Stereo Kismet or Stratos Extreme monoblocs?....

AnalogDog

Stereo Kismet or Stratos Extreme monoblocs?....
« on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:44 am »
I currently own a pair of Stratos monoblocs. Would love to have Klaus Kismet them, but that's not in the cards. Question is, sonically, which would be better, to trade in my monoblocs and have Klaus build me a Kismet stereo amp, or to Extreme the monoblocs? I ask because Klaus once told me that the biggest jump in sound quality was to go from stereo (anything) to monoblocs. But I'm wondering if the Kismet has changed that equation? I'm looking for more refinement; huge amounts of power is secondary (but not at all unwelcome, since they're driving Magnepans). Thanks in advance.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Stereo Kismet or Stratos Extreme monoblocs?....
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2010, 02:24 am »
Why don't you call Klaus and ask him, who better to ask? Late evening is the best time.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2010, 05:19 pm »
I thought the Kissmet amp was completely different from the Stratos series
gary

AnalogDog

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2010, 09:31 pm »
I thought the Kissmet amp was completely different from the Stratos series
gary
Well, 'tis supposedly. But one can be shoehorned into a Stratos case, as the pics in another thread make clear. Looking at the circuit lay out, it looks the same as Stratos, only on steroids, with a lot better components.

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:15 am »
I second the motion to call Klaus and ask him.  I had a brief conversation with him and it sounds like the components in the Kismet are of higher quality so a Kismet stereo will sound better than the extreme mono's, but it won't have as much power.