Help!! Too many options.

cliffy

Help!! Too many options.
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 03:25 am »
I have a Dell Zino on order (actually 2 but thats another story :duh:) that I was going to hook up to my TV via HDMI and my stereo via a Nuforce DAC.  I have a Homewire Network port available or Wifi for Internet access.  I was thinking of using this to play lossless music files (have not decided on format) and internet radio.

Then I saw the post below about the $180 SqeezeBox and ordered one of those as well.

Any thoughts on the quality of the built in DAC vs outputting digital (either optical or Coax) to my existing Onkyo receiver (TX-DS484). 

I have not figured out how I am going to run the Zino without a monitor.  I don't really want to have to have my TV on all the time.  I suppose I should be able to access and control it over my home network via my laptop.  Any recommendations or advise would be appreciated.

doctorcilantro

Re: Help!! Too many options.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2009, 03:15 am »
Install J. River in the Zion and laptop. then you can use library server feature to either stream audio to laptop or control the master server.

UltraVNC is a good one for remote control of entire PC though.

DC

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2009, 03:35 am »
Windows Remote Desktop but it might not come with the Home Version of Win 7.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/turn-on-remote-desktop-in-windows-vista/

cliffy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2009, 06:00 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I cancelled one Zino due to delivery delays.  I am still supposed to receive on on 12/22.  We shall see.

My laptop is running XP Home and and the Zino is Win7HomePremium64 bit, so I have to figure out a work around for remote access.

Thanks again.