suggestions for great id power conditioners

stump4545

suggestions for great id power conditioners
« on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:32 am »
any suggestions for a great power conditioner for my 2 channel rig?

prefer high value internet direct small companies.

thanks for the leads.

Big Red Machine

Re: suggestions for great id power conditioners
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2009, 01:48 pm »
Are you looking for passive or active?

What power problems are you having? 

How many pieces would be connected?  Wattage requirement.

Your budget?  $150 or $5000?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2009, 01:58 pm »
The only 2 I've personally heard that didn't limit things in some way are the BPT and the Running Springs. 

I'm a bit jaded as I know Chris Hoff from BPT but his stuff just sounds good and stays out of the way.

Bryan

stump4545

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:01 pm »
looking for more of a surge protection right now as i haven't encountered any power problems yet but i do want to protect my equipment from surges and i definitely wanted to be under $2k.

what do you suggest?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:32 pm »
contact Dave Elledge at PI Audio for a MajikBuss ($595) or UberBuss ($995)

see this thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67931.0

I think one of these with http://www.elect-spec.com/isofltr.htm#Laboratory Grade that and you'll be set! 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2009, 07:47 pm »
looking for more of a surge protection right now as i haven't encountered any power problems yet but i do want to protect my equipment from surges and i definitely wanted to be under $2k.

what do you suggest?

Check out Tripp  Lite. Will not affect the signal or sound one bit. One of the biggest secrets of the golden ears. IMO these will not degrade ones sound if properly sized for the intended gear. Strips, Isolation tannies and much more. Well under your budget.

Also check out the Alan Maher products. I have had wonderfull results with their CBF filters. Together you get both worlds for a FAIR price. Brilliant!

charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2009, 07:50 pm »

what do you suggest?

Check out Triplite. Will not affect the signal or sound one bit.

I tend to disagree as everything affects the sound.  May be better or worse but it's still  affected.

Also check out the Alan Maher products. I have had wonderfull results with their CBF filters.
This product will NOT solve the original posters needs.
charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:22 pm »

what do you suggest?

Check out Triplite. Will not affect the signal or sound one bit.

I tend to disagree as everything affects the sound.  May be better or worse but it's still  affected.

Also check out the Alan Maher products. I have had wonderfull results with their CBF filters.
This product will NOT solve the original posters needs.
charles

Agreed everything affects the sound in one way or another. My experience with Tripp Lite was it did not impart any negative results in the sound. With the addition of the Alan Maher CBFs the result was VG overall.
   Have you tried these in your system ? I am talking from hands on experience not conjecture. IMO, in my system [ which is quite revealing] Tripp Lite offers excellent surge protection especially for the price. Isn't that what he is looking for ?

charles

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2009, 09:47 pm »
I use a Vansevers passive unit on the small electronics and no real units on the amps.  Every spare outlet has an Alan Maher in it and I have some other passive devices sprinkled in - all for noise reasons.  No voltage fluctuation issues here.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2009, 09:56 pm »
contact Dave Elledge at PI Audio for a MajikBuss ($595) or UberBuss ($995)

see this thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67931.0

I think one of these with http://www.elect-spec.com/isofltr.htm#Laboratory Grade that and you'll be set!

+1 

I have an UberBuss and use it together with a Furman IT Reference 20i and I am quite happy with the combination.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2009, 12:01 am »
The only 2 I've personally heard that didn't limit things in some way are the BPT and the Running Springs. 

I'm a bit jaded as I know Chris Hoff from BPT but his stuff just sounds good and stays out of the way.

Bryan

I also have to 2nd BPT balanced power conditioners that are built with audio in mind. Then again adding a MajikBuss/Uberbuss before the BPT did improve the 2400watt BPT's performace. Lots of ways to go about cleaning up the power, an audio system will most likely benefit to some extent from doing so. My system was transformed and my wallet suffered as a result of my new awakening to clean high end audio. You've been duely warned.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

gerald porzio

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2009, 12:53 am »
What are id pwr. conditioners? Are there ego pwr. conditioners? Psych 101 grads need to know.

stump4545

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:48 pm »
besides buying a power conditioner and auditioning it,

how does one know if they have a power problem and need more then just a surge protector?

K Shep

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2010, 09:19 pm »
What are id pwr. conditioners? Are there ego pwr. conditioners? Psych 101 grads need to know.

id = internet direct company.  This describes a mfg that sells goods via the internet not in at a retail location (store) or through distribution.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2010, 02:54 am »
how does one know if they have a power problem and need more then just a surge protector?
If you live where there is a power grid and want the best audio and video performance you need a conditioner.  Sad, but true.

Dave