Disappearing Audiogon ads

orthobiz

Disappearing Audiogon ads
« on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:31 pm »
I've followed an occasional item on A'gon that suddenly disappears. Wouldn't it normally say "sold" or can you withdraw an item? Seems like you could sell it "on the side" and not pay fees or something.

I've never sold on Audiogon so I don't know that much about it.

Thanks,

Paul

sts9fan

Re: Disappearing Audiogon ads
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:57 pm »
This is because you can change your item to another once sold and not pay a fee.  Or you can withdraw it for no fee.  Marking sold charges you a fee.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:07 pm »
Sometimes I'll have items for sale tthere, here, and on Ebay.  SO if you label sold instead of canceling you get charged even if you didn't sell there. 

srb

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:07 pm »
When placing an ad on Audiogon, you have entered into a good faith contract to pay the fee when sold.  Using one of the the mentioned workarounds to avoid paying the fee is dishonest and only done by persons lacking morals or class.

Steve

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:12 pm »
When placing an ad on Audiogon, you have entered into a good faith contract to pay the fee when sold.  Using one of the the mentioned workarounds to avoid paying the fee is dishonest and only done by persons lacking morals or class.

Steve
or lacking the desire to get ripped off.  of course, if you awoid the fee, you cannot get positive feedback either.

ymmv,

doug s.

droht

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:24 pm »
If you sell it elsewhere can't you just add a note to the body of your ad "sold on ebay" or whatever?

AudiogoN is not ripping anyone off, afaik.  I think they are upfront on fees and how system works.  If you choose to use them and then circumvent the system you are the one ripping someone off.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm »
or lacking the desire to get ripped off.

If you have also listed on ebay or elsewhere and it sells there through no assistance from the Audiogon ad, then my statement about morals or class probably doesn't apply, as you have paid an initial listing fee and the item did not sell there.

But if you do sell it through Audiogon, and maneuver to avoid paying the fees, then you're just a jackass.  I communicated with a regular Audiogon seller who refused to use the Audiogon tracking system for the reason of avoiding paying Audiogon's deserved fees.

But there may be other valid reasons for pulling an ad, such as changing your mind to sell or no longer needing the money because your financial situation improved.  No one really knows what's going on for sure, it can't be monitored and people will do what they do.

Steve

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
At the beginning of the auction (12/20) I e-mailed a question that was never answered so maybe it's a case of a less than stellar seller...

Paul

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm »
I do not deal with Audiogon anymore and refuse to participate on their forum.
After my last experience,  request was send to close my account, system etc. They never did.
Shop here - better deals, better people.

Mariusz