Close to wall placement of HT3

gchuva

Close to wall placement of HT3
« on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:04 pm »
What are the adverse consequences of placing HT3's to close to a wall?  Can the consequences be minimized through EQ systems or use of a sub?  Acoustic treatments are not an option.

My concern would be only having 12" of space between the back of the speaker and the wall for the LRC speakers.  I am also considering the HT2-TL's, but since I only want to do this one time am leaning towards the HT3's.  In the future, I may have a larger apt so I can add more distance between the speaker and the wall.

Big Red Machine

Re: Close to wall placement of HT3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:26 pm »
Bass will be your enemy and pretty hard to EQ that out w/o killing the whole atmosphere.  You could get front ported HT3's for more breathing space and that would help with the breathing issue of the piston pump you will have there.

gchuva

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:20 pm »
Bass will be your enemy and pretty hard to EQ that out w/o killing the whole atmosphere.  You could get front ported HT3's for more breathing space and that would help with the breathing issue of the piston pump you will have there.

Are there any drawbacks to front ported HT3s?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:23 pm »
Just looks.

gchuva

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2009, 12:20 am »
Just looks.

I have seen another thread where Jim says front porting is never ideal, and produced measurable (if not necessarily audible) differences.  Would a sealed HT3 design be more viable?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2009, 03:30 am »
I have seen another thread where Jim says front porting is never ideal, and produced measurable (if not necessarily audible) differences.  Would a sealed HT3 design be more viable?

The main issue with front porting is port noise.  If the HT3's were tuned lower, the port noise associated with front porting through a single 3" port would be a problem and multiple 3" ports would be too long for use in this cabinet with the HT3 woofer.  But a sealed design would roll off way too early and would definitely require the addition of a subwoofer to get anywhere near the same type of response.

All in all, rear porting is best, but we have front-ported HT3's when necessary and the results were quite good.

- Jim

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2009, 09:09 am »

All in all, rear porting is best, but we have front-ported HT3's when necessary and the results were quite good.

- Jim

Have you tried side porting? (Guessing that inside porting would be better for placement reasons.)

Srgtfury

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2009, 06:51 pm »
Has anyone tried a snuff box?

Thank you very much

Fury

cdorval1

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2009, 09:43 pm »
I'm not sure what has happened, but our HT3s are now about 6 inches from the back wall and angled in slightly, and the effect is terrific. The bass seems very natural and very present when in the music.  Probably I'm getting some sort of weird bass peak, but the effect is very pleasant.  So I'm not going to run around the living room with a frequency analyzer.

Craig

Woolz

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2009, 10:55 pm »

You might try going to Audio Central and search "Master Set Speaker Placement".
I have found it very helpful.

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:43 am »
I think you should go with a sealed speaker either from Salk or elsewhere.  For something like the HT3s, acoustic treatments are almost a must in most rooms.

gchuva

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2009, 11:56 pm »

The main issue with front porting is port noise.  If the HT3's were tuned lower, the port noise associated with front porting through a single 3" port would be a problem and multiple 3" ports would be too long for use in this cabinet with the HT3 woofer.  But a sealed design would roll off way too early and would definitely require the addition of a subwoofer to get anywhere near the same type of response.

- Jim

Assuming I will use 2 subs in my system, then I can plug the ports?  What size plug would I use?