2-Way OB

riverrat373

2-Way OB
« on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:31 am »
Hi everyone! I'm new here and hope to learn from the more experienced members here. I am intrigued by the simplicity of the open baffle system and plan on experimenting with different ideas and designs.
My first idea I'm kicking around is a 2-way ob using a Pioneer B20 full range(Parts Express #290-045) and an Eminence Alpha 15(Parts Express #290-407) for each channel with a custom crossover.

I don't have room for a really wide baffle and have dimensions of 18-20" wide and about 45" tall with the bottom edge of the woofer about 10" off the floor. The top edge of the B20 would be about 4-6" from the top of the baffle. I'm going with the B20 because it seems to a good driver for the money. I know the Eminence has been used with  a Fostex full range but I'm on a budget. Any thoughts would be appreciated! :green:

gvimhoof

Re: 2-Way OB
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2009, 06:15 am »
Greetings!

I don't have any experiment with the BOFU20, but a lot of people say good things about what you get for the money.  I just finished my first pair of DIY speakers- Open Baffle FE103E over an Alpha 15 in an H-Frame last weekend (Martin King's design) and I am VERY happy with the results.  I recommend checking out www.quarter-wave.com and clicking on "Open Baffle Theory."  I highly recommend spending some time with an open baffle project if you've never spent any time with one.  "Open" is a very good description of the sound.

fergs1

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2009, 11:09 am »
Hey gvimhoof, did you have to change the crossover values and if so what did you use for the lp and hp. I have my alpha Hframes finished and just have to make a small baffle to sit on top for the small fullranger(haven't decided yet but I think I'll go with the ff85k). Cheers  chris
P'S' could you post a pic(s) of of your version?

gvimhoof

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
Hello Chris,

The pic of these is on my thread "Question about Open Baffle project."  I ordered my cross over components before I discovered the H-Frame paper by Martin King (200Hz and 400Hz if I remember), so I actually have my crossover set as spec'd in the first paper (doh!).  I didn't discover any problems listening to these and have had other people critique these which gave me very positive notes.  I am completely happy "as is"- until I feel like I want to do something else.  I found a guy who ran his Alpha 15 straight w/ no lo pass who loved it (open baffle).  I also found a guy who had to lower his lo pass filter to 125Hz because his mid-bass was too muddy (H-Frame).  If I were building another, I would probably try the 125Hz just to see the difference.  Who knows?  I may try that anyway, once I recover from Christmas.  It won't be a problem to get to the crossover on mine.

gvimhoof

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:28 am »
Hey riverrat373!

Any progress on your project?