Backup software that doesn't compress

ctviggen

Backup software that doesn't compress
« on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:02 pm »
Is there any backup software that doesn't perform compression but that will compare two folders and update one of the folders with files that have been modified in the other folder?

I want to take copies of my music to work on a portable drive, and copying the entire folder can be very tedious.

Thanks.

Crimson

Re: Backup software that doesn't compress
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:48 pm »
I use Synchredible (the free version) on my PCs. Does just what you want and more.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:59 pm »
I use SecondCopy for PC.  It automates backup into all sorts of media and have lots of features including spanning between multiple drives, exact copy, incremental, and uncompress backup etc that you can go back and browse folders when the backup is complete.  It is @$40 but worth every penny.

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:16 pm »
I have been using Syncback from http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html for years.  It will synchronize or backup, your choice.  There are pay versions as well as the freeware that I like.  It is easy to set up and very reliable.
The freeware download is near the bottom of the page.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:32 pm »
Thanks for all the help.  I've been using Norton Ghost, but this compresses everything (and you have to have Ghost to decompress).  I'll check these out.

JEaton

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2010, 12:59 am »
I use Robocopy, which is a command-line tool, to back up my music library to an external drive.  Synctoy is an application with a Windows GUI that does pretty much the same thing.  Both are free.  Robocopy is included with Windows Vista and 7, otherwise it is downloaded and installed as part of a Windows Resource Kit Tools.  You can install the Resource Kit Tools and delete everything but Robocopy and its documentation if you like.

> About Robocopy

> Install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools for either XP or Server 2003

> About Synctoy

> Synctoy Download