get to turn it up. Maybe I should think about a spare amp but how to get it by the wife is another thing.

Maybe an old receiver with some decent power. Anyone have a recommendation for under $200.00. I don't think the 10 watt amp is going to do it.

Thanks,
Steve

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:43 pm »
Maybe an old receiver with some decent power. Anyone have a recommendation for under $200.00. I don't think the 10 watt amp is going to do it.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve -

I don't know if this was a fluke, but our associate John Fallows picked up a Panasonic XR57 receiver for me for $125 at a flee market.  100 digital watts per channel. Makes for a nice little spare amp.  We also have an XR45 we use at the shop for testing purposes (same receiver with no HDMI).  It's probably not an amp for critical listening, but you get a lot of bang for the buck if you can find one used.

- Jim

revrob

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:04 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the input. Radio shack has a cheap Sherwood RX-4109, 100 watt a channel for $99.00 so I might pick up one while I wait.

Steve

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:38 pm »
I bought the Rat Shack Sherwood to run my CA0W1's off of the little flat screen I have in my work room.  I've been perfectly happy with it.  Lots better than the sounds of silence. 

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2010, 08:04 pm »
Better yet....always have a spare handy.... :wink:

How is that gonna make us money?  :)

revrob,

Plop yourself in front of the TV today and watch two awesome football games, then two more great ones tomorrow.  That should help.  ;)

Thebiker

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2010, 08:35 pm »
For all true addicts a spare is a must!  That's why I have 2 tube rigs set up in the house and a NAD 322BEE in a closet just in case :o.  The music MUST PLAY.
Walt

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2010, 08:55 pm »
There are a couple of used amps here: http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/used/used.htm Probably could ship on Monday.

Wayner

s_cervin

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2010, 05:36 pm »
Thanks for you replies. I get the wife thing too, its too loud. There is no such thing honey, I only have it on 3. When she goes out I really get to turn it up. Maybe I should think about a spare amp but how to get it by the wife is another thing.

Thanks,
Steve

I consider myself lucky because the wife will allow me to play at whatever volume I choose.  Left the system on yesterday (accident) and came back a few hours later and asked the wife why she didn't turn it off.  She replied "thought you were breaking something in"    she is a keeper!

Mudslide

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »
This may not post....been having tons of trouble posting and PM'ing today.   :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I thought you should give Parts Express a look at their Emotiva BPA-1 clones.  Apparently if I post the actual link, something in the AC software makes the entire post disappear.  Anyway, they're 139 bucks for 75W per side or 150 bridged.  It (they) should get your HT3's running in a pinch.

(EDIT:  Yea, it posted.  Steve, this is what I was trying to PM to you....)

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:50 pm »
don't know if it was mentioned but go to the local mom and pops audio store
look at the upgrade from yours and ask for a week to evaluate
or a day to get the SALK reminder