Connecting crossover/drivers to binging posts

dgshtav

Connecting crossover/drivers to binging posts
« on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43 am »
I have the vampire binding posts and have a few connection options:

1. Pass the wire through the hole at the end of each post, loop once around the unthreaded part of the post and then solder.

2. Pass the wire through the hole at the end, loop once around the unthreaded part of the post and then apply goop (but then is goop completely removable if need be?)

3. Skip passing the wire through the hole altogether and just clamp it between the two nuts on each post (bolt).

To me, #3 is the cleanest and reversible without ruining the binding posts.

How do you connect your crossover/driver wires to the binding posts?

I'm very close to completing my LS-9 build. Hope to have these playing on the 1st of the new year....what a way to start the new year!!  :drums: :rock:

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Connecting crossover/drivers to binging posts
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:43 am »
I wouldn't trust #3 as the vibrations are likely to loosen the nuts in time. I would just solder. It can be reheated and melted again if need be, just add a little more solder to start it melting.

Ron

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2009, 12:49 pm »
 I have used Vampire binding post in previous speaker building projects. In my opinion,the best method to attach the crossover wires is to feed the wire end through the hole at the end of the post, bend 180 degrees, crimp with needle nose pliers, and then solder.

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:18 pm »
Option three would be my choice (and most pro shops do it that way too). Use a high quality "fish eye" crimp on connector and use the nuts on the posts to sinch it down. Don't over tighten it, just put enough torque on the nut that things don't come loose. A good high pressure connection is always best. aa

Good to here you're getting close. You're in for a very fun new year!

dgshtav

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2010, 12:03 am »
Thanks for the responses.

Though soldering it sounds the most secure option, it will be #3 it is for now as I will need to take it all apart when I finalize the finish plans on the cabinets. I am leaving them unfinished for a while.

I tried it on one of the cabinets and seems nice and tight. With the double locking nut, I don't think it should ever come lose by itself.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2010, 02:17 am »
My preferred method is thread wire though hole and bend back tightly then solder.
But if you are going to go with #3, you should definitely use a spade or fish eye connector crimped as stated above. That does leave you the option to make changes easily.
Either way will work fine of course.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2010, 04:20 pm »
I just slide the wire into the binding post and solder. You need a good hot soldering gun and really need to get the post good and hot when doing this.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2010, 04:43 pm »
I just slide the wire into the binding post and solder. You need a good hot soldering gun and really need to get the post good and hot when doing this.

Also nice to have that third hand when using this method. I call on one of my grandsons for assistance. :)