mac newbie, and impressed

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
mac newbie, and impressed
« on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:25 pm »
I bought my first mac. It is a used mac mini (g4, 1.42, 1gb, 10.3 os, aka "original"?) to use  to feed a DB audio labs tranquility Dac. The guys recommended a mac mini as a better "transport" over a laptop because of things like the display being away from it. 

I just got the Mac and the brand new Dac setup yesterday. From what I heard already, in just the first night, I am very glad I did.  As it is setup to immediately import the songs to aiff when the cd is loaded, I think it acts essentially like the ps audio perfectwave transport, but for a lot less. I am not up to speed on all of the details on this discless audio yet, but this is some seriously good stuff going on here!  I have a squeezebox duet, and it was sorely lacking compared to my cd player. And it seems like its quite pricey to get it to a high performance class.

I was having a hard time figuring out how to make it more convenient as a remote control. I hear a lot of people want to use a ipod touch or iphone, but I am not willing to spend that kind of money yet. I did find a bluetooth "rocketfish" keyboard at bestbuy for 31 bucks last night. And it makes for a decent remote control, just using the arrow keys to select the songs, or keypad to direct select. Although it does need a monitor this way. But if I treat it as a cd player, then the only thing I think I lack is an eject button. So I need a mouse to  click that. I hope I can find a way to setup a key, or key combination to do that... any ideas?

-Tony

wilsynet

Re: mac newbie, and impressed
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:23 pm »
Yes, but get the iPod touch (or iPhone if you're in the market for a new phone) anyway.  It is quite a wonderful remote control for iTunes, and you can also surf the web on it, read your email, etc.  It's a first class device and I don't think you'll regret the purchase.  Although it seems like quite a bit of money for a remote, it does many other things so well.

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:31 pm »
Yeah, I imagine I will do that, but just a while later.  :green:

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2009, 05:34 pm »
Well, found that there was an eject key combo from keyboard... Command-E.

Love it.