Some questions about the OB7

jdbrian

Some questions about the OB7
« on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:28 pm »
Hi Folks

New member. My name is Brian and I have been looking for a speaker to replace my Newform 645's. I need something that is a bit smaller and easier to move. I like some aspectds of the Newform's sound but lately find the ribbon sounds a bit crude to me.
  I have a few questions about the OB7. Is the tweeter used as a dipole? I couldn't seem to find that info. on the GR site. How are the dynamics in the mids with the 2- 5" drivers operating open baffle?
  My room is 20ft X 12'6" wide by 8ft high. I am looking for some way to change the sound interface with the room as I have battled this room for years and have never been able to get the sound I like. I am thinking that the open baffle mid's in the 7 would cut down on early reflections and that the 4 drivers for mid bass/ lower midrange would average out some of the room modes in their range. I am currently running a big sealed box sub for the bottom end but want to change to 2 smaller subs so I can get more optimal placement. With a sealed alignment what is the typical in room response of the 7 on the bottom end. It looks like it might be a good candidate for a sub with the sealed box.
  If anyone is familiar with the Newforms I would like your opinions on them and also general impressions of the OB7.

Thanks
Brian

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Some questions about the OB7
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2009, 05:37 pm »
Welcome to AC, Brian.  I can't give you a comparison, but several of the members here have the OB-7's and hopefully will see this and add their two bits. I have spent several hours with the OB-7 and have a pretty good memory of it.  The tweeter is mounted on the open baffle.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2009, 07:57 pm »
While I can't speak about the OB-7s, I have heard AV123's X-Statik which is very similar and also designed by Danny.  I found the x-statik to sound incredible.  Very big, open soundstage.  The OB7 has an even better tweeter so you can expect even better resolution of the high frequencies.  I don't believe the tweeters are dipole, just the woofers.

You should also consider Danny's Sub kits.  The sealed servo sub is seriously great for the money.  They can do music and movies with astounding power, speed, dynamics, and accuracy.  I built the single sealed version but now I'm seriously considering building a pair of dual open baffle subs as I've read too many glowing reports on them with regards to Danny's V series.

For what it's worth www.atsacoustics.com sells very nice and inexpensive room treatments which work very well and look great.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:48 pm »
Hello Brian,
 I have not heard the Waveforms so I cannot give a comparison but am familiar with the OB-7. The tweeter is not open in the back (don't know if Danny has this option available) but the midrange is exceptional. With a larger room for the speakers to breath, they provide an very wide soundstage.
 With the OB-7's sealed cabinet, the bass is very tight and fast. Not quite the extension as the OB-5 but I would prefer the speed and dynamics over a few extra frequencies.

Using crossover components of choice, you can warm them up a bit or stick with the SoniCap crossover for a clean articulate presentation. I personally preferred a warmer sound from the tweeter but this is only personal, subjective preferences.

Being a kit you can build yourself, you can finish to your liking and decor.

For the money, the OB-7 is a no-brainer.

jdbrian

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:56 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I would be building from a kit. My Newforms are in cabinets I built myself. I have also been looking at the servo subs. I have built tube amps, subs and speaker cabinets but have never done crossover design.
   I just feel the need to make a change in the system to overcome problems with the room. At the same time I would like to have speakers and subs that are more easily moved.   My homebrew sub has 2 Dayton 15" series 2 drivers in about 7cuft. It weighs about 200lbs and is so big that I cannot position it where bass is best. I am driving it with a Hafler 220 and have an external crossover and a pole shifter type EQ circuit of my own design. I also use a Behringer DEQ2496 as a DAC and EQ.
    The V series looks interesting but I wonder if the dynamic range is high enough in the deep bass. That said, I still remember the Carver Amazing speaker from the 80's. A dipole with 4 10" woofers and a ribbon. Still the best sound Ive heard.
Regards, Brian

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm »
    The V series looks interesting but I wonder if the dynamic range is high enough in the deep bass.
Regards, Brian

The servo driven bass is the best thing I have ever heard.  The accuracy is simply stunning.  As far a dynamics, it is one of the primary things about this speaker that has drawn rave reviews.

newportcycle

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2009, 11:29 pm »
How about some photos of those tube amps you've built.  Im selfish, they are on my to do list, Ive been thinking about some 80 to 100 watt tube mono blocks for the new OB-7's I'm building.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2009, 06:09 pm »
You don't have to design the crossover - Danny provides a schematic so it is easy to set up.

The bass on the Super-V's is most excellent.  I would probably give it best of show at RMAF 2009.

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I would be building from a kit. My Newforms are in cabinets I built myself. I have also been looking at the servo subs. I have built tube amps, subs and speaker cabinets but have never done crossover design.
   I just feel the need to make a change in the system to overcome problems with the room. At the same time I would like to have speakers and subs that are more easily moved.   My homebrew sub has 2 Dayton 15" series 2 drivers in about 7cuft. It weighs about 200lbs and is so big that I cannot position it where bass is best. I am driving it with a Hafler 220 and have an external crossover and a pole shifter type EQ circuit of my own design. I also use a Behringer DEQ2496 as a DAC and EQ.
    The V series looks interesting but I wonder if the dynamic range is high enough in the deep bass. That said, I still remember the Carver Amazing speaker from the 80's. A dipole with 4 10" woofers and a ribbon. Still the best sound Ive heard.
Regards, Brian