Vinyl

1ZIP

Vinyl
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:52 pm »
Wow!   Got my new P3 today with Elys Cart.  I had forgotten how great vinyl can sound and it's not in an optimum system either:  P3, Bellari V-130 phono amp, B-60 and Paradigm Studio 20's.

Looking forward to connecting it to the 26 and 4Bsst2!

1oldguy

Re: Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2009, 12:43 am »
Pictures man,Pictures :thumb: Always loved seeing TT.Congrats.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2009, 02:47 am »
Wow!   Got my new P3 today with Elys Cart.  I had forgotten how great vinyl can sound and it's not in an optimum system either:  P3, Bellari V-130 phono amp, B-60 and Paradigm Studio 20's.

Congrats. Definitely get the Bryston phono stage in your BP26 if you don't have it. Or buy a BP 1.5. You won't be sorry. It'll lay waste to that Bellari!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:30 am »
The P3 is a great table.  Congrats.  I'm not a huge fan of the Elys (or any of Rega's carts), but I won't hold that against you!  There are worse for more money.

What's not optimum about your set up?  Please don't say its the B60.  My heart will be irrepairably broken.  The Studio 20s are a fantastic speaker IMO.

If you can get the internal phono stage for whatever piece you'll ultimately use the table with, that should be a huge upgrade.  A lot of people rant and rave about the Bellari, but I just don't get it.

If you're unsure about what system you'll ultimately use the P3 in, check out the SimAudio LP3.  Its a great phono stage that's very flexible and somewhat inexpensive.  I think its the benchmark at its price point.

Also, I know I said it before, but the TT-PSU should at least be auditioned.

Since I just spent a ton of your money for you, I'll stop right there  :lol:

Have fun with your new toy.  Collecting and listening to vinyl can be a lot of fun and a very rewarding experience.  A friend of mine just gave me 7 milk crates of vinyl yesterday.  My back is killing me from lugging it out of his attic and into my loft/listening room, but my ears have no regrets!

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:57 pm »
Hmmmmm.....looks like it's time to sell the 4B ST and get new toys,  Ya gotta love this hobby!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2009, 03:33 am »
You also gotta love how an approx 15 year old amp will still fetch a pretty penny.

Kicking tires a little bit...
If you're serious about selling it, let me know.  I can't swing anything right now, but if you're going to get rid of it in a few months or so, I might be interested.

vegasdave

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:03 am »
The P3 is a great table.  Congrats.  I'm not a huge fan of the Elys (or any of Rega's carts), but I won't hold that against you!  There are worse for more money.

What's not optimum about your set up?  Please don't say its the B60.  My heart will be irrepairably broken.  The Studio 20s are a fantastic speaker IMO.

If you can get the internal phono stage for whatever piece you'll ultimately use the table with, that should be a huge upgrade.  A lot of people rant and rave about the Bellari, but I just don't get it.

If you're unsure about what system you'll ultimately use the P3 in, check out the SimAudio LP3.  Its a great phono stage that's very flexible and somewhat inexpensive.  I think its the benchmark at its price point.

Also, I know I said it before, but the TT-PSU should at least be auditioned.

Since I just spent a ton of your money for you, I'll stop right there  :lol:

Have fun with your new toy.  Collecting and listening to vinyl can be a lot of fun and a very rewarding experience.  A friend of mine just gave me 7 milk crates of vinyl yesterday.  My back is killing me from lugging it out of his attic and into my loft/listening room, but my ears have no regrets!

Sim Audio? Come on man, we don't need none of that around here.

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:46 am »
Stu;
Sent you a PM.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:47 am »

I was waiting for that  :lol:

1Zip,

PM received.  I'll get back to you tomorrow.

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2009, 11:56 pm »

I was waiting for that  :lol:

1Zip,

PM received.  I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Yeah, let's keep it all Bryston except for speakers! haha.

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:24 pm »

Very cool, you're gonna love it more and more! I second (or third?) the suggestion that you get an internal phono stage for whichever Bryston preamp that you'll be hanging onto the longest or whichever has the most utility for you. The Bryston phono is excellent and as an internal option, it isn't too expensive.

For external use so that you can move it into other systems or not worry about losing an internal unit if you do sell an item, I can enthusiastically recommend the Dynavector P-75 MkII. It sounds great and is very flexible, but perhaps most importantly, it costs about half of what other preamps with similar sound quality cost. Of course it has a great synergy with DV cartridges but you'll also find it a huge step forward from the Bellari with any cartridge.
-Bill

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:40 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into Dynavector.  I'm probably at some point going to ship the 26 back to Bryston and have them install a phono stage.

cheviot100

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:08 am »
Glad you've rediscovered vinyl. I've got a Rega p25 on a wall shelf with a Clearaudio Syncro power supply and a Rega Apheta. BP26 with phono and 4bsst into a pair of s8e Spendors. The Apheta was a shot in the dark based on no listening, just reviews. I'm delighted with the result. ANd a b60 for another pair of little s3/5 Spendors in the dining room (And Linn Ikemi/Pekin/Numerik for CD and radio and Squeezebox) It's all pretty sublime and I'm happy with the path I've taken.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:45 am »
I was going to suggest the Dynavector phono pre too, but felt as though I was spending too much of 1Zip's cash.  The Dynavector is a phenominal phono stage worth every penny of its $750 or so asking price.  I'd take it over a buch of others I've heard that cost more money.  If I were to upgrade my phono stage (B60 internal) the Dynavector would be my next logical step.

1oldguy

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:07 pm »
Has anyone had experience with VPI TT?Thoughts?
http://www.vpiindustries.com/products_aries3.htm
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2009, 05:00 pm by 1oldguy »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:05 pm »

1oldguy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:12 pm »
Hi James

have you ever heard any of the VPi?Any thoughts?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:29 pm »
Hi James

have you ever heard any of the VPi?Any thoughts?

Yes I have heard it a number of times and I think you would find it an excellent value.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2009, 10:10 pm »
I will recommend the Technics 1210M5G. Great for the price!

1ZIP

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm »
VPI makes very highly regarded TTs.  The Scout ($2000 w/aluminum platter), Scoutmaster ($2500) and the Classic ($2500) all have gotten excellent reviews.  The VPI HRX ($12000.00) is nice also.  I came close to getting a Scout but I thought the Rega P3-24 was a better value and a good performer.  More importantly it fit my current needs.  A couple of years from now when I'm up to my waist in vinyl I'll spring for a better TT.  But that means a better cart., better speakers, better phono amp, etc..  You know...... the vicious cycle that keeps the audio industry in $$$ and us in the poor house! :)