tube replacement for Dyna Pre-Amp

OlesonMD

tube replacement for Dyna Pre-Amp
« on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:27 pm »
My Dynaco Pas 3 Series II has Sovtek tubes which gives the pre-amp a very sterile, almost solid state sound. In fact, in A/B tests with the same speakers it was difficult if not impossible to distinguish the Dyna from NAD solid state.
I have been told that NOS Telefunken's were the only way to go, but not wishing to spend $500 on tubes, I am looking for a better choice. It is my understanding that Tung-Sol's 12AX7 tubes were very popular and sound great, plus are current production and cost around $16 each.
Any feedback from you "Tube Junkies"?

martyo

Re: tube replacement for Dyna Pre-Amp
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:04 pm »
That wasn't my experience with an AVA Super PAS3i. I tried current production JJ's, EH's, Sovtec's, and Tung-Sol's. They all had their different characteristics but I much preferred some NOS RWN Neuhaus ECC83s. Over the years I have bought many NOS tubes from "the Tubemonger" and highly recommend them. (no affiliation)
NOS RFT or Tungsram are usually available for reasonable prices. I also really like Brimars but they are usually more costly.

I use 12AT7's in my hybrid amp and run Telefunkens, before we found them I was running Siemens, a close 2nd for me to the Telefunkens, which are hard to come buy and very costly, and even harder to find with AX7's.

Good luck.          8)

mark funk

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:06 pm »
I have a Dyna PAS-3X, I don't know what a series II is, but if you can't find or don't want to spend the money for Telefunken's ( I run Telefunken in all my stuff ) here is a nice tube,

http://www.tubemonger.com/RFT_NOS_NIB_ECC83_12AX7_E_Germany_Guitar_Tube_p/552a.htm

As for Tung-Sol, I have a pair from the early 60s and current production. IMO the new Tung-Sol made in Russia are a far cry from the old real US made Tung-Sol's. Have fun tube rolling.

:smoke:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:51 pm »
The Panor built PAS Series II is a completely different animal from the original Dyna Pas-2, 3, 3X series build by the original Dynaco company.  It is a different design and has nothing in common with the original units except the Dyna name. I have never hear much in the way of good things about the Panor units and doubt if they are worth putting much extra into.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine