I just need a 1 or 2 outlet power conditioner

schw06

I just need a 1 or 2 outlet power conditioner
« on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:22 pm »
I have been pondering a new power conditioner but just need one for my source and preamp and have been looking for something less than $1000 new or used. Unfortunately for me, most conditioners have 6-12 outlets which is way overkill. Anyone have good suggestions for a 1 or 2 outlet conditioner that doesn't destroy dynamics?

firedog

Re: I just need a 1 or 2 outlet power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:28 pm »
try ps audio products- they have 2 and 5 outlet conditioner "strips" which work well and are in your range

awe-d-o-file

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:33 pm »
If you only need one or two outlets and low current to boot (preamp and CD should be around 100 watts) then you definitely should look at a used PS Audio P-300 regenerator. I have had one for ten years and nothing comes close to the Multiwaves 120hz output for sound and image quality. I also have a Richard Gray 600 for my large current draining items and some DIY R/C networks which you can build  from here: www.econotweaks.com

No doubt the P-300 with its balanced power is the best solution. It has two outlets so you can plug four things into it. However you should never use more than 50-60% of its capability, leave it plenty of headroom or a limiter kicks in. You'll see them on A'gon from $400-600 depending on whether it has Multiwave or not or Multiwave II or if it has been upgraded with "gain cells"  and if it has a remote or not.

Good Luck!

ET

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:36 pm »
I have been pondering a new power conditioner but just need one for my source and preamp and have been looking for something less than $1000 new or used. Unfortunately for me, most conditioners have 6-12 outlets which is way overkill. Anyone have good suggestions for a 1 or 2 outlet conditioner that doesn't destroy dynamics?

Look in the Accessories for sale thread at the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75833.0

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2010, 03:33 pm »
Check out Alanmaherdesigns.com . With your budget you could havs a picnic with their product line.
  just understand that most power conditioners add something to the sound. Loss of dynamics, highlighted top etc. Others may soften the top and sound. Its a trip to find one that does nothing to the sonics and just cleans up the juice.
  The Alan Maher products do just that IMO and the price is right to boot. Start with some CBFs and Infinity shields.BTW I understand that Kaplancables makes an excellent conditioner [ Felix I believe] check them out as well  Good luck trying.

charles

mshan

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:01 pm »
Shunyata Hydra-2?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:42 pm »
I would highly recommend a free demo of the Majik Buss parallel filter conditioner that you can read about here. This 4 outlet conditioner could be all that you'll want or need to clean and lower the ground noise for your whole system. I along with many other AC members have these noise lowering filters in their system and with this 1 conditioner, there's no need to picnic for other bandades.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Nels Ferre

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:19 am »
I have a single duplex DeZorel unit that I will let go cheap. PM if interested.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2010, 01:23 am »
Shunyata Hydra-2?
I had the chance to audition this puppy in my system for about a week and there is probably some available at Audiogon.  It isn't terribly expensive to start with so a used one should be very affordable.  Seemed like it lowered the noise floor so that more instrumental and ambient info could emerge.  That's pretty cool that you can get a Majik Buss to demo in your system.  Definitely click on Robin's link.       

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2010, 01:28 am »
At the risk of pushing something I sell, I'd recommend the Audience aR2p:

http://audience-av.com/conditioners/ar2p_desc.php

(disclaimer: I'm an Audience dealer.  But I also use these...or rather, the discontinued 1-outlet version...on all but one of my personal systems)...

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2010, 11:35 am »
I also suggest the Majik Buss...price is great and from what people say, it makes a noticeable difference.  I have an AR1P and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference in my system.

decal

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2010, 09:27 pm »
PS Audio Duet. $199.00 new from several online sources.

