What do I have here?

pdrstraw

What do I have here?
« on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:07 am »
Pictured below is the VMPS speakers I obtained from my late father.  They were his pride and joy, but I'm sorry to say I don't know much about them.  I believe he purchased them in the late 70s or early 80s after attending a speaker seminar in South Bend, IN.  He had traded a pair of VMPS "kit" speakers in for this bigger and better model.  I'm hoping someone could tell me the model (Tower II perhaps).  I've been powering them with a Soundscraftman amp and preamp, hooked to the bottom terminals.  They're in great shape cosmetically and sound good.  Any ideas as to value?

Thanks for any help!

flintstone

Re: What do I have here?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:35 am »
VMPS Supertower/R....I have a pair that are a little newer (1996). You can see mine by clicking on my gallery link.

Dave

Venkman

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:51 pm »
Yup, Supertower /R.  I have a set that is almost identical, (although it looks like yours have been treated much better than mine were) and it looks like you may have the upgraded tweeters. 

Sorry for the crappy pic.   I believe mine are circa 92?

You inherited some great speakers.   Sorry for the loss of your father. 

pdrstraw

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:08 pm »
Thanks!  I could very well be overestimating their age...perhaps it was in the early 90s that Dad bought these. 

Am I correct in hooking up speaker wires to the lower posts for single amp operation?  I read somewhere about using jumper wires to the top terminals. Is that necessary for full range operation?

Regards,
Paul

Venkman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2010, 08:09 pm »
For single amp operation you have it correct, no jumpers necessary.  Use the lower terminals with the toggle switch in the lower position.   If you ever wanted to Bi-amp them you'd use the upper terminals for the highs, lower for lows and move the toggle switch up. 

I'm only speaking for my speakers, yours may be different.  It should show you what you need to know on the instructions on the back.

Also,  You may want to check the foam on all the speakers.  Unfortunately, given their age it's probably about time for them to start failing.  They can be re-foamed or Brian offers replacements/upgrades for everything. 

My 12" woofers, along with the 15" passive woofers on the bottom were shot.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:26 am »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the VMPS Circle. 

WOW you have a piece of Audio Americana, VMPS and SoundCraftsman were about as Apple Pie as you could get back then and CLASSICS nowdays.

They DO look in great shape and I'm sure Pop would be happy that you are enjoying them, as he obviously did.

They look well cared for and as all have agreed they are the Super Tower/R (ribbon tweeter) model. 

They are good for everything from SuperTramp to Arthur Fieldler and the Boston Pops, and everything in between.

I wouldn't doubt that you also have a Turntable and some choice vinyl to feed them occasionally. :drool:

They like a low light room, with a nice soft couch or chair and they will purrrrrr all night long.

Enjoy.

mosawdust

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:44 pm »
I've read a few post from doing a search on here that talks about adding internal bracing. I also have a pair of these and was wondering if there is any particular reason or benefit for using 1-1/4" dowel rod as opposed to MDF strips.