Indy sits Peyton Manning and sacrifices the undefeated season

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Yep,,, I don't understand it myself and I hope it doesn't come back to bite them come playoff time. The poor backup Indy quarterback has had to withstand the boo's from the Indy crowd. Not good karma,,,,  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

Goosepond

• Virna!
Yeah, it really doesn't make sense. I could see sitting Manning if they were way ahead or behind. But in a close game and a chance to go undefeated, I don't know.

The only thing they ensured was Peyton didn't get hurt today. That's all.

The air seemed to go out of their balloon right then.

That expression on his face was something.

Gene

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I don't think it was a bad thing for the team.  Apropos of nothing, Indy doesn't impress me much; I think they've only played 5 or 6 games against team with winning records, and they just squeaked by several of them.  Am I the only guy that thinks the Bolts are gonna rip their lungs out...again?

sts9fan

It's lame and weak.

satfrat

• Restricted
To me, momentum is important as a team heads into the playoffs. It's hard to judge how this type of situation, in front of your own booing fans, will affect the team. It's a psychological roadblock imho that didn't need to be introduced. Seems to me Dungy did this same thing a few years back and it came back to rob the team of all their momentum.

Guess time will tell but it's got to be a letdown to every Indy player who had been striving for that undefeated season just to see it put into the hands of Painter, the backup quarterback.

Cheers,
Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I think it's "Painter."

satfrat

• Restricted
I think it's "Painter."
Thanks Rob,,, it was hard to really hear his name over all the boo's.  :lol:  Plus that poor guy was being planted more than he was paintin'.  aa

Cheers,
Robin

Bigfish

During the post game shows they have shown Peyton after he was removed from the game and he did not look happy about the decision.  He is an amazing quarterback and based on the way Painter played I can understand the coach not wanting to risk Manning more than necessary.  An undefeated regular season means nothing when you have secured the number 1 seed.  It is unfortunate for we the fans but it has happened every year except when the Pats played the Giants all out in the final season game.

I agree with a previous comment, no one wants to play the Chargers.  Rivers is hot and they have those three 6'5" receivers that no team can match up with.  They are my favorite to make the Super Bowl from the AFC.

Ken

satfrat

• Restricted
  He is an amazing quarterback and based on the way Painter played I can understand the coach not wanting to risk Manning more than necessary. 

What did he end up with for numbers Ken? I remember a 4-8 with 1 interception. Indy gave that game to the Jets on a silver plater(by taking out Manning) which was probably the only way they could have won that game. I can't agrue that the Colts are also my favorite in the AFC playoffs but I've seen them travel this path before and they never made it to the other end. We'll see,,,,

Cheers,
Robin

Bigfish

Robin:

Painter went 4 for 11 for 44 yards and 1 int.  As a Steelers Fan I definitely wanted the Colts to win the game but I also must face the reality that the Steelers lost to the Bears, The Raiders, The Chiefs and the Browns!  They dug their own hole!

I think the Management and Coaches of the Colts realize there only hope of a Superbowl Victory rides on the shoulders of Peyton Manning.  We the fans know they gave the game to the Jets today.  If Manning had stayed in the game they probably win; however, if Manning stayed in and got hurt, goodbye Superbowl Chances!

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Indy sits Peyton Manning and sacrifices the undefeated season
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2009, 02:15 am »
Robin:

Painter went 4 for 11 for 44 yards and 1 int.  As a Steelers Fan I definitely wanted the Colts to win the game but I also must face the reality that the Steelers lost to the Bears, The Raiders, The Chiefs and the Browns!  They dug their own hole!

I think the Management and Coaches of the Colts realize there only hope of a Superbowl Victory rides on the shoulders of Peyton Manning.  We the fans know they gave the game to the Jets today.  If Manning had stayed in the game they probably win; however, if Manning stayed in and got hurt, goodbye Superbowl Chances!

