The Hurt Locker

ltr317

The Hurt Locker
« on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm »
First of all, Happy New Year everyone.

I saw the movie last night and I must say it's my favorite movie this year and maybe the past two or three years.  It is a gripping, tense and suspenseful tale from beginning to end.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.  For those who haven't seen the movie, the basic plot is about an elite US bomb squad in Iraq in 2004.  The screenplay was written by Mark Boal, a journalist who was embedded with a bomb squad during the movie's time period.  The director, Kathryn Bigelow did a masterful job of camera angles and tension building throughout the entire movie.  As an example, the opening shots are seen from a remote robot's point of view and the audience is made to follow what the robot's camera sees.  I really hope the movie gets some academy award nominations.  I believe it's that good, although it's probably the most unlike hollywood movie I've seen in a long time. 

santacore

Re: The Hurt Locker
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:28 am »
There was a previous thread from when it first came out: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70249.0

Happy New Year to you! Glad to hear you liked the film. I think it's a fantastic movie, but I'm biased because I worked on it. I couldn't be happier about the positive press it's been getting. An Oscar nomination seems very possible. :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:13 pm »
now out on Blu-Ray and DVD

Barfly

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:39 pm »
This has to be one of the best war-movies ever made - at least rent this if you any interest in what's happening over there!

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:44 pm »

I saw the movie last night and I must say it's my favorite movie this year and maybe the past two or three years.  It is a gripping, tense and suspenseful tale from beginning to end.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.  For those who haven't seen the movie, the basic plot is about an elite US bomb squad in Iraq in 2004.  The screenplay was written by Mark Boal, a journalist who was embedded with a bomb squad during the movie's time period.  The director, Kathryn Bigelow did a masterful job of camera angles and tension building throughout the entire movie.  As an example, the opening shots are seen from a remote robot's point of view and the audience is made to follow what the robot's camera sees.  I really hope the movie gets some academy award nominations.  I believe it's that good, although it's probably the most unlike hollywood movie I've seen in a long time.

That's why it's generating Oscar buzz.  Doubt it'll hit the bull's eye though.  Oscars usually go to those films that generated the most $$ (That's Hollywood, and the movie-going public so to speak).  Kathryn Bigelow certainly did a masterful job  :thumb:.  Did I read somewhere that this is her debut?  Impressive.  The picture paints also the humanly side of war, a stark contrast.

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm »
YEs! This is a great movie along the lines of Apocalypse Now & Deer Hunter. On a smaller scale but dealing with the mental trauma of war.
M

santacore

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2010, 12:13 am »
Did I read somewhere that this is her debut?  Impressive.

No, she has directed a number of other films, most notably Point Break. She was also married to James Cameron and directed some of his smaller films.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2010, 01:22 am »
Kathryn Bigelow started directing features in the early-mid 80s. Near Dark, one of the best vampire movies ever. Given that AC is full of audio/video freaks, also check out Strange Days.

GHM

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:29 am »
 This pretty much describes how I felt after the first 45 mins of viewing this movie. The name hurt locker fits perfectly!

:lol: :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:41 am »
This pretty much describes how I felt after the first 45 mins of viewing this movie. The name hurt locker fits perfectly!

:lol: :lol:
I had the same feeling watching Sherlock Holmes.  :green:

Bigfish

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:37 pm »

The review I quoted exactly explains my feelings about this movie.  You have to be prepared to watch realistic urban warfare to watch this movie.  4 stars out of 5.

Ken

ltr317

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:07 am »
The review I quoted exactly explains my feelings about this movie.  You have to be prepared to watch realistic urban warfare to watch this movie.  4 stars out of 5.

Ken

:thumb:  Unfortunately, I agree with what Shek said several posts up.  It's not a Hollywood movie, nor will it generate a big profit, or maybe not at all.  Too many strikes against the movie by Hollywood standards.  I hope we are wrong though and that the movie does win an Oscar. 

mjosef

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:26 am »
saw this the other night, very well done.
The main characters was developed enough to forge some feelings of care in the viewer, you wanted them to survive their rotation. I like the director's look at the emotional tolls of war.

4/5 stars.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:44 am »
It got nominated in three categories at the Golden Globes: Best Picture, Best Director and Best Cinematography.
I thought that Jeremy Renner was excellent and should have been nominated for Best Actor.

-Roy

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2010, 08:40 am »
Saw this the other night...intense as hell and a strong flick!

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:25 am »
This thread makes me want to pick it up.  I really didn't care to see another war flick and was going to skip it until this thread.   I like the off-cantor films.  My sister's boy friend served in Iraq, lost some very close friends and experiences some PTSD.   That is my window into the war pyschi.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:00 pm »
I hope this wins the oscar over Avatar simply because of the simplicity of the movie itself: no CGI, big name stars (credited so as to draw in the crowds), over the top budget (made for only $11 million!) and not one wasted foot of film. The addiction to war has never been so adeptly depicted as this one. I was also delighted to see so many talented actors with such small but delicious roles who probably worked for scale just to get this movie made. I read that actual bomb disposal soldiers personally thanked Katherine Bigelow for making this movie and showing us what they are up against and the unorthodox nature of modern warfare. I know that Jeff Bridges will get the oscar (deservedly) but Jeremy Remmer seems to be flying under the radar on this one: his performance was great. He didn't seem to be acting at all.