Songtowers "First Words" - What Was / Is Yours?

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
Songtowers "First Words" - What Was / Is Yours?
« on: 9 Jan 2010, 09:52 pm »
Peter Gabriel - Passion Soundtrack
Collective Soul - Dosage
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood Remastered
Jerry Vale - Greatest Hits
Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory
Lisasmith - Unreleased Mixes
Def Leppard - The Vault
The Cars - Greatest

These were complete random picks.  I have many more to listen to!
Still setting up the room - pics to follow soon!

Awesome is the only word I have right now...

Sorry if there is a similar thread elsewhere -

evan1

Re: Songtowers "First Words" - What Was / Is Yours?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2010, 10:01 pm »
Mine was " My wife is going to kill me when she gets home" :lol:

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2010, 10:10 pm »
Haha!!  Apparently you survived!

Liquid Tension Experiment now playing....

Jeez.. do I really need a sub??

evan1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2010, 10:19 pm »
no to the sub

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm »
eez.. do I really need a sub??

If you have a bass managment system like what is in a HT Receiver, then a Sub would be a good idea.  First it would add the base that is missing in movies.  Second, if you set the SongTowers as "small" and take out the bass from the SongTowers then that would clean up the midrange even more.  If you just listen to music and want to run the SongTowers "full range" then you don't need a sub.

They do a very good job with the bass that is in 99% of the music by themselves.

Bob

mchuckp

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm »
I couldn't do much except smile and laugh in amazement.  I couldn't believe that from this day forward I get to actually live with the sound that I've only dreamed about.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:06 pm »
I was speechless, then I remember uttering from a HUGE smile "Dang!" this is really good.

aa

Alex

TJHUB

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:25 pm »
When I first heard a pair of SongTowers, my first thought was: "OMG, I have to own Salk speakers!"

I was right, I really did have to own Salk speakers!  :D

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2010, 03:30 am »
I had Salk HT1's for a few years and got some SongTowers in to compare.  I thought, Wow! What fantastic vocals!!!"  How could the vocals be so different than my HT1's and still be so great!.

Bob

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:58 am »

Liquid Tension Experiment now playing....

Great band - all the members of Dream Theater minus James Labrie.  I love Dream Theater.  :)

My first thoughts were "what are these" because I first heard them under blind conditions and didn't know they were present in the listening session.  I thought a $3000+ speaker was playing.   

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:58 am »
When I first heard a pair of SongTowers, my first thought was: "OMG, I have to own Salk speakers!"

I was right, I really did have to own Salk speakers!  :D

I can confirm this story.  :D

fishinbob

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2010, 02:23 pm »
Bought mine sight unheard so to speak...... not certain but I think there may have been a tear or two :thumb:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:40 pm »
Bought my ST RT sight unseen and sound unheard after Dave Ellis, whose 1801 speaker I was considering, told me to contact Jim.  I also spoke to Frank, and I was intent on buying a pair of HT3, but when I contacted Jim, he wisely advised me to consider the ST because my room is small.

When I set up the ST RT, I was amazed about how beautiful they looked, and then I was floored when I fired them up.  I thought "Holy &%*#!", or something more polite, and I jumped around the room like a little kid.  Then I grabbed my wife (so she could listen).   

I was so pleased with the ST that I eventually bought a pair of HT2-TL.   

Jon65

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2010, 10:26 pm »
I got my ST's in December.  I remember I didn't have any first words.  My jaw was literally dropped open for 15+ seconds.  I just sat on the couch, amazed.  When I recovered, my words to myself were "Holy Crap!"

Thanks Jim!

Jon

Kinger

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2010, 12:00 am »
I'll be listening to mine sound unheard when they arrive.  Gotta admit, I'm thinking the CD that Jim appears to include with the speakers will probably be the first thing I play through them.  I've been told to be prepared to soil myself.........

mchuckp

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:53 am »
I'll be listening to mine sound unheard when they arrive.  Gotta admit, I'm thinking the CD that Jim appears to include with the speakers will probably be the first thing I play through them.  I've been told to be prepared to soil myself.........

Jim's CD is a GREAT start and was my first listen.  I now own a number of things on that disc.  I recommend just putting a trash bag over your couch.

irishluck73

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:51 pm »
WOW!!! Holy frickin' crap these sound AMAZING!!!

So far I've only hooked up the 2 SongTowers and basically I'm just sitting here listening to different music in slack jawed amazement and completely dumbfounded! I can hardly describe how awesome these sound!!!

As of now I'm only at the plug & play stage where I need to recalibrate using Audyssey as the settings are still what they were for the JBLs and I'm still blown away! I honestly could not be happier  :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:24 am »

So far I've only hooked up the 2 SongTowers and basically I'm just sitting here listening to different music in slack jawed amazement and completely dumbfounded! I can hardly describe how awesome these sound!!!

As of now I'm only at the plug & play stage where I need to recalibrate using Audyssey as the settings are still what they were for the JBLs and I'm still blown away! I honestly could not be happier  :thumb:

Hey redo the bottom of your Sig. They are built already.

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:26 am »
irishluck73 -

I would be very careful with Audyssey.  I would listen without it for a few weeks.  On several occassions I recommended owners turn the Audyssey off and in every single case, they reported a remarkable improvement.  If you need to use Audyssey to control room modes to keep the bass in check, try and prevent it from correcting anything else.  The speakers themselves will likely derive no benefit from Audyssey.  It can only mess things up.

- Jim

irishluck73

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:42 am »
irishluck73 -

I would be very careful with Audyssey.  I would listen without it for a few weeks.  On several occassions I recommended owners turn the Audyssey off and in every single case, they reported a remarkable improvement.  If you need to use Audyssey to control room modes to keep the bass in check, try and prevent it from correcting anything else.  The speakers themselves will likely derive no benefit from Audyssey.  It can only mess things up.

- Jim
Thanks for the heads up Jim! I'll give that a shot and see what it sounds like. 500 different listening modes doesn't help either :)