Recommendations on Wireless N routers

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Recommendations on Wireless N routers
« on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:19 pm »
I am looking for something that is fast and has good range without breaking the bank.

Extra features like NAS capability via USB a plus, but not required.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

George
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 03:41 pm by zybar »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Recommendations on Wireless N routers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:07 pm »
I need one of these too.

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:14 pm »
I bought a Belkin N+ router. It was terrible and not user friendly. It is rated as having excellent distance but don't buy it. I took it back and the store told me they had nothing but trouble with them. I got a Linksys N plus and it is excellent. I called tech support for both routers. Both rely on tech support from India

AB

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2009, 09:08 pm »
I have used both a Linksys WRT400N and a WRT610N. Both have worked fine and required hardly no effort at all to get up and running.
I upgraded from the 400 to the 610 to get the 610's gigabit switch - the 400 is only 10/100 - for faster backups.
The USB port on the 610 might eventually be a good addition but for now I have left it alone.  There are numerous threads out there on the interwebs about it being poorly implemented with the current firmware.
I will put the 400 up for sale after Christmas if anyone's interested. It's about 2 months new.  :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:48 am »
I have an extra D-Link if anyone's interested. This model: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=501
It's less then a year old and has seen light use.

rahimlee54

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:36 am »
I'd get a Asus 520GL, flash it with ddwrt and turn up the wireless power.  Cheap and it is a proven standard, which I dont think wireless N is there yet, I could be wrong though.  The asus can be found for 30 on sale and I have one as an access point and it works great.  It has a usb for file sharing or to use as a print server.  A friend of mine has a wifeless N D link he loves and if you do a lot of in network activity it would be worth the cash, but I think the 54g will work for most all of us.

lcrim

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:36 pm »
The Linksys WRT610N is available refurbished from Linksys online site http://www.shoplinksys.com/Refurbished-Product_stcVVcatId543906VVviewcat.htm for $109.95
IME, refurbished units get checked more closely than new. 

craig223

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:05 pm »
I am a big Linksys fan.  We have been running one of their earliest 802.11n models since it was first introduced and there have been no issues.  We have 2 ipod touch players, a Wii, a couple of laptops and a desktop all running off the thing.  Linksys stuff just works.

PS - Do not forget to setup the encryption! 

Audiophiliac

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2009, 07:36 am »
I cannot be happier with my Airport Extreme dual band router. It has the speed and range more than enough for me. And it has USB for network storage and/or print server. It takes some getting used too as far as configuration, but it works and works well.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2009, 02:21 pm »
Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

I grabbed a D-Link DIR-825 wireless router on sale for $109 shipped form Newegg.com

I also grabbed a LINKSYS WPC600N wireless card adapter for an older laptop for only $14.99 shipped.

George