Need headphones for Pro Fire 610 audio interface

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Need headphones for Pro Fire 610 audio interface
« on: 27 Dec 2009, 07:45 pm »
I have a new audio interface for home recording. I need a set of headphones to plug into this unit. 

Wondering about the Sennheiser HD 200 for this - will only use it for the home recording and possibly work, not my home system.

Here are the specs for headphone out

Headphone Outputs at Maximum Volume into 32 ohm Load
Frequency Response   +/- 0.1dB, 20Hz to 22kHz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio   -108dB (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range   108dB (A-weighted)
THD+Noise   0.003% (-90.0dB), 1kHz, -1dBFS
Max Output Level into 32 ohms   +2.9dBV, typical
Power into Ohms   60 mW into 32 ohms
Output Impedance   75 ohm
Load Impedance   24 to 600 ohms
Crosstalk   <-75dB @ 1kHz

I prefer closed since it is recording, and may use it at work also.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2009, 03:35 am by jqp »

pardales

Re: Need headphones for Pro Fire 610 audio interface
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2009, 08:13 pm »
I have a new audio interface for home recording. I need a set of headphones to plug into this unit. 

Wondering about the Sennheiser HD200 for this - will only use it for the home recording and possibly work, not my home system.

Here are the specs for headphone out

Headphone Outputs at Maximum Volume into 32 ohm Load
Frequency Response   +/- 0.1dB, 20Hz to 22kHz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio   -108dB (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range   108dB (A-weighted)
THD+Noise   0.003% (-90.0dB), 1kHz, -1dBFS
Max Output Level into 32 ohms   +2.9dBV, typical
Power into Ohms   60 mW into 32 ohms
Output Impedance   75 ohm
Load Impedance   24 to 600 ohms
Crosstalk   <-75dB @ 1kHz

I prefer closed since it is recording, and may use it at work also.

Anyone?

No headphone rec's but I just got one of these a few weeks ago to use as a Firewire to SPDIF converter between my Macbook PRO and my DAC. It works excellent! I have never had a pair of decent headphones and am consider using the Profire as a headphone amp.

« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2009, 08:18 am by pardales »

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2009, 02:55 am »
The SennheiserHD 200 seems to be extinct - anyone have an opinion on the HD 238?

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:11 am »
My .02.

I went searching for inexpensive ($60-90) headphones for this guy a year and a half ago. I went to several places and often listened to Sennheiser headphones. (I think they have about 10K models out there  :lol: ) Frankly, the sound was all over the place - generally bad - as well as a few good ones. Sorry, I don't remember which model it was - and he ended up not really liking them. I think you need to listen to them yourself.

Good luck.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:50 am »
found a thread on head-fi about the HD 238

First, it is not completely enclosed - so it would not be good for work - on the other hand it might be good for me at home where I need to hear phones etc.

Second the main poster said they sound great after - yes - 150 hours of break in. This makes some sense...

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2010, 05:27 am »
The HD 238s are OK but not what I had in mind.

They are not enclosed, but semi-enclosed.

They do not have a phono plug but a 3.5 jack

The cable is a thin wire

They seem a little flimsy

The sound is reported to be very good after hours of bass sweeps, etc.

The sound seems to be good for what I require - checking/monitoring recordings using the audio interface connected to my computer workstation or laptop.

I am a little concerned about using them in my home recording studio environment or even in the field, due to the fragility. They are designed for commuting or computer listening it seems and so they are not very robust.

I think I need a set of heavier-duty cans, with a a phono plug and a thicker cable as in a 'traditional' old-school set of headphones. I don't need really heavy duty or expensive, but mid-range. I am finding there are so many different types of "headphones", that I have to wade through ten times the info I though I would to find anything close to what I am looking for!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:06 pm »
PM Russell Dawkins a member here he likes a pair of reasonably priced headphones but the model escapes me.

ED

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2010, 07:37 am »
The cheapest headphones that seem really to fit your criteria of which I am aware would be the Audio Technica ATH M-50. They sell new for around $160 (don't know what your budget is, but I wouldn't compromise to save $60).

I would characterize them as comfortable, robust and a little heavy. They isolate very well indeed, have stupendous bass which will let you hear any problems down at the bottom end in no uncertain terms.

They are not the last word in openness but at $160 you can't have everything - in fact I know few headphones of the closed variety that I would characterize as "open". Surprise!

Tonally, the midrange and top is close enough to work with, and much closer to neutral than 95% of the headphones of any kind out there, and I'm not exaggerating. Distortion sounds low and headroom is sufficient. They are easy to drive.

I don't own a pair, but would consider it if I needed what they offer, but as it is I have Etymotic Research ER4Ss which cover all those basses, except possibly the last 10 Hz at the bottom, and that is not important enough for me to forgo the extreme compactness of the ETYs. If money were no object then yes, I'd have a pair in the studio, if only for the novelty of really hearing deep synth bass better than many have ever heard it - they are that good in the bass.

Each earcup rotates 90 degrees and I believe they come with a mic case-like holder which is super-cool forgoing on remotes.

AT really nailed it with these, and I think they're targeted right at you, "jqp"!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2010, 02:29 pm »
Thanks Russell - was able to find some reviews of the Audio Technica ATH M-50 - plenty of home recording users say this one  is great for my needs too.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2010, 07:23 pm »
Just ordered a pair of these (ATH M-50) now that my trip is over - should have them in a few days.

$105 from ProAudioMart on eBay

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:01 pm »
I really like these Audio Technica ATH M-50 so far!

For their intended purpose they do many things right. I got the coiled cable version, but it is straight cable for about 3 feet, then the coil for about 18 inches to the jack. This is perfect for sitting at a desk, but if I need to stretch to move a mic stand or guitar, I have another 3-4 feet. Also there are nice details such as strain relief at the jack, and also a nice storage pouch made of rubbery feeling vinyl something.

Trying them with my iPhone initially, I can tell the drivers need some time to break in. But good detail and efficient enough for the iPhone.

The cans are comfortable and block out ambient noise fine. But the band is a little tighter than I would like - will have to stretch it a bit. The cans also move on many axes so you can get the optimum feel.

I will try them on my nOrh ACA and also my Outlaw 950. The major use will come from my ProFire 610 but I have been too busy to check that to any extent.

So the Sennheiser 238s are going back this week to BB. By comparison they are much less substantial (and semi enclosed) for monitoring for about the same money I was able to find the  ATH M-50 for. No big surprise since these Audio Technicas proclaim that they are "Monitor Headphones". I think they will be the sweet spot for my home recording needs, and also excellent for private iPhone listening when I have to work in a distracting environment.

Thanks Rusell for the great recommendation!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:45 pm »
I'm glad you're liking them.

If you haven't heard anything with deep synth bass yet - you have a treat in store for you!

They sound basically flat down to the limits of perception - around 25Hz, for most people.