Any Ideas For Anarchy?

Cacophonix

Re: Any Ideas For Anarchy?
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jan 2010, 02:33 am »
Can this MT design work as slim floorstander? I mean ... they would take the same amount of floorspace anyway when compared to a minimonitor. I've been looking for a totem arro clone since eons.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:25 am »
Can this MT design work as slim floorstander? I mean ... they would take the same amount of floorspace anyway when compared to a minimonitor. I've been looking for a totem arro clone since eons.

If this MT comes to fruition it will annihilate a Totem arrow, and then Totem as a company will go into complete 'Anarchy'!  :lol:

Anand.

Cacophonix

« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:17 am »
If this MT comes to fruition it will annihilate a Totem arrow, and then Totem as a company will go into complete 'Anarchy'!  :lol:

Anand.

:) I have no doubt that the floorstander MT version would outperform the arro by quite a margin. Since Danny had mentioned that this woofer requires a long port, maybe the floorstander is not such a bad idea. Also, if needed, a passive can be added on the side as well. I think it might end up looking like the RAW acoustics' HT3.

I'll be keenly following this thread ..

mkb

« Reply #63 on: 30 Jan 2010, 08:10 am »
So has the MMTMM design been overthrown by the MT? Those cute lil' Mt's would make some nice surrounds to compliment a set of towers! Maybe Danny can design center channel next.......

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #64 on: 30 Jan 2010, 03:39 pm »
I guess my question is whether you think this MT would be better than the N2X or significantly cheaper.  Danny already has a fantastic MT kit.  This would go lower, so I guess that's an advantage.  I'm not one of the probable buyers, but I have to say I think a 90db sensitive MMTMM floorstander in a relatively small box is the cooler project, and more unique among Danny's offerings.

I realize the ability to buy a ready made cabinet is very appealing, as it would be to me as well, but I'd probably build the N2X if I were going that route as I've heard it, and it's absolutely the gold standard in it's size and price range.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2010, 04:48 pm »
You don't gain anything with a tower over the monitor (with an MT) because you don't need the extra volume.   It is true that you won't need a stand but by the time you built something that looked anything like the PE cabinets you would have more money in it than you do the monitors from PE and stands.   

The MMT-MM is up to Danny.    He is doing all the work.   If you want to use the PE cabinets though you can use them as building blocks.   Use the 1.0 cubic foot versions on the bottom for an MM woofer cabinet, use either the 0.5 cubic foot cabinet on top for the MT portion or stack another 1.0 cubic foot enclosure for the MMT/MTM.    Bolt the two together with spacers and you have a tower enclosure that nicely matches the optimal size for the woofer and is an appropriate tower size.    If you want to get really clever fire a 3" PSP up into the bottom of the enclosure mounted above.   Use the space between the cabinets as part of the port path-length and you shorten the length needed in the 1.0 cubic foot enclosure.   

avionic

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jan 2010, 10:54 pm »
I would like to see an mt curved design. Count me in as I already have the anarchy's ordered.

Lonely Raven

« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2010, 11:48 pm »
Greets all!

I followed a link from Home Theater Shack and figured I'd sign up.

I'm interested in building something with the four Anarchy speakers I have. I got two free for doing a build with Kevin's 21", and since they come in a box of 4, I simply ordered two more in hopes of building something fun with them.

I'm mostly interested in using these in either a two way, two channel system, or a nice center channel. I'm really leaning towards a simple two way two channel system though, as I'm thinking about building a dedicated two channel listening room with floor to ceiling sound diffusers and nice bass traps that will really allow the speakers to do something holographic.

Danny, I would be interested in something simple, and capable of holographic imaging. Those tweeters you showed look nice. I have a 100 watt "reference" amp that was used in a recording studio for many years, I just need some speakers to use it on!

persisting1

« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm »
I'm personally looking for a small monitor that'll go low without a subwoofer.  So the MT sounds good to me. 

I do like Kevin's idea of designing a 1.0 cubic foot MM cabinet for those who need more.  The PE cabinet should work well for this too.  The RAW B series comes to mind.  Danny might know something about this.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49718.0

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #69 on: 31 Jan 2010, 12:11 am »
I'm personally looking for a small monitor that'll go low without a subwoofer.  So the MT sounds good to me. 

I do like Kevin's idea of designing a 1.0 cubic foot MM cabinet for those who need more.  The PE cabinet should work well for this too.  The RAW B series comes to mind.  Danny might know something about this.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49718.0

It doesn't buy more extension but will buy more output.   The MTs are pretty damn impressive in terms of just the SPL capability in a monitor.    Most people will be picking their jaws up off the floor.     Expect a lot of people to ask "where is the sub?".   

cujobob

« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan 2010, 01:00 am »
What tweeter would you recommend for it, Kevin (in a two way)?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan 2010, 01:47 am »
What tweeter would you recommend for it, Kevin (in a two way)?

It depends on your priorities.   I like tweeters with some directivity control but other people prioritize different attributes.   

No matter what you choose the biggest issue is the crossover design.  There are any number of 1" dome tweeters that could be used with good results.   If you have a bad crossover design though no tweeter will sound right. 

fredk

« Reply #72 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:27 pm »
Would this be a novice rated kit?  I'm an avid DIYer, but have no electronics experience (as in never learned to solder... yet).  I would be interested in the mini monitor.

I've been itching to try my hand at a kit and this might just fit the bill.

FYI like Lonely Raven, I followed the link.

Lonely Raven

« Reply #73 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm »
Fred, if you can work basic power tools, soldering is even easier. If you do get a kit that's all figured out, PM me at HT Shack and I'll give you a few pointers on soldering.

The hard parts are crossover construction, and layout of said crossover. If you find a kit that had figured all that out for you, the rest is super easy.

fredk

« Reply #74 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:27 pm »
Thanks for the offer.  I'll take you up on that if this kit comes to be.  I figure I can pick up a cheap board and some throw away parts to practice on as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:50 pm »
Okay, it looks like the curved box it is.

Who wants to cut the front baffle and rear section of the box for the port?

I am ready to send out a flared port end and a tweeter for sizing cuts.

Lonely Raven

« Reply #76 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:16 pm »

What's the part number for those curved boxes (sorry, I don't shop PE much).

If I can swing them this paycheck, I'll order up a pair and do the cabinet work. Then I can send you the boxes with both tweeters and Anarchy installed. That's what you need to do your part if I understand the process correctly?

buzzardmountain

« Reply #77 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:18 pm »
I'll admit........I'm one of those looking for a MMTMM mains and center.......and a TM for surrounds.....

I'd like to use the Scan-Speak 6600 for the tweeter, but alas, I have no equipment, nor the experience to properly design something.  So I have to wait and hope...... :cry:

Lonely Raven

« Reply #78 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:33 pm »
Um yeah...aren't those tweeters over $200 each?

Not exactly fitting the average person's budget, and quite a bit different animal than the Anarchy.

Maybe you should be looking into the Zaph MTs that use that driver?

buzzardmountain

« Reply #79 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:46 pm »
Um yeah...aren't those tweeters over $200 each?

Not exactly fitting the average person's budget, and quite a bit different animal than the Anarchy.

Maybe you should be looking into the Zaph MTs that use that driver?

I am as a last resort......I'm planning the TMM.....

I've made contact with someone to design the center.......

But I do have a few of these anarchy's to make use of....... :lol: