Too many drops = new IPhone 3GS

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Too many drops = new IPhone 3GS
« on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:31 am »
My iPhone 3G has suffered about 5 good drops from 2-4 feet to cement or tile. The case was physically split away from the phone near the rocker switch, and then I dropped it again yesterday. The case was now over the upper part of the rocker switch and would not turn on or off ( I thought). i managed to get it turned off and then to possibly save a trip to the Apple store I wrangled the case with a swiss army knife can opener. Got it off the rocker switch, and it worked!

Today I noticed that no apps worked - they would appear, then shut down immediately. "Normal" functions seemed to work, except for safari.

So off to the Apple store to see what my options were. Apple would "repair" the phone for $199, I think even without AppleCare. Or I qualified for a new 3GS for $199. They got me!

This time I wallked out with this slick case which completely protects the phone except for the screen itself - the one thing that seems indestructible in my experience.

So now I have an old iPhone 3G that can possibly function as an iPod 16GB and who knows what else if I take it apart to try to fix it.

Also and extra charger cord and headphones.

Life can be painful, but I need my phone for work (I am working from homethis week)  and its my only phone!

Anyone have good insurance on their iPhone. Best Buy offers it but it is $15/mo = $180/yr for a $199 phone!

Mariusz

Re: Too many drops = new IPhone 3GS
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:49 am »
I feel your pain buddy.
You have no idea how many iPods/phones/Archos I owned which share your experience. :duh:
My new jailbroken iphone is well for now but the search is on for new case which will give it somewhat better protection in my line of work.
The worst and most devastating accident happened to my original iPod years ago.
I dropped it into a toilet bowl - do not ask me how or what I was doing. :lol:
It proudly seats on the shelf in my basement as a reminder.

Best
Mariusz

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Too many drops = new IPhone 3GS
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:44 am »
Well I forgot the best part - as I was leaving the mall (where the Apple store is) I was talking on my new iPhone. I dropped the Apple bag with the boxes for the case and iPhone, and then - yes - I dropped my iPhone on the bricks. No worries, it was just fine!

The rattle/clank I heard was a terrible sound, but it was the sound of the case protecting my phone! This case is a really good one for $35 - it is a hard plastic with a soft/glossy feel. It has rubber runners that keep the case isolated in the back.

I also have a nice leather case for my belt, but I don't wear it much at all. It does not protect from a drop, just holds it securely on your belt until you take it out and possibly drop it...

I saw this case on someone's iPhone and asked who made it - it is called an Incase Slider - he had the black version.