The VMPS RM50 and Live vs Recorded SHOW REPORT

John Casler

« on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:00 pm »

Well the show is still going and I had to leave a day early, but here are a couple pics I was able to squeeze off.

Lighting was very low in the room, and my old camera is not up to the task, but these will give you an idea of the look of the speaker, and the driver arrangement.

Once again, B has hit a Home Run.  It amazes me how he can continually push the envelope of speaker performance.

And by that I mean his ability to employ his own design ideas and combination of speaker design elements to create cohesive high performance representation of what he has in his head.

And in speaking with Brian over the years, I get a sense of the clarity with which he assembles various elements to get the organically combined sound he wants.

Last year in the first "LIVE versus RECORDED" event, I could sense that he was pleased with the results, but I also gathered that he had "bigger" ideas for the next attempt.

Well the RM50 Dual Line Source Bipole is the results.  While it is NOT new to visualize the speaker as the antithesis of the recording microphone, B, took to task the way he felt the speaker should release sound into the listening environment to truly reverse the process.

The results were spectacular and surprising even to me.

So without further adieu, here are some (admittedly very bad quality) photos for informational purposes.  I am sure there will be some higher quality shots coming from those with better gear and photographic skills.

John Casler

RM50 front view
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:02 pm »

Here is a straight on front view of the speaker

John Casler

This is a view of the rear driver array
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:05 pm »

This is a view of the rear driver array

John Casler

A closer view of the frontal Dual Line/Array
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:08 pm »

Ryan45872

Re: A closer view of the frontal Dual Line/Array
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:01 pm »

Are those cabinets the old VMPS FF1 cabs?

ryan

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm »
Are those cabinets the old VMPS FF1 cabs?

ryan

Hi Ryan,

Brian did not mention the source of the cabinets, so when he returns he can address that.

John Casler

Re: The VMPS RM50 and Live vs Recorded SHOW REPORT
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:37 pm »
I might mention that also "in the works" is a NEW modded D-OXO, (Digital Outboard CrossOver) and a NEW AE-OXO (Analog Electronic Outboard CrossOver)

These are VERY exciting since we have been using "stock" UNITS from Behringer and the NEW models will be highly modded to the point that they can also be used as a "preamp".

These of course will NOT be exclusive to the RM50 DLSBP, but will "trickle down" to all VMPS models.

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2010, 07:10 am »
We just finished the break down of the room a few hours ago.  I can't believe that the time went so quickly.  I am sure Brian will post the day-to-day journal as he did last year, but for now let me say that things went very well and we were able to capture some great music from some truly world class acts.  Both recording systems did great.  I have a lot of music editing to do once I get back home.  I will post some photos in a few days.

Brax

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2010, 12:34 pm »
It looks like Brian used a Beston ribbon tweeter in the 50 rather than a FST, any reason for the switch?

I see too, that there is a move away from a phase plug in the woofers. any comment?

Ryan45872

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:27 pm »
Hi Ryan,

Brian did not mention the source of the cabinets, so when he returns he can address that.
Hi John,
It's no problem. I just like the oak look. And it reminded me of the ff1.
Thanks
Ryan

John Casler

A full VLA SUBWOOFER in every pair
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:29 am »
Most of you know what the VLA SubWoofer is (Very Large Array)

Well a pair of RM50 DLSBP's has a VLA in every pair.

What I mean is the VLA has 4 12" UltraMegaWoofers.

So does a pair of RM50's!!!!

Although we didn't do a lot of low bass listening, Brian did place an ORGAN cut in the tray early on and no less than 4 listeners came up and asked what the cut was from because the bass was so spectacular. :thumb:

Housteau

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:50 am »

Here are a few photos to get things started.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:22 am »
Yes, a day by day report will follow.  In 34 years I cannot remember a Show like this one, with so many positives, such good results.

We took an awful chance.  The RM50 was little more than a thought experiment two months ago.  We were confronted with  buzzing panels (a production problem), failure of our one and only Mike Galusha modified DCX digital controller (we ended up with a stock unit), reduction of our exhibit space by half due to hotel problems, a very loud neighbor, adding a bass drum (which pushed the limits of all equipment) plus two guitars and a new, powerful singer to our lineup of performers, and delicate, unproven microphones and recording equipment.

