Testing tube for short....

Leadfeathers

Testing tube for short....
« on: 13 Dec 2009, 06:56 pm »
Greetings, all -
   For the 3rd time in a month, I've blown a fuse in one channel of my Music Reference RM9 amp, which indicates a shorted tube I think.  Since I've got 4 power tubes each side (EH6550's right now) and only 1 fuse for the channel, the challenge is determining which tube is the culprit.  I don't see any difference in the tubes by visual inspection, so I'm wondering if there is a way I could test the tubes for a short by a continuity test on the pins?  Don't have a tube tester. 
   Thanks in advance for any advice offerred.   Jeff

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Testing tube for short....
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:46 am »
After it shorted the first time did you replace any of the tubes?

Leadfeathers

Re: Testing tube for short....
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:57 am »
Yes, did replace one, chosen by process of elimination.  Not such a difficult process really, since I can run the amp with either the front or rear pair of tubes installed.  So, replace the blown fuse, remove one pair of tubes (on both channels, of course), energize, and wait to blow fuse or not.  No fuse blows, the short is in the other pair of tubes.  Then its a case of choosing which of the pair is the bad one.
   The first incident was one of the rear pair; this last in the front.  Both times I chose the wrong one to replace with a new tube.   :|  But, really, just another fuse and a little time and I'm back up and running.
   One thing that is surprising to me though is that these fuses don't just blow, they EXPLODE.  I mean, shards of glass on the bottom of the cabinet.
   This tube experience just gets more and more interesting. :)

Oh, one final note:  since my first post, I determined which pair was bad, and did continuity on both of those tubes, only one of which is bad.  They both tested the same from pin to pin.  So no real help there.  Still, would appreciate anyone's suggestions for determining a bad tube without a tester.
   Thanks again.