warmest sounding receiver

DoodleBoy

« on: 20 Jan 2004, 04:47 pm »
Hi... wondering what is warmest sounding mid-price receiver (closest to tube sound if that is even possible) for somewhat bright sounding speakers with ribbon tweeters.

Denon
Harman
Onkyo
Rotel
Yamaha

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

randog

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2004, 04:52 pm »
I've been reading reviews on the B&K and they are supposed to be on the warmer side.

Randog

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:00 pm »
Last Yammies I heard would make me say to cross those off your list.  Among the brightest rec'rs I have heard.

B&K's amp section is on the warm side typically but their pre/pro's vary from model to model in my experience.

randog

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:24 pm »
Josh,

What is your impression of the pre of either the ref 30 or 50 (or receiver variants of those)? Are they audiophile-worthy?

Randog

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:31 pm »
Quote from: randog
Josh,

What is your impression of the pre of either the ref 30 or 50 (or receiver variants of those)? Are they audiophile-worthy?

Randog

I hope you don't mind if I give my impression of the REF 50.  I've had mine for almost a year now.

When I first got it it had a very high noise floor, unacceptably so.

This past summer I sent it in to get updated and they made it very quiet.
It does not compare to my Bent 2 channel pre for two channel listening, but for HT or concert DVD's, I am very happy with it.  With the recent price drop to MSRP $2000, and street of around $1500 (if you look hard), I think it is an HT bargain.

Do not plan on getting rid of your 2 channel rig ang going exclusively with the REF 50 though.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:34 pm »
Doodleboy, you might also want to add Pioneer Elite to your list.  They are on the warm side yet are still detailed.  I'm very happy with my older VSX27TX (it's in a third HT).  

Most receivers have tone controls to tame your ribbon tweet if needed as well.

randog

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:42 pm »
Marbles... thanks.

Have you tried your Norh CD-1 through the passive mode on your Ref 50?

Thanks,
Randog

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:51 pm »
Quote from: randog
Marbles... thanks.

Have you tried your Norh CD-1 through the passive mode on your Ref 50?

Thanks,
Randog

I sold the CD-1 about a year ago, in fact I shipped it in my REF 50 box  :o

Anyway, I have tried various transport/DAC's through the REF 50 in direct and indirect modes.

With my nOrh 9.0's it was fun to add the HT subwoofers, IMO, it still was not as nice as my Bent pre in 2 channel though.

While it would have been nice to simplify my system and get some money too, it just doesn't make sense to do it sonically speaking.  As always, YMMV.

audioaffliction

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2004, 03:51 am »
I find Harmans the warmest of the bunch--to the extent that it can actually sound a little unclear for HT purposes. For music, with neutral sounding speakers, the Harmans present a dark-ish, laid back sound. I'm speaking from experience with the x20 series, and haven't really heard the newer x30 series (QC issues with this series has me a little concerned).

That said, there is no HT receiver that I know of that sounds remotely tube-like. The Yamahas are definitely out, although I think they're great for HT-only applications (I have one). If I absolutely had to pick one HT receiver to do both music and HT, I'd probably go with one of the Pioneer Elites. I think they offer a nice balance of sound quality, features and reliability (plus a 2 year warranty which Yamaha also offers). The B&K stuff is nice, but at those price points, I'd just as soon separate out the HT and music systems. I'm ignoring the new Sony digital receivers, not because I don't think they sound good (although still not tube-like IMHO), but because Sony continues to leave out discrete remote codes for source selection--infuriating if you use a macro-capable remote.

W.C.

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2004, 05:57 am »
I think I remember reading that Marantz receivers were on the warm side.

eichlerera1

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2004, 08:25 pm »
I own a Marantz 8200. I wouldn't call it warm or tubelike but the midrange is quite smooth. The "Stereo" setting bypasses all the processing and is actually pretty clean and neutral. For the price you could obtain it on Ebay or Audiogon (around $850.00) it would be an excellent choice.
                                                                          Paul G

Bwanagreg

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2004, 02:38 pm »
It's not on your list, but listen to the new NAD stuff. The sound is truly approaching tube-like. I have a T772 (now the 773) and Omega speakers - very detailed yet warm sound, although I still drive my front 2 with a real tube amp. Music reproduction (CD's) using the onboard DAC is outstanding - I can't tell it apart from my RAM tube CD player.

I might add that I bought my T772 a few months ago to replace my deceased Outlaw 1050, with no intention of using it for music. It took me a few weeks before even I tried a CD through the receiver (I was using my RAM exclusively for this), because everyone knows receivers suck for music, right? (My Oullaw certainly did   :(  ). I have been so impressed by the NAD that my RAM is on vacation until until I find another system to use it in. The NAD really is extremely listenable.

Carlman

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2004, 03:29 pm »
Quote from: eichlerera1
I own a Marantz 8200. I wouldn't call it warm or tubelike but the midrange is quite smooth. The "Stereo" setting bypasses all the processing and is actually pretty clean and neutral. For the price you could obtain it on Ebay or Audiogon (around $850.00) it would be an excellent choice.
                                                                          Paul G

I'll second this piece for an all-around good receiver.  I installed one of these for my bro-in-law.  I love it.  The sound is very good.  I would agree with the midrange.  It's very smooth and accurate... not tinny bright or harsh like a lot of the cheap stuff out there.  It sounds great to me on music and movies.

Plus, you have plenty of digital ins/outs, an onscreen menu, completely programmable remote, etc.  Just great.  I will admit using the remote takes a little getting-used-to.... but, it's worth it to only have 1.

-Carl

Mathew_M

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2004, 04:03 pm »
Sherwood Newcastle have a warm tone.  I was also surprised how smooth cd playback was from their CDP.

byteme

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:00 pm »
I've got a Denon 3802 that I would call warmish.  However, no receiver I've ever had could do 2 channel for shit.  When I added a Sherwood Newcastle 5 channel amp it was like going from listening in black and white to listening in color.  Top to bottom it made a huge difference.  Now I just use the Denon as a pre/pro and to power my rear surrounds.  I would say if anything make sure whatever reciever you get has pre outs and plan on adding a 2 channel (or 5 channel) amp at some point in the future - you won't regret it, and they can be had on the cheap used!  The amps in the receivers just cannot do what an outboard amp can.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2004, 04:24 am »
I've always been quite fond of the Sherwood Newcastle receivers as well.  Even my old Pro Logic unit blew away the Denon 3300 that I had for about a week before returning it and getting a newer Newcastle unit.  I'm now running an even newer unit, my dad is using Newcastle receivers as well, and I've installed a few in some customers' systems.  

While they're not as widely known as many of the other brands out there, I'd put them up against just about anything I've heard in their respective price ranges.

lcrim

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2004, 05:41 pm »
This thread is probably dead by now but the warmest sounding receiver in my experience is the Arcam AVR200 that I had previous to the Sony 3000ES I have at present.  Not the most powerful or the most features but for a liquid sound quality it is very good.
I understand that Arcam is releasing a new model, the 300 I believe shortly.   Don't know anything about it.

drunkonjack

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2004, 03:25 pm »
The best I've heard was the Rotel 1065. This is one nice receiver ! I owned this peice and I kick myself in the butt everytime a conversation like this comes up. I'm waiting for the 1067 now that will be 7.1 with no extra amp needed.

zane9

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2004, 03:09 pm »
Quote from: lcrim
I understand that Arcam is releasing a new model, the 300 I believe shortly.   Don't know anything about it.

Arcam is releasing the 300 in March, at least here in Camada. Likely MSRP is CAN$3000. Info should be on their site:  www.arcam.co.uk

Arcam's receivers are highly music-friendly.

J.