OK, you've got the Stratos Extremes, the Extreme SE's and the Glass Ceilings....

AnalogDog

So what's the dif between the SE's and the Glass Ceilings? I think the SE's improve on the Extremes with better resistors, capacitors, and wire, right? How's the Glass Ceiling improve on this? :scratch: Thanks in advance; gonna send my plain vanilla Stratos monoblocs back to Klaus in February, at the very least will Extreme them, but would like to know the different options.

lazydays

I've had the extreme SE's and now use the glass ceiling monos. There's no compairison between the two of them, and yet I still have no real idea what the difference is between them. The Glass Ceiling amps had better sound quality right out of the box over my mono SE's, and this I didn't expect! Seems like the upper end of the register is more fluid and open, with the bass having a little more presence (note: this statement can also be somewhat flawed as I changed out speakers right after I took delivery of the amps). What I would like to have done was to play them thru my old Meadowlarks before making the speaker switch, for about a month or so. If that makes much sense.
      Sometime after New Years I'm going to do some experimenting with preamps to see if I can drag anymore out of the system. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for except maybe some more transparency and an even more open upper end of the scale
gary

Wolfman

AnalogDog,
I went from SE's to Glass Ceilings as well,at least one part of the difference was the substitution of the newer double thickness circuit board(s).

If I recall,the Red Board replacing the Green Board was part of SE level,then to double thickness(now Blue) along with parts substitutions.

The Extreme starts off with the trannies being doubled,which is the biggest single change,then smaller part changes as you move up.

My SE's were an older variation,had a lot of outdated caps,etc. so I'm not quite sure exactly what now is the exact differences,but Lazydays is correct,I got the single biggest and most noticeable performance jump going from older SE to G.C. Same trannies tho. I don't think trannies change once you're at Extreme level.

Hope this helps in some way. Klaus will try to match mods up to your existing equipment/goals/budget so there's some leeway in each modded set,I believe no two are EXACTLY the same,but I could be wrong now. That's kinda how it was in earlier years.
Hope this helps.

AnalogDog

Thanks, Wolfman and LazyDays! Real world, I'm looking for where the biggest jump in sound quality is, for the buck. Is it in going from plain monoblocs to Extremes, or do I have to aim higher? Klaus says he can Extreme mine for around 6 clams and some change, which seems to be an outstanding deal to me. More fluidic highs are definitely one of the things I'm craving. I'd love to get the clarity and impact of Kismets, but I can't make a jump like that right now (well, I could, but probably not worth it, domestic bliss wise... :lol:) Maybe I need to ask what to expect sonically, in going from the Stratos monoblocs to the current (heh) version of the Extremes.

Wolfman

Strange,I replied and then tried to post and got my reply sent to the netherworld,hmmm....

Anyways,AnalogDog-I went from a Stereo Extreme to Mono Extremes SE so I'm not familiar with the standard Mono sound. You will get Bass and more impact from the double trannies,tho.
I imagine the highs will be determined by what boards/caps/resistors etc.

I would give Klaus every single detail of what you have and goals for upgrading so he can give you the best he can for the bucks. Santa Klaus and Alex are very,very good at this.

Be aware that after upgrading these things take a good long while to settle in. The majority of the changes should be audible around 250-300 hrs,but others have reported hearing slight changes all the way out to 500 hrs+.
They should be just slightly to the warm side of neutral,and revealing of upstreme components/acessories.
Hopefully you'll post with your impressions when the work is finished. Give them time,tho.
good luck.