What I want for Christmas

avahifi

What I want for Christmas
« on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:23 pm »
I want one of these for Christmas.  :)

http://gizmodo.com/5432419/levitate-your-stereo-like-all-real-audiophiles-do-with-the-zero-gravity-shelf

Merry Christmas to all my fans and clients and well wishers and all you nice folks at AC.

I will be shut down for the next 2-3 days enjoying the holiday blizzard on the way and more.l

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

srb

Re: What I want for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:49 pm »
Google doesn't come up with any link to their website, but some of the tech/gadget sites have a link to www.moonaudio.com.  Linking to the site results in a Bandwith Limit Exceed error (The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.)

Hmmmm....

My questions are:

1.  What is the weight limit?

2.  Can vibrations be transmitted through a closely coupled magnetic field?

I see two little posts or something on either side, maybe as a limiter to keep the top platform from being accidentaly pushed out of magnetic field range?

It would be interesting to test by placing a vibrating massager on one of the platforms and see if anything is transmitted to the other.  Could this be the ultimate solution for a turntable shelf?

Frank, you should probably just build this in as standard equipment to all your AVA components!

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:01 pm »
My wish for Christmas is electricity. We lost power at 7:15am this morning and it's 10:00 now and still no power. No music, no TV, no phones, but the water still works (hee, hee). Amazing how things get taken for granted until they are gone. By the way, there is also a major blizzard coming our way.

Everyone have a great Christmas, drive safe and have fun.

Wayner  :D

srb

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:05 pm »
My wish for Christmas is electricity. We lost power at 7:15am this morning and it's 10:00 now and still no power. No music, no TV, no phones, but the water still works (hee, hee). Amazing how things get taken for granted until they are gone. By the way, there is also a major blizzard coming our way.

How are you posting?  You could be on a battery laptop.  Do you have a UPS on your modem/router?

Steve

gjs_cds

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:24 pm »
Merry Christmas to all my fans and clients and well wishers and all you nice folks at AC.
Best regards,
Frank Van Alstine

And a Merry Christmas to you, Frank.  I got my amp back yesterday--and immediately upon hooking it up, I heard what I had been missing :)

Thanks again,

TjMV3

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2009, 05:30 pm »
Merry Christmas,   everyone!

........ and stay warm and safe.

Bottom's up aa

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2009, 05:38 pm »
Power just came back on!!!!! Now to reset clocks and Sony HD tuners. Yes Steve, I have battery operated laptops here at the Wayner ranch. We can't let something like electricity stop any production at AVA. Always at the wheel!  aa

And if you believe all that BS......

May Santa bring you all Vision DACs and if not, place your orders soon. Perhaps you've been bad  :( and He's not going to bring you one.

Wayner  :D

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2009, 08:21 pm »
This was in the comments!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Tim Gee: If I wanted to remove vibrations, in fact, I might tend to go the other way and strongly couple it to a very heavy object. Like a planet.

@AmphetamineCrown: Yes, but where are we going to find a planet Mr. Smartguy? Hmm? Hmm? Don't have an answer for that do you? No, I didn't think so.

@Jake712: Er... What about... say... *earth*?

Radical, I know. But it might be close enough to work.

@AmphetamineCrown: That's just crazy enough to work! Now, where do we locate this "earth"? If it's not too far we can take my car.

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:03 pm »
Wayner, you must have lived in the area where this guy tried to steal the copper and hit the transformer with it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:08 pm »
....is a tube amp to try that will drive my speakers effortlessly and sound beautiful. 

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:20 pm »
rcag_ils, there was a dude in Minneapolis that tried to steal copper wire off of a high-voltage transmission line! What are they, 50,000 volts? Unfortunately, his guardian angle was on duty that night as he survived his own stupidity. I'll try to be more sympathetic and feel for the guy, but sometimes the "buffalo" theory has to come into play. Just his lucky day, I guess.

jtwrace, the Ultravalve is moments away from production (waiting for new, cool faceplates) and your wish can come true (along with an order for Frank) that I'm sure you will be pleased with.

Wayner  :xmas:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:39 pm »
jtwrace, the Ultravalve is moments away from production (waiting for new, cool faceplates) and your wish can come true (along with an order for Frank) that I'm sure you will be pleased with.
Wayner  :xmas:

I called Frank yesterday but no answer...as one would expect this time of year.  I will try next week if he'll be around as I have a few questions / concerns.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:02 pm »
I think he is gone for the weekend to a friends. Thanks for the beautiful wine basket, Frank! UPS just delivered it.

Wayner  :wine: :xmas: :beer:

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:41 pm »
Frank left a day early to beat the storm.

Wayner, I just got my basket too.

Happy Holidays.

Regards,
Dean

Listens2tubes

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2009, 03:04 am »
Wayne you should make Frank's wish come true. DIY :thumb: http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=1 has all you need. :drool: Of coarse you could make it even better that those moonies anyday. :beer:

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL YE AUDIO NUTS

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2009, 08:02 am »
Visions of a Van Alstine Vision DAC dance in my head!

Happy Holidays to everyone! :xmas:

werd

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:56 am »
I want one of these for Christmas.  :)

http://gizmodo.com/5432419/levitate-your-stereo-like-all-real-audiophiles-do-with-the-zero-gravity-shelf

I will be shut down for the next 2-3 days enjoying the holiday blizzard on the way and more.l

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

The idea here is to order a real big one. Get your women on there and become an elite member of the zero gravity club......  :lol:

turkey

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:46 pm »
The idea here is to order a real big one. Get your women on there and become an elite member of the zero gravity club......  :lol:

They've magnetically levitated a small frog, but not humans yet.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:51 pm »
I imagine that David Blaine's audio components just levitate without any magnetic device.

Steve