5R4 Rectifier

GRD

5R4 Rectifier
« on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:20 am »
Vanity question.  

I've been rummaging through a lot of old used 12AX7, 12AU7, 5814 tubes at the local electronics surplus tore and came up with a number of tubes to try out in the Cornet.  Cheaper than NOS and I picked up some winners (GE 5 Star 5814A, Baldwin AX and AU black plates - unknown mfr - but an upgrade from the RCA Clear Tops).  I also ran across a few classic looking rectifiers with the same pin-out as the 5Y3GT.  The Cornet manual says that 5AR4 and other recitifers with the same pin-out can be used.  However, I see that some of the specs are different.  Can the 5R4G be substituted for the 5Y3GT, and would it be a mistake sonically if it could.  It's a matter of looks only, so I wouldn't want to compromise the Cornet or the performance.

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
5R4 Rectifier
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2004, 05:30 am »
Just about any of these common 8-pin rectifiers will work.  Most important spec is a 2 amp heater (or less).  They will all have an impact on sound.

Hard to say which combo of tubes will work for you.  A great set of X7 and U7 may turn dull with a change of rectifier.  

Cornet was made to roll.

jh :)