Blackhole and Sonicaps upgrade for HT3s

stump4545

Blackhole and Sonicaps upgrade for HT3s
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm »
improvement over stock HT3 or not really?

in what instances are these upgrades worth it?

thanks

jermmd

Re: Blackhole and Sonicaps upgrade for HT3s
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 11:26 pm »
Without having compared HT3's with and without the upgrades, I did not get the upgrades for my HT3's. If I were to buy new HT3's, I still would not get the upgrades.

If you believe high quality speaker cable and interconnects make a significant sonic improvement over adequate wires, you may find the upgrades worthwhile.

Joe

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2009, 04:02 am »
Typically, No-Rez/BH can make a semi-dramatic difference depending on what the stock material is.  Improving Caps is also quite noticeable if you were to compare tracks back and forth...and much moreso than improving the quality of wire.  However, that too, depends on the stock material used.  Since I'm not familiar with the details behind the HT3s, I can't say much there.  There are all sorts of upgrades available for various speakers...better binding posts, wire, etc.  Caps and cabinet material are likely going to give you the biggest improvement out of anything.

With nice electronics, you'll get more of a benefit out of higher-end caps.  Blackhole should improve the sound quality in any system if the stock material is just basic stuff.  Altogether, you're talking about a..idk...5% improvement in SQ?  (if one were to quantify it...)

Just my .02...

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2009, 04:28 am »
Probably like many I have not heard a speaker with and without.  I chose the sonic caps.  Next would have been the black hole.  Wish I could have done both at the time.  I know this does not answer your question but if you can afford it go for both.

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:37 pm »
I have not heard any comparisons either, but my speaks have the Blackhole. I didn't have a choice because we bought Jim's HT3's at RMAF 2007. Minimizing cabinet resonances would be right at the top for me. YMMV  8)