The playoffs: lots of rematches

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
The playoffs: lots of rematches
« on: 4 Jan 2010, 05:19 am »
Weird playoff anomalies today.  Their are six teams that played each other today and will play each other AGAIN next week (3 of 4 games will be back to back rematches).  Cincinnati plays the Jets again; Dallas plays Philadelphia again; Green Bay plays Arizona again!   :o  Wild.......(card)!

The playoffs will be fun.  Some random thoughts:
*  Denver must be considered one of the biggest flops in recent memory
*  Due to the newfound tradition of resting entire first strings once berths are cinched (something so widespread and obvious that the NFL is looking into it), teams like Indianapolis and New Orleans must wake up in the next two weeks and get the sleep out their proverbial eyes.  Personally I disagree with their laissez-faire attitudes, especially Indy, and believe it may backfire.
*  Dallas has to be considered the new hot team...what a difference from other December/Januaries for them.
*  Pittsburgh just couldn't get past their midseason fold (as a Browns fan I don't feel for them, some how  :)  )
*  Cincinnati, New England and Minnesota fans come into the playoffs wondering which of their Jekyl/Hyde teams will show up.

I still like the Saints and Indy...but this post season could be a battle of wildcards in the Super Bowl too.  Game on!   :thumb:

maxwalrath

Re: The playoffs: lots of rematches
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2010, 05:28 am »

The playoffs will be fun.  Some random thoughts:
*  Due to the newfound tradition of resting entire first strings once berths are cinched (something so widespread and obvious that the NFL is looking into it), teams like Indianapolis and New Orleans must wake up in the next two weeks and get the sleep out their proverbial eyes.  Personally I disagree with their laissez-faire attitudes, especially Indy, and believe it may backfire.

The Jets really earned that playoff spot since week 2...with wins against Tennessee when they sucked, Oakland, Carolina, Buffalo, Tampa, and 2 teams in a row sitting starters.  Houston, who beat Miami and New England the last two weeks (or Pittsburgh, who beat Baltimore and Miami (which I only add because I'm not sure how the playoff picture would look if Indy played a full game vs. the Jets) should be mad as hell.   

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: The playoffs: lots of rematches
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2010, 05:39 am »
Both the Saints and the Colts get a week bye to think about the losing streaks they both had to finish their nearly undefeated seasons. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see both teams continue these losing streaks to finish the playoffs 1-and-done in 2 weeks.  :o  Momentum goes a long way in the playoffs.

The 3 rematches will indeed be interesting as it's very hard to beat the same team twice in 2 weeks. Each winning team totally blew out their opponent so payback will be a major motivator in the rematch for Arizona, Philly, and Cinncinati. It's gonna be a very interesting wildcard playoff next weekend.  :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin