Soundsmith rebuild/retip Dynavector Karat 17D3?

jameshuls

Soundsmith rebuild/retip Dynavector Karat 17D3?
« on: 8 Jan 2010, 06:47 pm »
Has anyone had a Dyanavector Karat 17D3 rebuilt/retipped by SS? I am about to send mine off for a Level II repair and was wondering if anyone had any experience with repair of this cartridge?

Mariusz

Re: Soundsmith rebuild/retip Dynavector Karat 17D3?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:02 pm »
I've 2 of those waiting for re-tip.
I just did not get to it yet.
Please keep us posted about the process and the results.
It seems that it takes months to get the re-tip from SS.
That is kind of a ..... Turn off.

Best
Mariusz

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:26 pm »
 :D is it re-tipping carts makes way too much sence and they just want all to buy new product.just wondering ?? is it too hard to do ?? gotta be a reason.in this overnight world we live in,why is this service so hard to find .. :scratch: :D

jameshuls

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:33 pm »
It seems that it takes months to get the re-tip from SS.
That is kind of a ..... Turn off

I guess better late than never fits this situation. Especially with the high level of quality Peter at SS is renowned for.

I miss my Dynavector evertime I spin an album! And I curse my housekeeper who broke it (and my Zu DL103), called me a liar, then quit. The B@#$%!

AllynW

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:35 am »
Slow, are kidding 8 months for my Technics MC 310 :roll:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:45 am »
I have a Karat 17D2 MkII missing it's tip that I have often wondered what Peter could do with this already amazing entry. :drool:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2010, 03:47 pm »
Slow, are kidding 8 months for my Technics MC 310 :roll:

8 months? Must be bad timing. They told me they're now catching up and the backlog is getting smaller.

The first cart I sent there last yr, took 3 months. That was a Monster Genesis 1000 w/boron cantilever. It got their best stylus and sounds good. The orig stylus was a micro ridge. I spoke to Peter on the phone, and he recommended using a test record for azimuth adj. I don't have a test record - I do this by ear. When the azimuth is slightly off it will usually sound fuzzy in 1 ch and the treble is unbalanced. It can be a little tricky, as it sometimes does the opposite of what you'd guess. Anyway, it turns out that the azimuth looked perfect.

I just got back a Denon DL-304. The wait was 2 months. The 304 now has a ruby cantilever and fine line. It looks gorgeous - I'll let you know.

AllynW

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2010, 05:40 pm »
8 months? Must be bad timing. They told me they're now catching up and the backlog is getting smaller.

The first cart I sent there last yr, took 3 months. That was a Monster Genesis 1000 w/boron cantilever. It got their best stylus and sounds good. The orig stylus was a micro ridge. I spoke to Peter on the phone, and he recommended using a test record for azimuth adj. I don't have a test record - I do this by ear. When the azimuth is slightly off it will usually sound fuzzy in 1 ch and the treble is unbalanced. It can be a little tricky, as it sometimes does the opposite of what you'd guess. Anyway, it turns out that the azimuth looked perfect.

I just got back a Denon DL-304. The wait was 2 months. The 304 now has a ruby cantilever and fine line. It looks gorgeous - I'll let you know.

After waiting 8 months, I emailed SS and requested my cartridge be returned.  The very next day I received a phone call.  The re-tipping is done. How will you be paying?

The cartridge sounds wonderful and other than the time thing, I am a happy camper.  The truly cool thing to come out of the experience is my AT-150MLX, which I bought shortly after sending my other cartridge to SS.  The AT is a perfect match with my equipment and has become my cartridge of choice.  Oh ya, I can replace the 150's stylus myself. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2010, 12:45 pm »
I just realized that this last cart took less than 2 months. More like 5 or 6 wks. I called them up to see if any progress was made, and to possibly upgrade to their best stylus. They told me it was done!!

