Songsub impressions? or Rythmik 12"

bigred7078

Songsub impressions? or Rythmik 12"
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm »
Hey all, i've been in the market for a new sub as of recently. I have Vienna Acoustic speakers and having been trying to find something that blends with them nicely. My last sub was an MFW-15 and while it could certainly provide plenty of bass, i could just never get it to play nice with my speakers. I was waiting for the matching Vienna Sub to come out but now they are only going to be releasing it in small quantities and pricing it at $4,000  :roll:

I have currently been looking at the Rythmik F12SE http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html
I have read nothing but great things about it.

BUT i am drawn to the the quality of Salk speakers and there endless praise. I just have not read much about Jim's Songsub. The finish on my viennas is a dark rosewood and I would just LOVE to get a close match to them...I would be stoked if this is possible (Jim is currently looking into the venner match for me). If anyone has suggestions on a venner match that would be great!

Here is the finish on my Viennas if anyone has any suggestions.

Also here is a pic of the sub VA came out with in this veneer.

So all that being said, what everyone think about the song sub?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 06:03 am by bigred7078 »

Ace Deprave

Re: Songsub impressions?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2009, 02:08 pm »
I don't know if I've read very much about the Song Sub on here, but I'd like to hear some impressions as well. I'm currently saving up for Song Towers, so I'm going to have to keep my old Velodyne CT-100 sub, but I'm mostly happy with it. At least until I replace my 14 year old Polks.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2009, 02:17 pm »
There have been a few threads that have asked for SongSub feedback.. I own one and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I don't really have a good comparison. My old sub was an old Acoustic Research 12" with a 120W amp. Needless to say, moving to the SongSub was a night-and-day difference. The bass goes low and it's nice and tight. I'm constantly being amazed by how much low-end material I now hear when listening to CD's.

I also found it quite easy to integrate with the SongTower's.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:42 pm »
I believe that Jim can also finish a rythmik sub in any veneer.

bigred7078

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:09 pm »
There have been a few threads that have asked for SongSub feedback.. I own one and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I don't really have a good comparison. My old sub was an old Acoustic Research 12" with a 120W amp. Needless to say, moving to the SongSub was a night-and-day difference. The bass goes low and it's nice and tight. I'm constantly being amazed by how much low-end material I now hear when listening to CD's.

I also found it quite easy to integrate with the SongTower's.

thanks for the feedback!

bigred7078

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:09 pm »

really? hmm this might be appealing to me since i was originally looking for a small sub...

Big Red Machine

bigred7078

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:50 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72962.0
Very cool, thanks for the link. I've actually read that thread and didnt really think anything about it lol. BTW which Rythmik sub is that?

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:22 pm »
Very cool, thanks for the link. I've actually read that thread and didnt really think anything about it lol. BTW which Rythmik sub is that?

That is not an existing Rythmik design.  We took the Rythmik 15" and did a custom dual 15" passive radiator version.  The result is a very large sub that plays deep with authority.  I has all the advantages of a ported version of the Rythmik 15" but with no port noise.  This is especially beneficial when it plays deep as port noise at around 20Hz and below results in high air velocity (and thus chuffing noise) through standard ports.

- Jim

bigred7078

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:31 pm »

That is not an existing Rythmik design.  We took the Rythmik 15" and did a custom dual 15" passive radiator version.  The result is a very large sub that plays deep with authority.  I has all the advantages of a ported version of the Rythmik 15" but with no port noise.  This is especially beneficial when it plays deep as port noise at around 20Hz and below results in high air velocity (and thus chuffing noise) through standard ports.

- Jim

Ahh Thanks for the Clarification Jim. BTW check your PM's.

Jeff B.

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:05 pm »
I was just discussing with Jim regarding the possibility of a smaller sealed sub with the capability of extending quite deep. The Oaudio amp allows for some very special tuning in a sealed sub. Or the Rythmik 15" could be done sealed and servo and be smaller than the big passive radiator version. The trade-off will be less maximum SPL, but I doubt few people push one to the extreme anyway. The Songsub is a very good subwoofer, but other options also exist depending on someone's preferences and needs. I designed the Songsub, but I am presently using a smaller sealed sub with a 12" Rythmik driver and the Oaudio amp equalized flat in my room to 17Hz, and I have not felt that I really needed more output even when I crank things up.(My wife prefers a smaller sub, so I made one that went deep and was still small - everyone's happy). There are many possibilities and I would be glad to work with Jim on the details if something custom needs to be made.

Jeff B.

really? hmm this might be appealing to me since i was originally looking for a small sub...

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:48 pm »
Wow...between Jeff and Jim's hospitality you just can't lose.  You guys never cease to amaze me!

bigred7078

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:01 am »
well i guess a bit of an update is in order lol.

I have been emailing Jim and we've been talking about building a rythmik design using the 12" woofer. I want it to be smaller so this is really what i have been strongly leading towards. I believe he is still trying to track down a veneer to match though.

MukAudio

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:24 am »

I have been emailing Jim and we've been talking about building a rythmik design using the 12" woofer. I want it to be smaller so this is really what i have been strongly leading towards. I believe he is still trying to track down a veneer to match though.

You could buy some HT2-TLs at the same time and then the veneer process would go a little easier.   :icon_twisted:

Mark.

bigred7078

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:18 am »

You could buy some HT2-TLs at the same time and then the veneer process would go a little easier.   :icon_twisted:

Mark.

haha dont think i have not thought about that before...

I just cant right now...Perhaps in a couple years when the new job takes off, Then I can get Jims latest and greatest  :D

rlee8394

Re: Songsub impressions? or Rythmik 12"
« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:03 pm »
Jeff,
I designed the Songsub, but I am presently using a smaller sealed sub with a 12" Rythmik driver and the Oaudio amp equalized flat in my room to 17Hz,

That's definitely something I'd be interested in!

Ron