PLEASE READ: economics, self-policing, etc. . .

pjchappy

PLEASE READ: economics, self-policing, etc. . .
« on: 16 Dec 2009, 08:12 pm »
Since several posts have degenerated into personal attacks, offensive content, or political content, I am going to be more strict in my role as a Facilitator in The Pub.  We were all hoping a little "self-policing" would go a long way, but it hasn't worked out just the way I would have liked it to.

Please be mindful of what you post here in The Pub and please read the guidelines before you post or reply to any threads here.

Due to their political nature, posts regarding economics will no longer be allowed in The Pub.

Please remember, this is an audio site and audio is why people come here!   :thumb:

Paul

turkey

Re: PLEASE READ: economics, self-policing, etc. . .
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:06 pm »

Please remember, this is an audio site and audio is why people come here!   :thumb:

So? The circle is not audio-related.

"this circle is here for the community to discuss non-audio related topics."

I have thought for a while that things are too compartmentalized on this site and some others. There's a lot of "not in my circle!" and moving threads around like a foster child.

I suppose I can understand not discussing politics. However, economics should be fine as long as people avoid politics. But I guess people can't do that. :)

It's a good thing that the Republicans don't like vinyl and tubes, or you'd have to shut down the whole site.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:52 pm »
Let's give Paul a break. He's just keeping the peace.
 :thumb:
-Tony

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:03 pm »
Let's give Paul a break. He's just keeping the peace.
 :thumb:
-Tony
+1

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:46 pm »
+2     :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:34 pm »
Well Paul, unlike Turkey, I think it's about friggen time you put your foot down and you have my full support Paul, for whatever THAT's worth.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:49 pm »
Paul,

You have the support of the majority of members.  Troublemakers are always a minority.  They make a lot of noise, poke, prod, cajole, incite, and always try to test the limits.  It's the essence of who they are.

You're doing a great job.

Steve

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:22 pm »
I don't really have any problem with him enforcing whatever rules. I was just pointing out that part of his statement didn't make sense.

I made a couple of other points that probably didn't belong in this discussion.

It's always nice to see who the brown-nosers are though.  :thumb:

pjchappy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:30 pm »
Sorry I wasn't perfectly clear for you Turkey. . . . . .

How's this: "Please remember, this is an audio site and audio is the main reason people come here.  They don't come here to read personal attacks; political or religious arguments; or someone's nitpicking of another member's comment that everyone else understood."

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2009, 08:11 pm »
As someone who is interested in both audio and finance, this is a bit of a downer.

It's too bad a minority cannot take the politics out of their economics and have to ruin it for the majority.

Hey, not to sound political, but that's how the world works right?

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2009, 08:41 pm »

I have thought for a while that things are too compartmentalized on this site and some others. There's a lot of "not in my circle!" and moving threads around like a foster child.

I suppose I can understand not discussing politics. However, economics should be fine as long as people avoid politics. But I guess people can't do that. :)

It's a good thing that the Republicans don't like vinyl and tubes, or you'd have to shut down the whole site.

Turkey, this forum is run by individuals with their own individual rules. We are putting our time and our effort into making this site a great place to be. Regardless of how "fair" or unfair you find it is of absolutely no consquence. Be a big boy and go post on Redstate.com or Moveon.org depending on your political leanings. They talk politics and economics at both sites nonstop. No need to pretend that audiocircle.com is the only place on the net for conversation.

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2009, 09:51 pm »

Turkey, this forum is run by individuals with their own individual rules. We are putting our time and our effort into making this site a great place to be. Regardless of how "fair" or unfair you find it is of absolutely no consquence. Be a big boy and go post on Redstate.com or Moveon.org depending on your political leanings. They talk politics and economics at both sites nonstop. No need to pretend that audiocircle.com is the only place on the net for conversation.

I'm not familiar with either of those web sites. I also didn't do much discussing of politics or economics here, and I didn't say anything was fair or unfair in this thread. So I'm a bit puzzled at your reply. Are you telling me you want to take your ball and go home?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2009, 10:52 pm »
Keep in mind we lost the sports bar due to frustration with bad behavior. Paul and others stepped up to get it back (now the Pub) where we could discuss non-audio topics, but with the requirement that people play nice.  It is just easier to play nice without such a volatile subject such as politics.
Unfortunately politics and economics are joined at the hip and it was too easy to stray into political discussion.  So there seemed to be quite a bit of leniency given for a while, but it seems to have been deemed not worth it.  So hopefully that decision leads to a less divisive atmosphere. 

What is done is done. Let's just move on, eh?

Pez

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2009, 11:15 pm »
I'm not familiar with either of those web sites. I also didn't do much discussing of politics or economics here, and I didn't say anything was fair or unfair in this thread. So I'm a bit puzzled at your reply. Are you telling me you want to take your ball and go home?

Cute, I was trying to tell you to keep your opinion as to what should and should not be allowed to yourself unless you plan on contributing something other than peanut gallery comments. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2009, 12:29 am »
Keep in mind we lost the sports bar due to frustration with bad behavior. Paul and others stepped up to get it back (now the Pub) where we could discuss non-audio topics, but with the requirement that people play nice.  It is just easier to play nice without such a volatile subject such as politics.
Unfortunately politics and economics are joined at the hip and it was too easy to stray into political discussion.  So there seemed to be quite a bit of leniency given for a while, but it seems to have been deemed not worth it.  So hopefully that decision leads to a less divisive atmosphere. 

What is done is done. Let's just move on, eh?

Well put!  The Sports Bar/Pub, one of the things that made (and makes) AC special, is the chance to share some other interests and ideas besides audio.  Photography, sports, cuisine, vacation spots, etc., hobbies all!   Economics and economic policy, while of interest to me and I am sure a hobby to others, is simply too close to the third rail that is politics.

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2009, 12:41 am »
Unfortunately politics and economics are joined at the hip...

Just like music and audio.  Try as you might, you can't keep them separate.

pjchappy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:46 am »
Alright. . .let's move along now. . .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:15 am »
Hmm... Deja vue all over again.  :|
Unfortunately rules will be made for, and changed for, a very small majority minority.

If you like the Pub, then don't shit in it.
Simple as that.

Bob

EDIT: for having my head in my ass.
Kinda kills the meaning didn't it?  :roll:
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2009, 04:15 am by Bob in St. Louis »