Moving my library to my new MacBook

Will2

Moving my library to my new MacBook
« on: 11 Jan 2010, 12:24 am »
Hi,

I got a new MacBook and want to move all my iTunes stuff over from my Time Capsule (which is used as the iTunes folder for my iMac) to it.  I've been trying all day and it is driving me crazy - for some reason I'm getting duplicates of almost every song if I try to import the library from the Time Capsule into iTunes on the MacBook.  I suspect that there might be duplicate songs in the underlying files on the Time Capsule that aren't showing up on my iTunes on the iMac.  Why do I say that ..... iTunes on my iMac says I have 14,500 items and 192GB but when I use Finder to "Get Info" on the iTunes folder on my Time Capsule it says "408GB and 30,000 items".  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Will

Crimson

Re: Moving my library to my new MacBook
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:57 am »
You'll want to resolve the duplicate issue before importing/moving your library, and there's no easy way to do it. Use Finder to see where the dupe's are and report back.

Will2

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:59 am »
Thanks Crimson - I headed off with your advice to see what I could do and eventually figured out where the duplicates were hiding.  I restarted the process tonight and no duplicates ........ yippee.  Holding fingers that the process completes - it takes an age.  Any idea how to connect my MacBook directly to the Time Capsule so the transfer goes faster than a snail (right now the transfer is going over wireless)? 

Thanks again!!!!

Mike Nomad

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2010, 03:10 am »

Under iTune Preferences > Advanced, there is a box, "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." If that box is checked, and depending on how you where moving/rebuilding the library, you would write a double.

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2010, 11:49 am »
Just use an ethernet cable (CAT 5/6) and connect your Macbook directly to the Time Capsule.