Transedence 7 or Super PAS2

openback

Transedence 7 or Super PAS2
« on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:05 am »
I am newbie and hoping someone can tell me which is a better sounding preamp between the Transedence 7 and Super PAS2.  They are on epay and I want to bid on one - not sure which one to get.  I don't use phono by the way. 

Please add the Fet Valve EC preamp to the list of choice also.  Thanks.

mark funk

Re: Transedence 7 or Super PAS2
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:17 am »
I have never heard a Super PAS-II, but the Super PAS-II is the oldes of the three. Then there would be the Fet/Valve EC, I think it is from the 90s and the T-7 is the newest mid 2000s I think? So I would think the T-7 would sound the best. The Super PAS-2 is an all tube pre and the other two are hybrids.

:smoke:

boycephoto

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:39 pm »
I agree with Mark, I think the T7 would be the best amoung the group, but the Fet Valve EC would be right behind it.  Super PAS II would be inferior to both.  I have an Insight+EC and a Super PAS 3, the Insight definately does more things right.  Good Luck

Dave

openback

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I greatly appreciate that.  I will try to win the T7.  :thumb:

rcag_ils

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:47 pm »
What's the diff. between a Super Pas 2 and a Super Pas 3

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:55 am »

No AVA expert here knows the answer?

boycephoto

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:04 am »
This is not exactly what your are requesting, just my experience. 

I have a Super PAS 3 and an original Super PAS.  The Super PAS 3 is faster than the original and a more detailed.  The Super PAS kind of "slurs" the notes compaired to the 3 yet it is pleasant and musical to listen to.   The bass is more prominant in the Super PAS 3.  It has been a long time since I compaired them side by side.  My wife always liked the Super PAS because of it's warm seductive sound.  I prefer the Super PAS 3.  The Insight+ is in a different league altogether.  I own all three.

My 2 cents,
Dave

Tom Alverson

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:37 am »

I'm not sure if that face plate really indicates what circuitry is inside (it may have been a SuperPas2 and then was updated later).  Looking at the boards, it has the "new" power supply board with all the caps on it, so my guess is that if it does not have the "latest" Super Pas 3 circuits in it, it could be easily updated with a few capacitor replacements (documented in the old Audio Basics).  If someone here ends up buying this one, the latest Insight style buffer circuits could be added (I think Frank charges $300 for that) and he could make any necessary capacitor (value) changes at that time.

openback

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2010, 03:35 am »
I'm not sure if that face plate really indicates what circuitry is inside (it may have been a SuperPas2 and then was updated later).  Looking at the boards, it has the "new" power supply board with all the caps on it, so my guess is that if it does not have the "latest" Super Pas 3 circuits in it, it could be easily updated with a few capacitor replacements (documented in the old Audio Basics).  If someone here ends up buying this one, the latest Insight style buffer circuits could be added (I think Frank charges $300 for that) and he could make any necessary capacitor (value) changes at that time.
I just checked at AVA website - it can be upgraded to Transcendence Eight for about $800.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2010, 04:49 am »
I just checked at AVA website - it can be upgraded to Transcendence Eight for about $800.

If you can get the T7 for a low price, you would have a great preamp.  I don't think that you should spend 300-400 on the Super Pas 3 and then another 300 on the Insight buffer circuits or 800 on the T8 upgrades.  You would be better served, IMO, to buy the Insight SL on a'gon for 675, unless you prefer a tube preamp.  Otherwise, wait a little while, because the new AvaStar preamp has been announced, and some AVA customers will be trading in or selling their older preamps.

openback

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:36 am »
I will try to win the T7
That's what I will try to do oneinthepipe  :green:

rcag_ils

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:50 pm »
From what I've gathered.....

Super Pas = looks like a Dynaco Pas, with new parts on existing Dynaco circuit boards, and modified power supply with no board.

Super Pas 2 = built on a Dynaco chassis, with new power supply board, and 2 new circuit boards, same circuit as the Super Pas, just on redesigned new boards. Silver front panel or black panel. Optional buffer boards were available for line/phono.

Super Pas 3 = Identical to the Super Pas 2, but with new chassis and knobs, looks totally different, but sound identical to the Super Pas 2.

Super Pas 4 = Super Pas 3 + buffer circuit on the same board.

Therefore, a Super Pas 4 sounds exactly like a Super Pas 2 with the buffer circuits for line/phono.

rlee8394

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:07 pm »

No, it can't. That upgrade applies to the Super PAS3i and 4i units, not to the SP3 in the Dyna chassis.

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2010, 09:27 pm »
Variation capabilities; close but not exact.  The AVA chassis units (Super Pas Four and 4i) are in new AVA chassis with much higher quality parts and a much better power supply and further circuit improvements.

Frank

Listens2tubes

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:55 am »
So??