Ever not be able to decide on what to watch?...

bubba966

« on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:51 am »
Do any of you ever feel like watching a movie, yet don't know which one. Then you go over your collection, which makes the decision even harder because there's too many choices?

That's a frequent occurance for me. And it's exactly what's going on right now. :(

I wanna throw a disc in the player, but don't know which. The player is sitting there, staring at me with the tray open, just waiting for something.

Too many things I could watch. But nothing is jumping out at me.

So is this only a problem of having too many discs to choose from (which'd probably mean that Babcock would be the only other AC'er with the same problem :lol: )?

Or does the same thing happen as well when you've got a smaller collection?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2004, 06:00 am »
As stupid as it may sound, I often forgo watching a movie some nites for just the same reason:  paralysis by analysis.  I have somewhere around 400 DVDs, counting whole seasons of TV series as one disc.  The stupidest part of the whole deal is that if you watched the "wrong thing", what would the harm be?  Just watch something else later! :lol:

Sometimes I'll tell myself I'll just get online and mess around on the 'net while I'm deciding what to watch- then by 4:00 am it's time for bed, and I haven't watched anything. :?

I've been a bit off the DVDs, lately.  It's been more PC stuff (I just bought a CD printer! :hyper: ).  But I always come back to the movies eventually.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2004, 06:09 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
paralysis by analysis

That's exactly the problem.

And when I usually have it happen, I'll putz around here reading damn near everything on the site. :lol:

And if I get bored of that, sometimes I'll actually do a little channel surfing. Though that's a rarity...

Between the DVD's & LD's, I've got somewhere around 900-1,000 discs I can watch. Sure, I could just throw anything in and watch it. It's not like any of them are rentals, they'll be there tomorrow, next week, next month, etc.

But I find that if I just go throw something in that I'm not really in the mood for, I won't watch but part of it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2004, 06:23 am »
Watch Solaris.  Saw it for the first time tonight. really liked it.

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2004, 07:07 am »
Wasn't thrilled with Solaris in the theater. Was kind of a craptastic theater, so that certainly didn't help.

I think I'd have to really want to watch it again, not just watch it in a casual manner.

I actually ended up throwing Antitrust in... :lol:

Johng316

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2004, 04:38 pm »
I had the same problem last night.  Nothing new to watch.... so I popped in My Cousin Vinny and laughed.  The expressions and voice inflection from Mona Lisa Vito (Marissa Tomei) are incredible!  I find myself trying to bob my head the way she does, just to see if I can do it.

Very, very funny movie.  It helps that I'm in Alabama these days also.   :D

Make yourself a list of your most rewatchable films, and then go to that short list when you can't decide what you're in the mood for.  The short list helps in the face of overwhelming choices.  My short list includes:

Office Space
My Cousin Vinny
5th Element
Matrix
Spiderman
The One
Terminator 3
The Scorpion King (yes, I must admit I like this popcorn flick)
Most of the Star Trek films
Dumb and Dumber
I don't own Super Troopers yet, but this has made my list
and a bunch of others...

My list is mostly comedies, I guess, with a few popcorn flicks thrown in.

John G