Merry Christmas to all!

Bill Thomas

Merry Christmas to all!
« on: 25 Dec 2009, 12:53 am »
     In these days of "political correctness", it seems that we are subjected to more and more people who are afraid to appear "controversial."  As MOST of you know by now, I'm too old to play those games and MUCH too honest (for my own good) to even try.

With that in mind, I wanted to take a moment to wish the Christians in our forum the MOST blessed Christmas ever!  (You atheists are busy celebrating festivus anyway.)  While it's all too easy to relegate this most special of Holidays to the "exchanging of gifts" thing, I hope you keep in mind the GREATEST gift given to the Christian world.  Whether you attend Church, or just take a few moments to thank God for giving us ears and a brain to appreciate the music and sound we enjoy the rest of the year, PLEASE keep God in your thoughts and in your hearts.

It has been a VERY challenging year for many of us and next year appears to be even tougher (I'm sorry to say).  Take a moment to be truly thankful for the simple joys in life.  While "things" are always nice, keep in mind the truly IMPORTANT aspects:  Home.  Family.  Friends.  In the final analysis, it isn't the "things" that provide lasting joy.  It is the love for, and of others in our lives that REALLY matters.

May you truly have a richly blessed Christmas.  And may God bless us all during the coming year.

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

PeterCapo

Re: Merry Christmas to all!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2009, 04:13 am »
Hey Bill,

Great Christmas message – much appreciated!

PeterCapo

Listens2tubes

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2009, 09:39 pm »
As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short. :duh: Merry Christmas Bill and all ye audio nuts. :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS to All---------MERRY CHRISTMAS to All------------MERRY CHRISTMAS to All
I share your sentiments and thank you for your good wishes. :xmas:

Thol

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2009, 10:50 am »
Thanks Bill ... for your passion and care ... as an audiophile, a moderator and a truly generous person. All of us have benefited from your experience and fascination with the astonishment that the world offers us in audio.

The late Dr Gizmo said and wrote some things that showed many of us that audio was not just an arcane enthusiasm. He approached it from the point of view of being a connection to nature — the astonishment of living in a universe of infinite possibility — a place where we could grasp some of the beauty. All the wiring and soldering, experimentation — and indeed the sharing — were all a part of this. And, I've not forgotten that he said some courage was often involved.

I've thought about this a lot. And sometimes when I sit in front of a mess of wires and stuff I barely if at all understand, I remember this notion. When I say, what the hell am I doing this for? Why struggle? Why not just rent a DVD and watch the latest movie blah blah? Then I switch on the iron ... and ... maybe I sort of get it. Dr Gizmo said that while we were constructing audio, many of us were reporting back to a Neolithic experience. Well, this may certainly be ridiculed by many. But his idea was that we were making tools to do something in life that we needed. We were, in a way, 'wired' to to do stuff.

Well ... I do not want to wonder too far, Bill. I just wanna say yes on your exhortation that life, sound, listening is a miraculous blessing. And an atheist should find no trouble with this!

Thanks ... Thol/strieb/lorne/ Lorne ... depending on the forum :green: