Has anyone removed a woofer in their VMPS speakers?

warnerwh

« on: 18 Jan 2004, 03:21 am »
Need to remove a woofer to get to the binding posts as one is loose on the inside and tightening a spade lug the whole thing turns. Took out screws but the woofer is in there and doesn't seem to want to come out with light prying and I don't want to damage anything. Also will I need any lining or a new gasket if I take one out? Thanks

Horsehead

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2004, 03:35 am »
I had to remove a woofer to find a cabinet resonance on my RM40.  You can thank Jim Romeyn (ribbonspeakers.net) for this easy removal method.

Remove all the screws from the woofer you want to remove.

Find four small objects ( I used four note pads about 4 inches high) and arrange them on the floor so they will contact a stable part of the face of the speaker cabinet- away from any drivers- I used the space on the side of the Neopanels.

Lay the speaker with the drivers facing down so the baffle rests on the objects you place on the floor.  At this point the speaker will be elevated off the floor several inches.

Go have a 6-pack and pizza and let gravity do the rest.  The driver will eventually fall out without having to do any damaging prying.  I placed some soft foam about 3 inches high underneath the driver I wanted to take out so it only had to "fall" an inch and have a nice gentle landing.

Hope this helps- it worked very well for me.

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2004, 04:32 am »
That sounds like a great way for the smaller speakers. For a larger speaker like the RM40 (and especially the RM/X), I would be a little wary about tipping them on end. I have found that a light, constant pressure in the vertical direction works pretty well. It may take about a minute or so but the bond/suction with the gasket will finally give. Do not try to pry the woofer out since you will only end up damaging the surround and it doesn't seem to make them come out any faster. When the driver finally "gives", it will pop right out with zero resistance so be prepared.

In most cases, the gasket will come out in one piece so really no need to replace it.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2004, 05:41 am »
Thanks for the info guys!