HDMI

Charles Calkins

Re: HDMI
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2010, 09:57 pm »

* enjoy the movie soundtracks at their highest resolution (usually the first pick of any movie audio menu)

Do I have to adjust something to get the highest resolution?

Cheers
                                   Charlie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2010, 10:25 pm »
Do I have to adjust something to get the highest resolution?

Cheers
                                   Charlie

By highest resolution I meant audio (pick TrueHD, DTS HD MA or PCM lossless from movie's audio setup menu that pops up).  I assume this thread was not about your video with HDMi at all.  Just set that for "auto" and it will output whatever your video display can handle.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2010, 11:37 pm »
By highest resolution I meant audio (pick TrueHD, DTS HD MA or PCM lossless from movie's audio setup menu that pops up).  I assume this thread was not about your video with HDMi at all.  Just set that for "auto" and it will output whatever your video display can handle.

I'm thinking you mean the blu-ray player setting. I popped the Aviator blu-ray and DVD into the panny and nothing about audio came up in the menu.

Cheers
                   Charlie

YO!!!
  Isn't this fun!!!  Sure is for a DumDum like me.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:38 am »
I'm thinking you mean the blu-ray player setting. I popped the Aviator blu-ray and DVD into the panny and nothing about audio came up in the menu.

Cheers
                   Charlie

YO!!!
  Isn't this fun!!!  Sure is for a DumDum like me.

Argh.  You are new to this aren't you.  :)  I mean the "languages" or "audio" menus that come up every time you insert a BluRay or DVD.  That's why I was specific and called it "the movie's audio setup menu". 

We've already discussed that the Aviator has no hi-rez audio, so languages likely gives you just a choice for Dolby Digital, and then in a couple languages.  Anyway....most other BD discs will, indeed, have a choice.  They will likely look like:
English TrueHD 5.1 24/96
English Dolby Digital 5.1
French Dolby Digital 5.1....yadayada.  Usually the one on top is the highest resolution audio, the best.  Look for the ones called TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio (called DTS HD MA) or Lossless PCM.  That is all I meant!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:16 am »
Jesus H. Christ!!!  This is so confusing!!!  Whatever happened to good old days of plug and play???????????
Slowly and I mean Slowly I'm kind of getting the picture.

Cheers
                                     Charlie

I also refer to myself as a DUMDUM!!! :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2010, 03:31 pm »
ted-b:

I tried to do what you are telling me on the blu-ray Aviator disc. Just like you circled in the picture. But nothing comes up about audio settings. Only language and subtitles to choose. I'm getting a new blu-ray from netflix today. Maybe it will have something about audio set up in it.

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2010, 04:52 pm »
ted-b:

I tried to do what you are telling me on the blu-ray Aviator disc. Just like you circled in the picture. But nothing comes up about audio settings. Only language and subtitles to choose. I'm getting a new blu-ray from netflix today. Maybe it will have something about audio set up in it.

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

Charles,

Your "audio" settings will be under the languages section.

For example, on Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live From Radio City Blu-ray, I can select from three different choices:

PCM Stereo Sound (48kHz/24bit)
Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound (96kHz/24bit)
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (640 kbps)

Most Blu-ray releases will have options similar to this that you can select from.

Hope this helps.

George

Charles Calkins

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:10 pm »
Yes it does. But I guess that older movies put on blu-ray don't have the audio options. The Aviator doesn't. The newest Harry potter does.

Cheers
                                  Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jan 2010, 09:37 pm »
Popped in the blu-ray movie I got from netflix today. The panny remote has an audio button on it. I pushed it and the window on the screen says Dolby trueHD. I guess I'm heading in the right direction now. HDMI cables didn't come today. Maybe tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if there is such a thing as blu-ray music discs.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #29 on: 8 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm »
Yep, a few mostly classical but getting better.  Check out 2L recordings and a lot of them come with the SACD and the Blu-ray.  Some reason I can't give you the link, but they're on amazon.