Left Handed knives - Resources, discussions, manufacturers....

Grumpy_Git

I assume this will only affet something like 7-10% of people but I would be interested if we could post information here relating to the above.

This is especially important to me as I am having some serious trouble sourcing a well made (read from a known brand) left handed bread knife in the UK, though international sources should be on added here as a body of knowledge. I am also interested in sourcing other items such as single bevel knives.

So if you can help, provide links etc.... I would be truely greatful.

Thanks all

Nick.

turkey

I assume this will only affet something like 7-10% of people but I would be interested if we could post information here relating to the above.

This is especially important to me as I am having some serious trouble sourcing a well made (read from a known brand) left handed bread knife in the UK, though international sources should be on added here as a body of knowledge. I am also interested in sourcing other items such as single bevel knives.

I'm left-handed, and I just use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-Victorinox-Curved-Fibrox-Carving/dp/B0006YYYIO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261147733&sr=8-3

It appears to be quite usable to dextrous as well as sinister people.

Dan Driscoll

I'm a lefty, but don't own any left handed knives. Most of mine are Henkels 4-Star and 4S-II, which have a neutral handle.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Most knives (Western ones, at least) aren't specifically left or right handed.  Japanese knives often are, and those can be generally broken down into ones with right-or-left-handed bevels and ones with right-or-left-handed handles.  Western patterned knives with a "handed" bevel will usually work about as well for a lefty or a righty.  Handles made for a specific hand can be a little more problematic; in the case of the ubiquitous Shun Classic, a right handed handle won't fit the left very well (although I will say I know many people who think it doesn't matter).  A traditional Japanese pattern, like a yanagiba, will definitely have to be made in a left handed version for lefties.

The two best places I can think of off the top of my head for left handed knives are Korin and JapaneseChefKnives.com.  They have tons of left handed knives (most can be purchased either way).

If you want a Wusthof, Henckels, or Forschner it doesn't make any difference if you're left handed or not.  They can be purchased anywhere.