While I do agree, that has been their scenario since week 1. Guess the Vermonter in me says if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's just not right to give up an undefeated season cuz you want to play it safe. I'm glad I'm not a Colt fan cuz I'd be fuming!  :evil:

Dallas hosts next years SuperBowl but like Jerry Jones said in an interview before tonites game, why wait til next year.  aa

Cheers,
Robin

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:25 pm »
I did not see the game but read the write up.
I would have played to win.  I've seen too many games lost when the leading team goes into the prevent defense.  (Packers vs. Steelers)
I say blitz em till the cows come home.  Keep the mo up and roll through the playoffs.  Go with the stuff that got you here.  Hell, they got two more tough games before they get to the SB.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:44 pm »
As a Jet fan I was truly disappointed to see him pulled. It was a disgrace to the home town fans and Football IMO. A rookie coach mistake or prudent thinking ? A BIG MISTAKE,.

charles

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:49 pm »
The teams that are hot are the ones that go to and win the SuperBowl.   I agree.... it is a dumb choice to sit your players.   

Teams that look good right now.

Chargers
Dallas
Patriots

I don't care what the regular season record is.... all that counts is you make it to the playoffs and are playing your best ball at this time of the year.   The Colts dropped one going into the playoffs and that is never a good thing.

Bigfish

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:06 pm »
I have been listening to Sirius Channel 124 (The NFL Channel) this morning and all the fans I have heard call in are upset that the Colts did not play for the win.  I personally think that the coach is taking the heat for this decision but I believe it was a decision supported or mandated by the Colts front office.

Ken

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:10 pm »
The teams that are hot are the ones that go to and win the SuperBowl.   I agree.... it is a dumb choice to sit your players.   

Chargers
Dallas
Patriots

I don't care what the regular season record is.... all that counts is you make it to the playoffs and are playing your best ball at this time of the year.   The Colts dropped one going into the playoffs and that is never a good thing.

I couldn't agree more Kevin, it's all about momentum for these playoff teams, what you did to get there means squat. A good example was the NY giants when they snuck into the playoffs with a 9-7 season but ended up playing some of their best football in the playoffs to win the Superbowl.

I would imagine the Indy fans and their players wanted to be in the record books, Indy has been sooo close with Peyton, so it's gotta be disheartening to see the coach give up on this dream for the sole purpose of resting/protecting Peyton.

Wouldn't it be poetic justice to see the NY Jet's beat Indy in the playoffs and have the media have a field day with the fact that Indy let them in the playoffs to begin with?  :o That scenario is a longshot, the Jet's need some breaks to even get there, but I'm just saying what if,,,, poetic justice.  8)

You don't give anyone anything in the NFL!

Cheers,
Robin

Bigfish

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:16 pm »
You don't give anyone anything in the NFL!

Lets watch the games next weekend!  Will the Bengals give the Jets a break and rest their starters on Sunday Night? Will New England play their best against Houston? 

Robin brings up a very interesting point.  Do you want to take it easy on a team, let them beat you, and then have to face them again in the playoffs? 

Ken

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:31 pm »
This was not unexpected. I think most of the analyst predicted as the Colt's goal is a Superbowl and not a perfect season that key players would be protected.

Rookie coaching mistake? No.

Disappointing if you are a fan? Yes.

Whether they make the SB or not, I think it's mighty impressive that w/ losing both Dungy and Harrison, they still had such a great season.

I didn't see the game. I would bet if Manning looked upset it's because he's a competitor and wanted to be out there. But I would also bet he understands the situation and has absolutely no beef w/ the decision.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2009, 09:05 pm by drphoto »

rydenfan

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:37 pm »

Chargers
Dallas
Patriots

I would say Philly is a much hotter team than New England right now. They and San Diego are playing the best football in the league right now IMO. Philly/Dallas next weekend should be a great game.

Dawkus

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:28 pm »
Hi,I think the Bigfish had it right!As a lifelong Pats fan from Portland Me.,I will always remember the Pats undefeated season with Brady and Moss with 5o touchdowns thrown,then losing to the Giants with the infamous (helmet catch)in the Super Bowl,that maybe the Pats had lost,as Appollo Creed said to Rocky,(The eye of the tiger).Maybe the Indy coach saw this and might rather have that cool ring on his finger rather than silence the bragging rights of Larry Zonka,Larry Little,Greise,and I can't think of the others,wait,the No Name Defense!I would put your money on the Colts,but agree with all that if I could of passed a hankie thru my television to Payton,cause I thought he was crying,ala Tim Teboe,I would have.....Dawkus.