The singer standing (while playing and singing!) at the piano is Napua Davoy, who debuted iin the Thursday reception sponsored by TAS, Harry Pearson, and two manufacturers.  Suffice it to say she sounded much better in our booth, where she did a flawless hour and a half, nonstop.  It was a stellar evening, unforgettable.

Our room would have been an abject failure without the combined help of the following, in no particular order:

Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere
Jim Harger, recording engineer: 24/88.2/tube condenser mics
Dave Housteau, DSD recording engineer and setup consultant
Paul Monroe, V60 owner and tireless worker
Jim Romeyn, guitar broker and player
Austin Weyand, world-class finger-style guitarist
Lesley Olsher, soprano, a real trooper
George Karawanny, transport captain and setup meister
T.H.E. VMPS Show Band: Fred Haller (sax, clarinet, flute), Bill Bailey (bass), Angela Chan (virtuoso piano)
Cliffy (Spencer) of AC, setup worker and guest bass drummer
John Casler, host and guest percussionist
Shirley Cheney, my wife, hostess, and organizer
Napua Davoy, jazz pianist, singer, songwriter, complete entertainer
James Bongiorno, piano
T.H.E. Show staff, esp Richard Beers, CEO
Harry Pearson

More later.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010, 09:05 pm by Brian Cheney »

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:40 am »
Looks like it was a wonderful event, but the pictures of Mr.Bongiorno in a wheelchair are a bit unsettling.

Can you comment on his condition?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2010, 04:54 pm »
Our beloved Mr. Bongiorno has been suffering from advanced emphysema for some time and is now on the list for a lung transplant.

While he showed up in a wheelchair and on oxygen, it did not affect his dynamic piano playing, which we have captured in DSD.

Dave Housteau informs me the downloads to CD are stunning.

pjchappy

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  I wish him all the best.

Paul

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2010, 08:04 pm »
Brian, congratulations on such a spactacular event.  The new speakers look really nice and I'm sure they sound great.  It's cool to see the progress of your company. I hope to hear the speakers one of these days.

Can you please comment (PM is okay if this forum is not appropriate) on the sonic difference in the modded versus unmodded DCX?

Cheers,

J

drcruz

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:14 am »
I too would like to know the difference between the moded and unmoded Behringer. It is a Behringer right? (if not sorry :oops: )

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:58 am »
I feel blessed to have been a small part of the 2010 VMPS T.H.E. Show live vs. recorded event. 

It was a great pleasure to co-produce with Brian Cheney and George Karawanny the Austin Weyand solo guitar portion Saturday morning.  Myself and another participant mentioned to Austin how sweet was his piece titled "Crawling", named after his child seen crawling on the floor in time with an original musical phrase Austin was playing.  The song is on Austin's CD "Too Much Information" available here  http://austinweyand.showitsite.com/#/music---video/

I'm already excited about THE Show 2011.  We'll be much better prepared.  My guitarist will get his own copy of the charts for the jazz group songs.  We hope to have our own acoustic guitar amp, though such was not really necessary.  As long as the guitarist stands forward enough from the group, even the jazz arch top has enough volume sans amplifier.

My sincere thanks to Brian for pulling off this humoungous event.  I have no idea how he has done it for all these decades.  Shirley Cheney, Brian's beautiful wife was and is always the gracious host. 

I hope to be better rehearsed next year and play more songs on my flat top (picked up again after a 28 year hiatus).  It's great to remember the fun of playing in front of an audience.

Background music and about 100 hi-rez guitar images will be at my site, hopefully within a few days.  If all goes as planned an electric bass will be released late 2010 with two patents pending, making a new benchmark in state of art bass guitars.     

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2010, 05:08 am »
Looks like it was a wonderful event, but the pictures of Mr.Bongiorno in a wheelchair are a bit unsettling.

Can you comment on his condition?

Thursday night after closing, James Bongiorno was kind and generous to purchase dinner for myself and two other guests including Richard Bley (electrical engineer, ex-Dynaco principal with James) and VMPS THE Show producer George Karawanny.  I can state emphatically his enthusiasm for life is undaunted.  He can walk for short distances.  He quit smoking last year, a good thing as Martha Stewart says.