Better Sound With ITunes vs. Squeezecenter???

Audioclyde

Better Sound With ITunes vs. Squeezecenter???
« on: 15 Jan 2010, 01:05 am »
For over a year now I've been happily using my MW Transporter, connected via ethernet cable to the Mac mini that holds my music files and the Squeezecenter software, of course using the Squeezecenter software as the 'player'.  I just recently installed a Wireworld Supernova glass mini toslink to toslink cable, attached to the toslink/optical digi input of the Transporter.

Tonight for the first time I fired up the system and really gave a listen using Itunes as the 'player', feeding the MW Transporter's optical input.  Much to my surprise, I'm thinking the sound is even better than when I'm using Squeezecenter.....its certainly different (I have all the typical settings on Itunes, i.e. no crossfade, max volume, etc).

Is this a fairly typical reaction, and I just never caught on  :o??

This makes me wonder if Amarra would sound even better?  I didn't see anything on their website, but it doesn't appear that Amarra would work with the Transporter as the DAC?

Any insight/thoughts/experiences much appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy

Audioclyde

Re: Better Sound With ITunes vs. Squeezecenter???
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 12:51 am »
Well, this evening I've downloaded and installed the demo version of Amarra Mini.  I've confirmed to the Sonic guys that indeed Amarra functions with the MW Transporter used as the DAC (via the Transporter's optical/toslink input).

Amarra mini sounds really good; there just seems to be more body and weight, and a slightly larger soundstage when compared to either Itunes by itself, or compared to play using the Squeezecenter software feeding the MW Transporter....

Again, I'm quite surprised at the improvement that I perceive; makes me wonder if further improvement can be had if I didn't have to use the optical digital input (although for a number of years I have found that a good glass toslink cable often sounded better to me than various coax digi cables I've tried).

Maybe I'm the only one that is just now discovering this  :oops:!!

At any rate, I'm going to seriously consider Amarra Mini, especially with it on sale for a few more days.

I've also downloaded the demo version of Pure Vinyl and will be giving it a listen this weekend!

Randy

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010, 02:51 am »
Randy,

Glad to hear you're working things out and getting better sound. I haven't used a squeezebox for years so I can't honestly comment on that issue. I will say that I've been using Amarra for months and love it. I honestly can't imagine going back to regular iTunes and being happy. I like to describe the difference as going from regular cable TV to HD cable TV. Everything is just improved across the board.

I use MacBook Pro>Amarra w/iTunes>USB output>Sonicweld Diverter>DAC. I've never tried the optical output, but I've ready many times that it's inferior to a quality USB>S/Pdif converter. YMMV, but it's something you might want to try down the line.

Have fun!

John

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:02 am »
Hi John,

This really has me thinking about a DAC with USB input; I love the sound I get from the Modwright Transporter, but of course no USB input.  I'm still really happy with the GF A-534B 300B SET integrated; thanks again for all your input!

I have a feeling that I'm going to want a tubed output DAC; the EE DAC that's coming out soon appears to meet all my 'want' list except its USB input is limited to 24/48, and I've found I really like my music files upsampled to 24/96 and have done most of my files with Sample Manager.

Best,

Randy

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:12 am »
Randy,

Glad to hear you're digging the GF A-534B. I'm loving mine with the standard upgraded tube package and Sheng-Ya speakers. What a great combo!

As someone who has been using a USB based rig for the last few years, I would recommend getting a separate USB>S/Pdif converter, and a separate DAC. That will allow you much more upgrade flexibility down the line. Plus the USB receivers used in most low-mid. priced DAC's are not very good. I've learned the hard(expensive) way over the years.

One other note-my current DAC (Xindak DAC-8) has both tube and SS outputs. In some ways I actually like the SS output better. As a avid tube lover this really surprised me. I guess what I'm saying is find a DAC that sounds great and don't necessarily fixate on output topography.

Have fun!

shaynet

• http://www.imfaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2010, 05:57 pm »
A DAC with USB input is no longer required to enjoy use of USB.  I just saw this today:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0210/m2tech_hiface_usb.htm

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2010, 06:03 pm »
A DAC with USB input is no longer required to enjoy use of USB.  I just saw this today:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0210/m2tech_hiface_usb.htm

Yes, we've been talking about it for awhile now.  Huge thread over on my HiRez Circle.  C'mon over.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72468.0