FS: Mint Pathos Classic MKII hybrid amp--PRICE DROP (SOLD--Thanks Den!!)

Audioclyde

I've decided to offer my mint condition Pathos Classic Mk II hybrid amp for sale.  I purchased new from Kevin Deal/Upscale Audio last spring; its cosmetically and functionally in like new condition.  I have the original double boxes, remote, manual, etc.  Mine has the somewhat hard to find reddish wood front.

Great little amp; really cool looking and sounds great too.  It uses 2 tubes from the 6922 family in its pre section, and I could quite easily hear the different flavors various tubes lent to the sound when doing substantial tuberolling.  I currently have an old (vintage wise  :D) pair of Amperex 6JD8's in it; I also have a pair of Siemens that could be a possibility.

I bought this to pwr a pair of B&W outdoor speakers that are on the patio adjacent to the music room (where the amp sits); the pool is on hold for a while, so I've decided to part with the amp.

PM if interested in pics; I'll try and get some taken this weekend.  I have substantial 'old' flawless feedback on Agon (under my username there:  Rrsclyde) and have also had numerous dealings with various ACircle members.

Asking $995; split shipping & paypal at that price.

My regular email is:  rshorb@jjdcs.com.

Thanks!

Randy
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2010, 11:44 am by Audioclyde »

Audioclyde

Re: FS: Mint Pathos Classic MKII hybrid amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:18 pm »
Bump for this little Italian beauty that sings as good as it looks  :D!!

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:19 pm »
Valentine's Day bump; give her this little Italian beauty instead of roses & chocolates!!!

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:15 pm »

And this is what happens if I do

:cuss:    :rules:      :argue:   :deadhorse:

:jester:

Frisco

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:40 pm »
Valentine's Day bump; give her this little Italian beauty instead of roses & chocolates!!!

mmmm....I wonder how my Italian beauties would sound with yours?  :drool:

I need to stay on track for my search for a rack  :(  :(

Audioclyde

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:08 am »
mmmm....I wonder how my Italian beauties would sound with yours?  :drool

I used to own Electa Amator II's; still one of my all-time favorites.  I can only imagine how th G's must sound!!!  The little Pathos would have the current & watts for them I imagine, with the ability to tweak the flavor a bit rolling the pre section tubes  :eyebrows:!!

Audioclyde

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2010, 09:14 pm »
gentle bump; this is a beauty of an amp. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:35 am »
I can't believe this is still available!  Great amp at a great price!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:48 am »
I owned this and its Mk3 successor; both ran flawlessly, super sweet and musical, fantastic staging/imaging, within its power rating has just about everything you could expect (obviously no earth shaking 20 Hz bass).  Very highly recommended.  I can't think of any amp with a more gorgeous appearance. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:56 am »
Thanks guys; they are fabulous to look at as well as listen to!

I just have too many amps; and would like to sell of course to buy more stuff--like one of those new EE DACs  :icon_lol:!

Audioclyde

Re: FS: Mint Pathos Classic MKII hybrid amp--PRICE DROP
« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2010, 02:13 pm »
Price drop above!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: FS: Mint Pathos Classic MKII hybrid amp--PRICE DROP
« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:25 pm »
Randy
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've sold everything listed at Audiogon.  It's not cheap, but having stuff lay around taking up space and money that could otherwise go for other purposes is costly, measured both physically and emotionally. 

Frankly, your images are, um, awful.  It's a stretch to describe as mint then post such fuzzy images.  Once I drove the better part of a day to look at something described as excellent condition.  How awful to find out the images were so misleading (an almost-basket case motorcycle). 

Take the images outside with no direct sunlight, the more overcast the better, with a high-resolution camera, catching every angle including the bottom.  Get close ups of areas prone to wear if you intend readers to take the mint word seriously.  Actually, it's better not to use "mint" for something that age, because it's so overused and AG doesn't allow it based on their pretty reasonable rating system.  Even though images posted with your add will be lower resolution, you can email the original high-rez images later to shoppers.  Shoot the cartons and all packing materials, OEM cord, owner's manual, etc, etc, even the invoice if you have the original.   

