How to get digital out from Macbook Pro to coax only dac

Raiderone

Hello, what is the best way, performance-wise, to get the digital signal to a coax only dac?  I know of the Hagdac which converts the usb out to coax, but is this the best (or only) way to do it?  Thanks.

SwedeSound

Re: How to get digital out from Macbook Pro to coax only dac
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:48 am »
something like this work for you? http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html
it's been highly touted over in the hi-rez circle.

Jason

mchuckp

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:15 am »
I have not tried one of these but supposedly they are highly regarded and would give you remote controlled switching with other devices connected to your DAC.

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:05 am »
Empirical Audio makes the Offramp USB-SPDIF converter.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:26 am »
Empirical Audio makes the Offramp USB-SPDIF converter.

Add an UltraClock option into this converter makes it a true performace winner in my system as did an upgraded Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

pardales

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2009, 11:59 am »
Having tried many USB to SPDIF converters over the last 5 years, I have thought the HagUSB to be one of the best when taking price/performance into account. The Hiface appears to have promise as well, but it seems early to tell.

I just got a M-Audio Profire 610 which actually takes Firewire out the computer and turns it into SPDIF (amongst a lot of other PRO recording functions). It also has 2 headphone outs. Anyway, it is really impressive and I believe better than the HagUSB (but at more than twice the price).

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 02:13 pm by pardales »

Raiderone

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2009, 01:53 am »
Thanks for the recommendations.  The M-Audio looks very interesting as it takes the firewire out and converts to SPDIF as opposed to USB to SPDIF. 

Do you think that firewire out has an advantage over USB out?

rsa

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2010, 09:40 am »
I use a (now-discontinued) Monarchy Audio DIP: http://www.monarchyaudio.com/DIP.htm They show up on audiogon from time to time and are scooped up almost immediately.

ferenc_k

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:49 am »
Thanks for the recommendations.  The M-Audio looks very interesting as it takes the firewire out and converts to SPDIF as opposed to USB to SPDIF. 

Do you think that firewire out has an advantage over USB out?

I had M-AudioFirewire Audiophile, Profire 610, 2662, Tcelectronic Konnekt 8, 24D, Live, then RME Fireface 400 and 800 and I like the M2Tech HiFace now most. Sounds better in my system than any of the mentioned others.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2010, 12:37 pm »
Why not simply use a toslink to coax converter? I am pretty sure that the headphone jack on the Macbook pro also provides digital out.

pardales

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:08 pm »

I had M-AudioFirewire Audiophile, Profire 610, 2662, Tcelectronic Konnekt 8, 24D, Live, then RME Fireface 400 and 800 and I like the M2Tech HiFace now most. Sounds better in my system than any of the mentioned others.

You need to consider your operating system when looking at the M2Tech HiFace (I hope to try it soon). It does not currently work with 10.5.8 but works with snow leopard. I have not heard the HiFace so cannot comment, but the Profire 610 is the best converter of this sort I have personally heard.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:00 pm »
Why not simply use a toslink to coax converter? I am pretty sure that the headphone jack on the Macbook pro also provides digital out.
It sure does, and it works very well too. Especially into the DIP.
Good value there.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:25 pm »
I use a (now-discontinued) Monarchy Audio DIP: http://www.monarchyaudio.com/DIP.htm They show up on audiogon from time to time and are scooped up almost immediately.

It looks like there is new version available from Monarchy Audio.

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/Classic_DIP.html

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2010, 05:00 pm »
Toslink will only do 24/96 from the MAC.  But the big question is: what is your coax only DAC?  Some of these rrecommednations (Offramp w/clock, for example) are meant for hi-end DACs.  Not worth spending $2k on a converter, when you have a $300 DAC (super overgeneralized, but you get my point).  The HiFace is a real contender IMO.  I like firewire personally (use Weiss DAC2) but many respected AC'ers love the HiFace.

newzooreview

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2010, 05:25 pm »
I second the HiFace recommendation (M2Tech.biz). I'm listening to it right now feeding a PS Audio DL III from my MacBook. They've paid good attention to controlling jitter, and their drivers allow full output of all resolutions up to and including 24/192.

One big caveat is that their Mac drivers are only a couple of months old, and they're still working on some popping and clicking that affects use on many Macs (including my MacBook). They worked on the PC driver first, and so it is the best developed and trouble free from all reports.

The good thing is that it's just plug and play. On the Mac side you need to be running the current system software (10.6) on an Intel Mac, then it just shows up as any USB audio device (so any sound your Mac plays can go through the DAC--streaming radio, High-resolution files through Play or iTunes, Youtube video, etc.)

Bear Heath

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2010, 07:47 pm »
I second the HiFace recommendation (M2Tech.biz). I'm listening to it right now feeding a PS Audio DL III from my MacBook. They've paid good attention to controlling jitter, and their drivers allow full output of all resolutions up to and including 24/192.

One big caveat is that their Mac drivers are only a couple of months old, and they're still working on some popping and clicking that affects use on many Macs (including my MacBook). They worked on the PC driver first, and so it is the best developed and trouble free from all reports.

The good thing is that it's just plug and play. On the Mac side you need to be running the current system software (10.6) on an Intel Mac, then it just shows up as any USB audio device (so any sound your Mac plays can go through the DAC--streaming radio, High-resolution files through Play or iTunes, Youtube video, etc.)

NewZoo,

When you output greater than 24/96 what does Audio Midi show for resolution? Does it display a value greater than 96 Khz?  Thanks  Sean

Raiderone

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2010, 10:22 am »
I've got an Exemplar "mini" dac.  After reading the above, I'm inclined to go with either the Hagtech or HiFace USB to spdif converters (I've got the most recent MB pro with Snow Leopard).  The only concern with the HiFace is that the usb plug and converter is integrated.  And with the coax cable on the other end, it might "stress" the connection and loosen it over a period of time.  On the other hand there is one less cable.