How many watts per channel are you running to your HT3's?

stump4545

just curious to know what most guys run wpc to their HT3's?

is 200watts per channel sufficient or should i look for more horsepower?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: How many watts per channel are you running to your HT3's?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:41 am »
A watt may bot be a watt.  I had trouble running my HT3's with a Marsh 200 watt per channel amp, but no problem at all with Frank Van Alstine's  Insight amp, which is rated at something like 120 wpc. 

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:27 am »
307. 8)

Ambiance

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:09 pm »
There are so many aspect to consider. Just loking at power rating alone is not enough.

Impedance on speakers. Current capability on amp, Capasitance on amp, and construction what sort of loads is the amp built for.. Well in short it is all about matching the gear.  :)

Recomend to test the amp you are considering home if possible.

A.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:31 pm »
I've done it with:

Moscode HR401 200 wpc hybrid
Rowland 250 watt monoblocks
Belles 150A's each running 500 watts mono
Sunfire 600 wpc
Pass Labs X350.5 350 wpc
Wyred SX1000's at 625 mono watts
Etc.

See the Tim-the-tool-man-trend/pattern here?

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:08 pm »
Nice list of amps Big Red.
Which are your favorites?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:28 pm »

Out of those the Wyreds because they were dead silent, no clicks, pops, or any irregularities.  Gobs of power and in a dollar per watt ratio a clear winner.

Are watts, watts as Dennis eludes to above?  No, for sure.  My favorite amps of all time are my Dodd 120 watt monoblocks.  Tube heaven with ball stomping bass.  Now if I could only afford a pair of HT2-TL's to hook them to...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:30 pm »
307. 8)

Not to be overlooked.  Plenty of current and plenty of watts in that amp.

revrob

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:55 pm »
I used a LSA Signature integrated amplifier rated at 150wpc. I like the amp but may move to separates next years with something from Pass Labs. With my current setup I always feel like the HT3s would benefit from more power.

Curious what could the HT3s sound like with a quality amp with at least 250 or more watts.

dmatt

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:21 pm »
I started my HT3s with two Channel Island D200s (200 watts per channel).  Went to a McCormack DNA 500 at 500 watts per channel (nice improvement -- especially in the bass control, but I think it was more than just the watts, it was also a move from class D to class A/B, so too many variables).  Finally settled on two Modwright KWA-150s running bridged (monoblock) with something like 450 watts per channel.  Improvement over the DNA 500, especially when running the high bias.

I love the Modwright amps, as I said, a nice improvement over the DNA 500.  However, for what you can buy a DNA 500 used ($3300 - $3500 on Audiogon) lately, it has to be one of the hi-powered bargains out there.

David

ctouhey

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:22 pm »
Jim is still building my HT3s (and HTC), but this past Saturday I finally unboxed and hooked up the amp I purchased just for them - a McIntosh MC303.  It is conservatively rated at 300 watts/channel for any load.  The HT3s are 8 Ohm and the HTC is 4 Ohm, and I thought the MC303 provided the best option for driving the 3 speakers and maintaining consistency across the front.  The tube world seemed like a deep pool in which to dive, so I decided to swim in familiar waters.

I was surprised at the dramatic improvement in sound from my 10 year old Mirage speakers (2 OM10s and an OM C2).  (I was using an old Yamaha RX-V995 receiver to drive them.)

I had to save money somewhere, and since I'll only use the rear speakers for movies, I went with Klipsch KS-525-THX and an Anthem MCA 20 to drive them.

Regards,
Chris

BPuckett

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:56 pm »
I use two McIntosh MC162 amps, each running in bridged mode, one for each channel.  They supply 320 Watts into 8 ohms and 500 Watts into 4 ohms.  They have high current capabilities, and they drive my HT3's perfectly.

Bob

jermmd

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:05 pm »
I used to use a 250 watt/channel Parasound 5 channel amp and now I have a 500 watt/channel California Audio Labs multichannel amp. They both have plenty of power for my HT3's. I used to have EAD 200 watt/channel 5 channel amp that I feel was superior to the higher spec'd Parasound and would have been plenty for my HT3's.

Oh yeah, I also had a DNA McCormack DNA-500 with my HT3's and it was very, very good.

mr_bill

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:35 pm »
That's a big compliment considering you had the Pass 350.5 super amp in your list.

Out of those the Wyreds because they were dead silent, no clicks, pops, or any irregularities.  Gobs of power and in a dollar per watt ratio a clear winner.

Are watts, watts as Dennis eludes to above?  No, for sure.  My favorite amps of all time are my Dodd 120 watt monoblocks.  Tube heaven with ball stomping bass.  Now if I could only afford a pair of HT2-TL's to hook them to...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:48 pm »
That's a big compliment considering you had the Pass 350.5 super amp in your list.

Wyreds replaced the Pass and no regrets.

funkmonkey

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:53 pm »
...Finally settled on two Modwright KWA-150s running bridged (monoblock) with something like 450 watts per channel....

That is exactly what I would like to "settle" for :)  Even one of Dan's amps to run in stereo mode (which is supposed to be excellent as well) would be a good place for me.  Right now I am using a Parasound Halo A51 to passive bi-amp my HT3s (250wpc, but not sure how it adds up when bi-amped like that) and have no complaints... until I can swing either a Moscode, or a Modwright KWA 150   :drool: