Ready to build some speakers -- advice please

mms3

Ready to build some speakers -- advice please
« on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:20 am »
I've sold my old speakers, and I'm ready to start building some new ones.  Now I'm just trying to decide what to do first.  This will be my first attempt at DIY.  I'm not experienced with woodworking, but I think I can get some help from friends/family.

I bought a used pair of x-omni's to use as "temporary" speakers while I work on everything else.  At first, my plan was to use N3's as surrounds, but now having heard the x-omni's, I may just use those if it would work out.  I'm really impressed with them....I won't use the cliche that I'm hearing things I've never heard before, but I am hearing things in a way that I've never heard before....very cool.  So, that leads to my first question.

Would it be ok to put the x-omni's at the back corners of my sofa?  In order to get them far enough away from the rear wall, that's what I'd have to do.  Will it be a problem to have them that close to me?  I read on the A/V-O page, that they can be turned with the tweeter away from the listener, so that might be an option.  Any thoughts?  If this will present problems, I'll just go with the N3's next to the rear wall with the transmission line turned to the front.

My other concern is if I should build one of the servo sub's or not.  The reason I'm hesitant on this, is that I ultimately want to have a pair of LS-6's (or LS-4's???) as mains.  With the LS-6's, it sounds like they play low enough that a sub isn't necessary.  What about LS-4's?  Will these ultimately be offered as a kit?  If so, how low will they play?  In either case, the line source option will take me some time (build time and financial time).  So, it might be nice to have a good sub until then.  At the same time it will take me that much longer to save up for and build the LS's....

Alright, I've written enough....what do you guys think?  Thanks in advance.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Ready to build some speakers -- advice please
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:25 am »
Build the servo sub.  You won't regret it.  aa

Oh and for a little more learning experience, consider upgrading your x-omnis with networks from www.skiingninja.com.

Take your time and keep reading and learning.  Those LS' are not for the novice.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:08 am »
It sounds like the av-1rs would work well in your situation and I can personally testify that they are a good first build. Also, if you like the x-omni you might want to consider doing the O3. emac has posted on the x-omni versus the O3. Three O3s up front, a pair of sealed or OB subs and the av-1rs would likely make a killer affordable setup that you wouldn't feel much of a need to upgrade for a long time.

emac

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:33 am »
I bought a used pair of x-omni's to use as "temporary" speakers while I work on everything else.  At first, my plan was to use N3's as surrounds, but now having heard the x-omni's, I may just use those if it would work out.  I'm really impressed with them....I won't use the cliche that I'm hearing things I've never heard before, but I am hearing things in a way that I've never heard before....very cool.  So, that leads to my first question.

Good way of describing it.  With Danny's omnidirectional designs, you do hear things in a way you've never heard them before.  I've heard speakers that provide a better sense of detail, but the soundstage of the X-Omni's and O-3's (especially) can be breathtaking in the right room

Personally, if you like the way the Omni's sound in your room, I'd recommend building the O-3's.  They are a significant upgrade over the Omni's but retain the lovely soundstage.  Also, they are not too difficult (especially in comparison to something like the LS's) and don't cost an arm and a leg.  Finally, this way, you can basically have an omnidirectional HT if you use the Omni's as surrounds (and they are reasonably flexible in that role). 

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:39 am »
Would it be ok to put the x-omni's at the back corners of my sofa?  In order to get them far enough away from the rear wall, that's what I'd have to do.  Will it be a problem to have them that close to me?  I read on the A/V-O page, that they can be turned with the tweeter away from the listener, so that might be an option.  Any thoughts?

It sounds like they would be pretty close to you, but you will have to keep them at least 3 feet from any wall. Turning the tweeter in another direction might help. You already have them, so you might as well try them and see (or hear) what you get.

N3's and a servo sub is a good start too, and that is a great combo.

You can move them to rears of you build LS-6's later, and the servo sub will still be great fun for movies. LS-4's are going to happen and I have a test box here ready to go. It will not play down as low as the LS-6. I can't tell you much more about it until I make it happen.

mms3

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:08 am »
Thanks for the replies, and good advice.

I get that the LS's are not a good first project.  That's more of a long term plan.

The common theme seems to be that a servo sub is a good way to go no matter what, and that's kind of what I was thinking...just needed some confirmation.  And since I'm new to this, the other benefit is that it looks like one of the easier projects to tackle (it looks so easy, a caveman could build it -- but, unfortunately it will be me :wink:).

So, I'll probably do the sub first, and then decide between the N3's/O3's.

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:35 am »
The V1s or Super Vs should be easier to build and would sound fantastic.  They already have subs  :thumb:

sl_1800

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:39 pm »
The V1s or Super Vs should be easier to build and would sound fantastic.  They already have subs

I'll second that.