Brand new Linksys WAP54G wireless router for sale 1/2 price

drphoto

I was having major problems w/ my last gen. airport extreme, so I ran out and got this. I could not get my mac system to work with it, though I've set up systems w/ 'PC' routers before. Brand new, but opened, so not returnable. Cost me $84. I'll sell for $40 inc. shipping CONUS. My stupidity, is your gain. Check or MO please as no paypal account.

WGH

Re: Brand new Linksys WAP54G wireless router for sale 1/2 price
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:10 am »
Sorry to hear you can't get the access point to work, networking can be such a pain. A router's default IP address usually has to be changed so it does not conflict with the modem (it has to do with the DHCP Server setting), something like 192.168.2.1 might work*, but since this is a "for sale" thread consider this a bump.

Wayne

Edited for clarity *An access point's IP address is 192.168.1.245
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2009, 03:16 pm by WGH »

rahimlee54

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:44 am »
Routers do not care whether or not it is a PC or mac they just broadcast internet signal.  As long as the router is working correctly it will work. 

JEaton

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:32 am »
Just for anyone considering this, make sure you understand that this is not a wireless router.  It's a wireless access point.  It has a single wired network connection that plugs into your local network and provides access to the network to wireless clients.

A wireless access point differs from the more commonly used wireless router in the following ways, among others:

• It doesn't route or provide network address translation, so can't be used to share a network connection.  A wireless router creates a separate network behind itself, and has a single upstream IP address that it routes to/from the local IP addresses behind it.  A WAP just provides access to whatever network it's attached to, and doesn't provide network sharing.
  • It doesn't provide a DHCP server.  So devices connecting aren't given IP addresses by this device.  You would either have to manually configure IP addresses and settings for the wireless clients connecting through it or else another device on the network would have to provide DHCP service.
  • It doesn't contain an internal switch, meaning that it doesn't have multiple wired ethernet ports to give network access to wired clients.  It only provides connectivity for wireless clients.

Typically, you'd use a WAP if the above functions were provided on the network by other devices.  For instance, if you had a firewall that provide routing/NAT and DHCP.  And you'd usually have a network switch for connecting wired devices.

I use a WAP on my home network, but have the following:

- cable modem
- firewall/router, which provides DHCP and NAT
- network switch, for attaching wired devices
- wireless access point

Typically, in a home you'd have just the cable/DSL modem and a wireless router.  It's a little like the difference between using a receiver vs. using a pre-amp, power amp and tuner.  You get more hardware choices and configurability with the latter, at the expense of more equipment and more cables.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:07 pm »
Here is a picture that shows how an access point works. Notice the router between the AP and the modem.
I have been using the D-Link EBR-2310, $25.99 with free shipping from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127091&Tpk=dlink%20ebr-2310

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:54 pm »
man, I am an idiot.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:36 pm »
Ok, if anyone has a need for this thing, LMK. You can have it for free + shipping, which would probably be $5-$10 using USPS flat rate.

JEaton

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2009, 08:30 pm »
The Linksys WAP54G would be perfect for anyone who already has a wired-only network and wants to add wireless connectivity without having to replace or reconfigure their wired-only router.  Also, with some network installations the 'modem' that the ISP provides already does routing and DHCP and allows computers to share the Internet connection.  If the ISP's modem doesn't also offer wireless, then the WAP54G would be ideal and makes setup easier than using a wireless router for the same task.

The WAP54G can also be used as a wireless repeater.  If you have a poor wireless signal in an area of your home and need to extend the reach of the wireless network, you can use the WAP54G.  For compatibility, it it would probably be best used with another Linksys router, so it would a good mate for the millions of WRT54G_ routers in use.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2009, 12:47 am »
This is a screaming deal guys, you can easily set up a huge wireless bubble around your house and property.

mark@marktwain

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:26 pm »
Ok, if anyone has a need for this thing, LMK. You can have it for free + shipping, which would probably be $5-$10 using USPS flat rate.

I'll take it, email sent.

Mark

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:47 am »
email replied