would this be a good speaker combo for RM-10 mkII?

pehare

does anybody have any experience w/Coincident Eclipse speakers, more specifically the Coincident Partial Eclipse II, specs are:  92dB, impedance = 7.9 ohms min. to 10 ohms max. (3-way full range floorstander, 8" side firing woofer, 5" mid & 1" soft dome tweet)

I know I need to buy a spl meter from radio shack to get some solid figures (& I will soon) but we do crank it up loud occasionally in a medium size room w/vaulted ceils.  I'm using a cary sli-80 w/kt-88's in triode mode (40watts) & it is plenty of power.

another question on the RM-10......is it possible to run headphones off the amp or via the pot-in-a-box setup? (which is what I'd be interested in)
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm by pehare »

pehare

Re: would this be a good speaker combo for RM-10 mkII?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:44 pm »
okay, I took the radio shack analogue spl meter readings.......at normal listening distance (8FT) from speakers in the sitting in the sweet spot- spl readings were from 80dB to 95 when cranking it, to an occasional 100dB.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:06 pm »
Are you using the spl meter to determine if the wattage of the RM-10 is enough?

pehare

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:35 am »
yes, but 'yes, it will be loud enough' isn't going to answer my real question.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2010, 07:16 pm »
I have been considering a Universal Headphone Adapter in a Box selling for $150. It will allow connection of any power amp to headphones but the user will have to deal with silencing the speakers by dropping one speaker or other means.

Other solutions to silencing the speakers are:

1. Running the speakers cables to and from the headphone adapter box using high quality banana connectors and a high current switch to disconnect the speakers.

2. Speaker cut-off boxes that can be located near the speakers or amp (those with garden hose speaker cables would need a very heavy box and a lot of convincing).

3. High quality 25 amp relays which could be put anywhere to disconnect the speakers.

My thoughts are:

#1 is fine for people with flexible cables and reasonable power amps.

#2 is fine for everyone but less convenient

#3 is ideal as the relays can be put anywhere and energized by a switch on the headphone box.

The ideal solution however is to have a separate headphone amp which is why I am offering one very soon. This headphone amp will also double as a preamp which makes it even more attractive. I think this is the way of the future for headphone users who have speakers also.

6BQ5

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm »
I wonder whether there would be much of a market for a device as you describe Roger, especially given the inconvenience of having to disconnect speakers to use a set of cans.

Many amp manufacturers are now starting to re-introduce headphone jacks into their preamps, integrated amps and even power amps again. And as you know, a huge number of vendors have popped up in the past 10 years selling dedicated headphone amplifiers. Less of an under-served market than before.

My thinking is that someone who is serious about listening to headphones, will more likely choose another, more convenient option amongst the plethora available rather than this type of kludge (e.g. a limited audience).

I would suggest instead focusing on introducing a preamplifier with a headphone jack, phono stage (so many people have come back to vinyl now), and really turn peoples heads on end by including bass and treble controls - in one package. Deja vu all over again ...

If you design a dedicated headphone amp, it will be one of more than perhaps hundreds out there now (take a look at the head-fi.org site - the DNA Sonnett is the dedicated tube headphone amp "du jour". The drawback is creating another me too product where there are so many now.

Looking holistically at Music Reference, I really think you need a good preamp to mate with the RM-10 and RM-200 products. You know how to design a great preamp (RM-5) Roger, why not instead introduce (or re-introduce) a preamp with an outstanding headphone jack.

However, the ultimate for me would be a Music Reference integrated amplifier along the lines of the new Luxman SQ-N100 and Leben CS-100x. Harks back to the good ol' days of the '70s before hi-fi went nuts.

Headphone jack, bass and treble controls, 6BQ5 output tubes, a phono stage, all in one neat package. You already have a great starting point with the RM10 and RM5 to integrate. As the boomer generation retires, I seem many of them going back to simpler stuff (the beauty of an all-in-one) vs. the hassles and the space consumption of separate components. I myself have been pondering a move to perhaps this cute little Luxman all-in-one ... it uses my all-time favorite output tube, includes a headphone jack, bass and treble controls, and will create a lot more shelf space in my downsized home. Recent review by Six Moons says the Luxman has an outstanding headphone jack too. More dedicated components and more cables? Blech ... aim for simplicity.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2010, 09:06 pm »
I can't answer your question directly, as I've never heard those speakers.  Mine are close to those in sens. (91.5 db).  I have a Quicksilver GLA (40 watts/channel) that I drive them to ear splitting levels with no running out of steam at all (moderate room, tall ceilings, opens to two other rooms on one side).  Strong bass, good authority, no clipping.  So I see no reason why an RM-10 can't run those speakers to very loud levels with authority.