Bringing my HW-19 into the next decade

Bill Epstein

Bringing my HW-19 into the next decade
« on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:16 pm »
You believe it's more than 10 years since Y2K?

I'm the 3rd owner of my HW-19 MK IV and there's a good chance it began life as a late model MK III so I'm thinking the base and top plate are about 20 years old. It suffered a few outrages before I got it and needed re-finishing so that's what I ear-marked for this weekend.

While I had it apart to fill and sand out the dings I took the opportunity to remove the T-nuts that hold the stock rubber feet and installed proper 1/4-20 threaded inserts to fit the spikes I have on hand or whatever tweaky feet I might choose in the future. Those 10-32 t-nuts are, well, t-nuts,  and too small.

20 years of silicone-based wood and acrylic polish resulted, as I figured it would, in the dreaded 'fish-eye' when I sprayed on a lacquer top-coat, even tho' the rattle can product I use contains fish-eye remover. So Plan "B", Zinsser Bullseye Seal Coat, a water-white, de-waxed shellac that comes out of the can as a 2 LB cut, perfect for padding on. Padded the base and the armboard which I reduced a bit in size to allow more of a gap 'tween it's side and the inside of the base.

Waiting for it to dry, re-assemble and hear is a drag so I'm hanging out here and posting this info that no one asked for. :lol:

Wayner

Re: Bringing my HW-19 into the next decade
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2010, 09:23 pm »
My HW-19jr. is from 1995 putting it at 15 years old. It was like new when I picked it up a few years ago and had extremely low hours on it. I'm not sure what makes it a junor, but I've been told mine has been modded with a thicker platter. Many folks say that the Hw-19 was (is) VPIs best table. Don't know, haven't owned any of the others.

Good luck with yours.

Wayner  :D

analog97

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2010, 10:59 pm »
Nice work on that table Bill.  I too have a VPI Mk IV, w/ TNT platter (must be 20 lbs?), SAMA, sorbothane pucks, RB300 re-wired w/Cardas, Heavyweight.  There is some magic with this table and the Clarinet/Cornet2/Piccolo combo.   Just black and smooth. 

One suggestion:  Wait for your table to dry..... :lol:

Bill Epstein

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:39 am »
Hooked it back up a few hours ag and it's playing entirely different tunes. I did a write-up with pix at VA if your interested

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/87/879236.html

fatty

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm »
Hi Bill,

Looks really GOOD !! I have a question. On your table--was the wood base the standard oak type base ? The reason I ask is that it doesn't look like oak now. It looks much better than the standard oak. It is allot smoother without the deep grain of the stock oak base. What did you do to make it look so smooth ?  I have the same table as you and
I would like to get that smooth type finish.

Thanx,
Jack

Bill Epstein

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:46 am »
That's a standard base but Walnut instead of Oak. Different grain structure. You could strip your base, then use a paste filler like what is done with antique music boxes but it's a PROJECT. It'll still show the Oak grain but with the pores filled have asmooth, velvety look.

Check websites for Behlen or Mohawk paste fillers.

MusicMtnMonkey

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:28 pm »
Nice work, looks beautiful!

I have an HW 19 MK III in my closet waiting for repair/maintenance, inspiring pictures, wish mine looked that nice!