2B LP Pro Amplifier

colhogan

2B LP Pro Amplifier
« on: 7 Jan 2010, 02:26 am »
I just picked up a 2B Pro amp from ebay for $440.00 shipped!
 A more than fair price considering what Bryston is selling for these days. Even the used ones command a pretty penny.
 It still has about 8 years on the warranty,and looks in great shape!
 I can hardly wait until it gets here. It'll be a good combo with my BP6 preamp.  aa

Mad Mr H

Re: 2B LP Pro Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:26 am »
Good catch  :D

open it, clean dirt out, close it, use it. job done  :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2010, 04:11 pm »
Awsome amps. I got a couple of them for my center and surround channel's. Highly recommended.

b5pt9

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:36 pm »
I love my 2B, has a very open sound.  Don't be scared to take the top off, take front screws out and slide the channel cards out to clean it up.  There's also a set screw on the collar connecting the volume knob shaft to the pot that can come loose.  Good luck!   

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2010, 09:04 pm »
open it, clean dirt out, close it, use it. job done  :thumb:

Amen brother! 

colhogan

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm »
I got the 2B amp this afternoon. It sounds really great!
The only issue seems to be that the Gain Pot on the Left Channel is stuck. Thankfully,it is stuck all the way to the right,so maximum gain is not a problem.
I contacted the guy who sold it to me on ebay.  He has yet to reply,as of this post.
I plan to eventually send it in for service,so I requested that he at least refund enough to cover the charge for the shipping container when Bryston Service sends it  back to me after the repair is done.
I paid with Paypal,so if he does not get back to me in a few days,I'll just file a complaint for a partial refund through them.
His ad stated that the unit worked 100%,and while it functions fine, it is clearly NOT 100%. I just don't like the feeling of being taken advantage of..
We'll play it by ear,& see what happens... :|

b5pt9

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2010, 09:29 pm »
I would just pop the top off and see what's wrong with the volume control.  Probably the rod is seized at the front plate or the center bushing; I doubt the pot itself is the issue.  Might be a 5 min fix, good luck!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2010, 09:48 pm »
I love my 2B, has a very open sound. Don't be scared to take the top off, take front screws out and slide the channel cards out to clean it up.  There's also a set screw on the collar connecting the volume knob shaft to the pot that can come loose.  Good luck!
HI  boys,
Sorry the out of topic.    As I live in Brazil I do not know the Bryston warranties procedures.
IF I remove the top cover on a new Bryston amp to see the parts and photos, this will invalidating the 20 years warranty??
Thanks,  Gustavo

b5pt9

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:47 pm »
HI  boys,
Sorry the out of topic.    As I live in Brazil I do not know the Bryston warranties procedures.
IF I remove the top cover on a new Bryston amp to see the parts and photos, this will invalidating the 20 years warranty??
Thanks,  Gustavo

Well it's a good point and I probably shouldn't recommend people go poking around inside.  A lot of companies would be hesitant to provide warranty coverage if they suspected the customer was tampering, and I wouldn't blame them.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:53 pm »
Well it's a good point and I probably shouldn't recommend people go poking around inside.  A lot of companies would be hesitant to provide warranty coverage if they suspected the customer was tampering, and I wouldn't blame them.

Was there not too long ago a video posted here about someone messing around inside a Bryston amplifier and he ended up smoking it? Curiosity in this instance, could get very expensive...

Never release the magic smoke :nono:

Be well... 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:45 am »
HI  boys,
Thanks,  Gustavo
Hello Mr.Tanner,
Please, inform us about this doubt above;  maybe Iam asking the obvious,
but I have see so many photos of Brystons amps with open covers on many Sites etc.
Thanks  in advance,  Gustavo

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:36 pm »
Hi Fullrangeman,

Removing the top cover will not invalidate the warranty but we can not endorse it due to safty regulations.

james

colhogan

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm »
James:
 This may sound like a silly question,but if I bridge a pair 2B LP's, will they operate in the same way as any pair of amplifiers that are configured the same way?
 I ask because I seem to remember many years ago,speaking with  John D Russell,(Who was very pleasant),and told me that it could not be done for some technical reasons..
Thanks in advance!
 :eyebrows:
Regards,
Patrick
East Providence,RI

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:41 pm »
Hi Patrick,

If you bridge an amplifier it 'sees' 1/2 the impedance it does in stereo. So a 2B LP bridged will see 2 ohms in a 4 ohm speaker and 4 ohms in an 8 ohm speaker. 

This means the amplifier has to deliver much more current than it is designed to do.

james

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:41 pm »
Hello Mr.Tanner,
Thankyou for your previous informs on my doubts on Brystons amp.
I beg you clear more some questions:
1 - The 2B-SST2 and 3B-SST2 work in class A output in the early/initial Watts?
2 - I wonder If there is a consensus or opinion formed among audiophiles about which amp has the best sound? the 2B-SST2 or the 3BSST2 with speakers sensitive 95-100dB/Watt/M?
Many Thanks,   Gustavo

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:44 pm »
Hello Mr.Tanner,
Thankyou for your previous informs on my doubts on Brystons amp.
I beg you clear more some questions:
1 - The 2B-SST2 and 3B-SST2 work in class A output in the early/initial Watts?
2 - I wonder If there is a consensus or opinion formed among audiophiles about which amp has the best sound? the 2B-SST2 or the 3BSST2 with speakers sensitive 95-100dB/Watt/M?
Many Thanks,   Gustavo

Hi,

Yes the first few watts are Class A and I would say the simpler the circuit the greater (less is more) potential it has to sound better - at least that's what I use to think - the 28B proved me wrong!

james

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2010, 05:11 pm »
Hi,
Yes the first few watts are Class A and I would say the simpler the circuit the greater (less is more) potential it has to sound better - at least that's what I use to think - the 28B proved me wrong!
james
I see, or better saying I do not can figure out this.
I was think to match many transistor devices was impossible!! Could you say how the Bryston output stage use pairs so many transistors as in the 28B??

ian.ameline

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:42 pm »
What follows is my understanding -- being a bit of an electronics hack;

In brystons quad-complimentary output circuitry, there are 2 pairs of transistors that must be matched. When you have to match a pair of transistors, matching is very critical, but not so hard -- you have only to find two that match. The 3B is setup like this. The 4B and 7B have two transistors in parallel where the 3B would have 1. (7B can be thought of as a bridged 4B for the purposes of this conversation)

In the 28B, there are 4 in parallel in each section of the output circuitry. The *average* of those 4, have to match the average of another 4. The more you have in the average, the more it tends to the norm, making the matching of individual devices less critical. The 28B is a bidged or balanced design, so there are two pairs of 4 (making 16) on each side of the bridge, making a total of 32 output transistors.
When you look at the schematics for the 28B, you can see that it is quite elegant and simple.