NewBuyer

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:28 am »

+1

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:42 am »

I have a spare one if interested...

analogmart

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:41 am »
According to power conditioner, I prefer isolated transformer than noise filter, but weak points are its weight, cost and limited current. BTW, if you like a bit diy thing, this concept looks promise.
Balance isolation transformer.  :thumb:
http://www.sacthailand.com/

Browntrout

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm »
Every conditioner that is inline with the power supply will limit dynamics. The best power filtration is passive, like the ones I use.
  Of course this is only my opinion so is probably incorrect both in practice and theory.
  Have a look at what I use...
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1427&customer_id=PAA0455012910433QWGFRTUCOUZXGRBY

I have two of these one for power amp and one for pre amp. :thumb:

Occam

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2010, 09:15 pm »
Every conditioner that is inline with the power supply will limit dynamics. The best power filtration is passive, like the ones I use.
  Of course this is only my opinion so is probably incorrect both in practice and theory.
On a source component????  The current draw on a source component isn't anywhere near what would cause dynamic current delivery problems with a series reactive (inductor) element. Indeed, there are source components that don't react well to any power conditioning like my own CAT SL-1 preamp, whether parallel, or series/parallel. Actually one can avail themselves of this low current characteristic to use an inductor of higher inductance to lower the lowpass frequency to get even better filtering. Regardless of white papers and mystical scientific breakthroughs, a parallel filter(s) only gives you a 6db/octave lowpass. Indeed, some power amps don't like series/parallel filters. Mine perform quite admirably with them. I believe the many builders of the Felix diy series/parallel filters (found in the Lab Circle here on AC), have very similar experiences to mine, as do many users of Running Springs, Audience, etc... series/parallel filters.
If you want squashed dynamics, its quite easy to do with either a parallel, series/parallel, or even a proximity based conditioners. Each topology is capable of excellent or horrid performance; it simply depends on the implementation.

Have a look at what I use...
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1427&customer_id=PAA0455012910433QWGFRTUCOUZXGRBY

I have two of these one for power amp and one for pre amp. :thumb:
Actually, if all your components are fed from the same mains circuit, both filters feed both components. They are parallel, after all.... :wink:

FWIW,
Paul

batmanslc2

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2010, 10:11 pm »
i'm not the first to say PS audio duet, very well built and engineered for under 200!

Browntrout

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2010, 08:34 pm »
The current draw is irrelevant. The time delay produced is more distinguishable on pre amplifiers then power amplifers, it manifests itself slightly differently but is actually more detrimental to the timing of the music. The effect upon power amplifiers is more obvious but less detrimental to the enjoyment, of course in my opinion.
  It is interesting how the placement of these things changes their effect upon the sound, with the position in which they are plugged in my four way mains blocks being noticable relative to the component. After wiring each component through its' own ring main and then spur to the fuse box it really opens ones eyes to the effect that each component has on each others sound, even a turntable. With each part of the stereo having its' own dedicated shielded (or even better RF rejecting) mains circuit a stereo sounds completely different from how it sounded when relying upon house circuits, unrecognisable to my ears.
  This is the most fun part of hifi experimentation to me anyway. I have found that in a hifi mains circuit if there is poor quality wiring at any point (in the circuit) it will reduce sound quality even if it is not 'directly' connected to the stereo.
  As for being in parrallel anyway, yes they are, they did used to be seperated to the fuse box of the house. The proximity (actual length of conductors between them) is also a factor not just how they are connected in a circuit, the more you can seperate them the better, as in if they originate from a mains block then having three metres of good power cord from the block to each sounds better than having two metres. I've spent many months messing around with this listening for weeks at a time then trying something different, building a sort of understanding what my stereo likes. :D

P.S After a break (following a faulty power valve causing the heating circuit overloading) I now have my power amp back from what appears to be a complete rebuild by its' designer (Tom Willis of Art Audio) which if I'm not mistaken included updated power and output transformers and she sounds spectacular for it. :thumb:

P.P.S I think, depending upon how it works, a power filter filtering the power to two components is infact really partially combining the noise created by each into the others supply.