My 2 cayacs toward helping you sell it.  I got only about 41% of MSRP for my one of my last items, AG rating 8 of 10, a $7500 preamp.  IMO that's about what you should expect (your item is lower cost, indicating a potentially higher resell rate, but it's also been replaced by one or two newer models, for a wash, IMO...)

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 09:30 pm by James Romeyn »

bacobits1

Consider it SOLD.

D

toobluvr

You buying it Den?

I've been tempted to snare this beauty many times over the years.  Guess it will just hafta stay on my wish list for now.     8)

Audioclyde

Den's the lucky winner!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Is this the famous amp?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Consider it SOLD.

D
D
I am unfamiliar with the gear in your system though it obviously evolved over many years and was assembled with tender loving care.  (Um, please send your housekeeper over to my workspace will ya? :lol:

Many members (esp me) may be curious how the Pathos compares to your all tube integrated, the only other amp I know of using the same E34L output tubes as the very highly regarded Spanish Ars-Sonum.   

bacobits1

John, I also have been seriously looking at this amp in the past along with the Manley Stingray.
Lots of Stingrays FS right now.
I was also looking at your Prima Luna FS. Could not go that much $$ right now. My accountant said sooo.

I am surprised someone else didn't snatch this up earlier. These go for a bit more $$.
Randy's price drop was too irrasistable to pass up. Thank you Randy!

The Pathos should be interesting to my thinking. Single driver speakers in general lack a bit of sparkle on the top end. I didn't notice that so much until a friend recently brought over a small stand mounted 2 way that sounded excellent with the Vista i34 amp and sub.

The Pathos is supposed to have an extended top to the point some people called it a bit bright.
So that should fit with single drivers and pose no problems. It has been criticized for being a bit bass shy. I should have that covered with the sub. Again, a good fit? We will see. The Raysonic 128 is not aggressive at all, so I don't anticipate problems there. My Phono is sounding fabulous.

James, I am the keeper of the castle, thank you. We don't like clutter and since moving to a house in the south (no basement) we got rid of many things not used in a long  time. We moved again 2 weeks ago to outside Charlotte, NC. I also have a new room to mess with again, a bit bigger than the one pictured.

I have not had transistors here for quite some time so this may not be to my liking after all. We'll see, I will report back what I think. I have not made any major mistakes in the past choosing equipment. Not easy auditioning most of this stuff.

D

Audioclyde

Den, we didn't even discuss your setup; I used to have the Raysonic 168 (before going the computer/MW Transporter route) and it was a great player.  From the comparisons I've seen with the 128, you've got a real winner.

In my system, rolling the pre tubes in the Pathos certainly allowed me to shape/flavor the sound--the Amperex 6dj8's in there now are good, but if you're looking for a bit more energy in the top end, you may want to consider Siemens or even Telefunken if you want to spend bigger $.  I'll try and dig into my boxes/stash and see if I have an old pair of Siemens 6922's that I could send with the amp.

Randy

toobluvr

John, I was also looking at your Prima Luna FS.

I am surprised someone else didn't snatch this up earlier. These go for a bit more $$.

Yeah, Den.  I worked a good price when I bought it, so I'm passing the savings on.

The Pathos should be interesting to my thinking. Single driver speakers in general lack a bit of sparkle on the top end. I didn't notice that so much until a friend recently.....

That's exactly what Peggy and I heard in her Brines 1600.   Just not enough extension on the top.  Always sounded dull and lacking in air, sparkle and immediacy, which is why she sold them.

It has been criticized for being a bit bass shy. I should have that covered with the sub...

should not be a problem with the single driver since it doesn't reach too low.  Another problem we had with the Brines.  Just too lacking on both extremes for our taste.

I have not had transistors here for quite some time so this may not be to my liking after all. We'll see, I will report back what I think. I have not made any major mistakes in the past choosing equipment.

you might be surprised.  I'm currently playing around with an old Bedini SS amp and having some fun.    I'm actually shocked at how good it is.  For the moment, it's holding my attention.  We'll see how long that lasts and if I once again succumb to the siren call of the toob goddess!    :lol:

Enjoy and be sure to give us your impressions.