Salk and Pass Labs Synergy

revrob

Salk and Pass Labs Synergy
« on: 17 Dec 2009, 05:52 pm »
Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading next year from a LSA Signature integrated amp to some Pass Labs equipment. Particularly looking at a used X250 power amp and a X-1 preamp to power my HT3's. Does anyone here used that combination? I like the LSA but feel like I could get more out of these speakers with the Pass stuff.

I know some might recommend Van Alstine but my heart is set for the time being on the Pass stuff. However any and all opinions and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Big Red Machine

Re: Salk and Pass Labs Synergy
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:01 pm »
The Pass stuff is uber quality in build.  I had an X1 but not at the same time as my X350.5.  i did not like the logic of its menus and it wasn't dead quiet in the system.

The amps w/o the X are not as recommended as those with the X for power and circuitry topology changes.

One thing to consider is the massive size and weight of that amp is cool until you try and sell it and ship it.  Very expensive to ship a 100+ lb. amp even in the factory box with handles.

I would not own Pass again due to the weight issue and my experience that the bass was decent but not as strong as the amp was heavy. 

Go tubes anyways and make some real music. :lol:
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2009, 07:22 pm by Big Red Machine »

revrob

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:13 pm »
Big Red,

Thanks for the information but I am definitely not into tubes and I don't want to. I am really looking for some advice for solid state only or some type of hybrid like I have now.

Thanks.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:55 am »
...my heart is set for the time being on the Pass stuff. However any and all opinions and recommendations are appreciated.

I've been driving a pair of HT2-TL's with a Pass Labs Aleph 5 (circa 1997) amp with amazing results. Class A SE, 60 watts into 8, 90 into 4. It's all there: uncolored midrange, airy highs, and rock solid tight (in my properly treated room) bass.

Pass's new XA.5 series does run in Class A. Look-see here: http://www.passlabs.com/products.htm

And before you consider a very expensive preamp read this article written by Mr.
Pass: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/first_watt_b1_preamplifier.htm
Not that I'm advocating that unit in particular, but in my humble opinion I think that in many cases no preamp is better than any preamp. Take a look at the Placette passives; your Salks will reward you in spades with detail and transparency.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:31 am »
Big Red,

Thanks for the information but I am definitely not into tubes and I don't want to. I am really looking for some advice for solid state only or some type of hybrid like I have now.

Thanks.

well, i know you have seen the recommendations on AVA, but... the Ultra amp series is hybrid, the Insight is solid state. If you hear it once, you will be done with your search. It is hard to ignore the synergism between Salk and AVA.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:16 am »
Big Red,

Thanks.

well, i know you have seen the recommendations on AVA, but... the Ultra amp series is hybrid, the Insight is solid state. If you hear it once, you will be done with your search. It is hard to ignore the synergism between Salk and AVA.

Yeah, the synergy of Salk and AVA is hard to ignore. Beside the audio shows they do together like AKfest and RMAF, there is this.

For about $2200 you can pick up a brand new, warranted, Insight Double 440H solid state amp. A Fet Valve Ultra Doule 550 hybrid amp? Only slightly more. Big, big power, known effectiveness with HT3s, a 3 year warranty, and 30 day 'No BS' money back guarantee. BTW; normal, or 'non-Double' amps, cost less. :thumb:   I just made a point of the double gear because of the power.  :oops:

I don't know what the Pass is going for, and you say your heart is set on it, but I'd give AVA a shot if the price is anywhere near equal.

Have fun,
Jerry

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:51 am »
There is also a used AVA Insight 260 on a'gon for 775.00 and a used AVA Ultimate 70 on AC for 850.00. 

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:34 am »
I'll bet one of these would sound great on the HT3s.

http://spectronaudio.com/specialoffers.htm

evan1

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:22 am »

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:41 pm »
The Pass stuff is uber quality in build.  I had an X1 but not at the same time as my X350.5.  i did not like the logic of its menus and it wasn't dead quiet in the system.

The amps w/o the X are not as recommended as those with the X for power and circuitry topology changes.

One thing to consider is the massive size and weight of that amp is cool until you try and sell it and ship it.  Very expensive to ship a 100+ lb. amp even in the factory box with handles.

I would not own Pass again due to the weight issue and my experience that the bass was decent but not as strong as the amp was heavy. 

Go tubes anyways and make some real music. :lol:

I own an XA30.5 and I have no issues in the bass department. The amp plays deep and has excellent texture to the bass. YMMV

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:17 pm »
Nice ht3s!  What color or finish is that?

martyo

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:37 pm »

Well, I have a friend with HT3's, (actually Big Reds old ones). He bought the Spectron after trying Bel Canto, Bryston, and my Double 550. After a couple weeks with the Spectron he borrowed my amp again. When we compared, we both thought the Spectron was very linear. It sounded lifeless, dry and 2 dimensional compared to the Ultra. I'll use the word opaque. My buddy returned the Spectron and bought the Double Ultra.
In his room and in his set the Spectron was not a good match.  8)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:46 pm »

Kinda look like burled walnut?  They are sexy.

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:48 pm »

Well, I have a friend with HT3's, (actually Big Reds old ones). He bought the Spectron after trying Bel Canto, Bryston, and my Double 550. After a couple weeks with the Spectron he borrowed my amp again. When we compared, we both thought the Spectron was very linear. It sounded lifeless, dry and 2 dimensional compared to the Ultra. I'll use the word opaque. My buddy returned the Spectron and bought the Double Ultra.

Was the Spectron the latest version with V-Caps?

You're right that all this stuff is system dependant. In my case, I tried an AVA Insight 440H, it sounded lifeless, dry and 2 dimensional compared to my Aberdeen TacT S2150.  8)

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:48 pm »

That is burled walnut with a really nice claro walnut front baffle.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:00 pm »

- Jim

I'm good! :green:

martyo

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:24 pm »
 You sure are:
            :thankyou:

- Jim

I'm good! :green:

:thankyou:                                                                                               

:D 8)

evan1

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:42 pm »

Works well for this guy

mr_bill

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:25 am »

evan1

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:31 am »