Although I have a number of carts, I came close to buying a 150MLX a bunch of times. I have an old AT-15SS (beryllium/shibata), which is really nice. You can only listen to them 1 at a time, but you know what they say - you can't have too many cartridges.

jameshuls

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:16 pm »
Well, I asked for a quote about a month ago now, but have yet to hear back from them. I can't send it off until they give me a work order, so maybe I will try phoning.

AudioSoul

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2010, 05:28 pm »

Yes, phoning seems to be the best way to contact Soundsmith. I have tried emails but never got an answer. They are a good company thou. Since word has gotten out about the quality of work they do, I'll bet they have been inendated with orders. They do manufactuter carts. and phono preamps to. The owner does the retips himself so he is a busy man. I dont think this is something you can easily teach someone. You have to have the patience of a saint. Not to many of those around anymore..... 8)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:02 pm »
I guess better late than never fits this situation. Especially with the high level of quality Peter at SS is renowned for.

I miss my Dynavector evertime I spin an album! And I curse my housekeeper who broke it (and my Zu DL103), called me a liar, then quit. The B@#$%!

Yes, you definitely have to call. Cartridges with exotic cantilevers have the stylus only, replaced. It costs more - $450. I understand Peter does that, and the best stylus work himself. Apparently he has trained someone to help with the less expensive work. My DL-304 only got level 2 (fine line) stylus and seems to be DOA. It was given to me by someone who broke off the cantilever. I called, and Peter apologized and said it will be fixed as soon as they get it back. It might be a bit of a hassle, but it's good to deal with someone who's honest and stands behind their work.

BTW, they do extensive work on the 103 - nuding, wood bodies, top plates potting, etc.

jameshuls

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:50 pm »
Actually, I phoned last week and made the necessary arrangements. I guess in this age of the internet the "old fashioned" phone gets forgotten sometimes.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2010, 11:36 pm »
Yes, you definitely have to call. Cartridges with exotic cantilevers have the stylus only, replaced. It costs more - $450. I understand Peter does that, and the best stylus work himself. Apparently he has trained someone to help with the less expensive work. My DL-304 only got level 2 (fine line) stylus and seems to be DOA. It was given to me by someone who broke off the cantilever. I called, and Peter apologized and said it will be fixed as soon as they get it back. It might be a bit of a hassle, but it's good to deal with someone who's honest and stands behind their work.

Oops, it seems that the cartridge does work.  :oops: I hooked it up in an arm I haven't used in awhile, and there must be a problem with the wiring. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Alan1572

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2015, 01:39 pm »
I know it's a very old thread but a Google search led me here, has anyone had a 17d3 re tipped and what was the cost/result?

vortrex

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2015, 01:55 pm »
If you just want a standard retip or cantilever replacement I would suggest thinking about Andy at the Needle Clinic.  I have not used him, but many others have with great results and the prices are good.  He's recently quoted me 2-3 weeks turnaround time, compared to the many months of SS.  He also answers email timely, unlike SS.

http://www.phonocartridgerepair.com/

Gzerro

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2015, 04:26 pm »
I recently had my cartridge retipped by Soundsmith and the turnaround time was only about 6 weeks. I had sent one back last summer and it was even faster.

It seems they have a better handle on the turnaround times now.

It sounds better than new.

Alan1572

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm »
So I can't get the 17d3 rebuilt so what is the cost of a re tip?

Gzerro

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2015, 05:25 pm »
They have different levels of retip services at Soundsmith from $150 to $350 depending on materials.

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

I haven't used Andy at Needle Clinic, but have only read good things about his service as well.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2015, 07:47 pm »
So I can't get the 17d3 rebuilt so what is the cost of a re tip?

Assuming you still have a cantilever it's $450 at SS.  That's the cost of re-tipping a micro on an existing cantilever.  If the cantilever needs replacing it's either $250 or $350 for a ruby/LC or micro.  Call them for advise.  Depending on your situation you might want to call The Needle Clinic.  Your cart has a diamond cantilever and it's usually advisable to retain it, if possible. 
If the cantilever is shot, you should use SS for a ruby replacement.   Other similar Dynavectors have ruby and you should retain more of the original type sound.
neo